Restrictions after surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that I will have to sleep on the recliner for awhile. I have one of those beds that are much higher than most. I have to use my arms to get into it. Using my butt is impossible, because to top of my mattress is higher than my butt.

Thinking of maybe getting some "doggie stairs"!:D

Showers: I was told to stand backwards (no seat) so the water did not hit my incission and only elevate one hand at a time when shampooing. (The one hand seems to be direct opposition to something another person on this list was told. HMMM...I was told that two hands up changes your blood pressure and the strain on your heart.)

I slept with lots of pillows and on my back. Once home I used a support pillow to roll on my side. I am a side sleeper so really craved a good night's sleep that only side-sleeping could provide.

The standing-up advice here is also different from what I was told. Everyone was in agreement at Hopkins that you should slither to the edge of bed or chair then rock, rock, rock (no arms to touch bed or chair) until you had momentum to stand up. I only gave that up recently, ha ha!

I am still small-busted, even though I am "fat" in other ways. I was yelled at (see old Toots thread) by a physician's assistant to wear a therapeutic bra, but frankly I found braless easiest on me. I did get some sternum pain 3-4 weeks after OHS and started wearing a bra 24X7. I soon was back to wearing a bra only during the day. The sternum seems to have healed just fine.

My son laid the upper end of my mattress on top of the vertical support of the bed (next to the wall). The lower end of the mattress rested on the bed. A vertical piece of wood acted as a barrier to prevent the mattress from sliding. I think this was an excellent solution. The angle of the mattress was perfect for a good sleep. It also was a help with laying down and standing up.

Juan

Like Braveheart, I've got a high bed that made it difficult to do the hospital-bed roll. I don't really remember how I negotiated it, but figured something out so I could sleep in my own space. But other than going braless (blessed relief), I pretty much wore the same stuff I always wear (which tends to be loose and comfy), and slept with a sausage-shaped pillow under the right side of my chest. I couldn't sleep on my left side until about two months out, but at three months almost everything's back to normal, I'm exercising, working, and really enjoying life. This is the new lease we're given--so take it easy while you need to, but don't be afraid to get up and go when you're ready.

One bit of advice I would pass on, though, is to wean yourself from high-powered pain meds as soon as you can. Even though I was uncomfortable, knowing what hurt and where was actually helpful. It made me restrict movements when necessary, but also let me know when I was ready for each new step. By the time I saw my surgeon at about 3 weeks, I was off the narcs and only needed a little help from an occasional ibuprofen after that. Even though we want to be comfortable whilst recovering, it really does help to know where it hurts.

Well,Mr. Braveheart solved the problem of the too high mattress. He simply placed a one step stool (Rubbermaid makes them) next to my bed. I think that I am going to use it all the time.

As far as narcotics are concerned, I had been using them for quite a while, because of severe back problems. I have been cutting down though, and am using about 3 5mg. Lortab a day.

Back