Resting heart rate going up after stopping BP meds. Is that ok?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanmenta

I am 8 months out from having aortic repair and valve replacement. I'll be turning 48 this year. I have a question about resting heart rate and BP meds. I was on Lopressor after my surgery until about 3 weeks ago. I asked my cardiologist if I could go off them because I felt I was having some negative side effects (weight gain, lethargy). Since stopping my energy if much better and my weight is starting to go down. However, I have noticed that my resting heart rate and blood pressure have started to creep upward. Before stopping the Lopresor my resting heart rate was around 65, now three weeks after stopping it has steadily increased to around 82. Blood pressure was at 110/70 now is 130/85.
Other than wondering about the significance of these numbers I feel great.
What are your resting heart rates and BP? Anyone have any similar experiences?

Thanks!

While I'm not familiar with your particular med, some meds (beta blockers) have the effect of lowering resting heart rate. I was on lisinopril and had the same effect, as well as having a ceiling on my max heart rate. No matter how hard I pushed on the bike, I could not get above 130bpm. Switched off linsinopril to a different med, all is now well. As is always prudent, ask your cardiologist.

Hi

deanmenta;n855257 said:
...However, I have noticed that my resting heart rate and blood pressure have started to creep upward. Before stopping the Lopresor my resting heart rate was around 65, now three weeks after stopping it has steadily increased to around 82.

considering it is exactly the intended purpose of the drug to lower BP and HR that it has increased going off it is entirely expectable. To me the goal you should have is how to manage those (HR and BP) with moderte exersize and diet.

I find that when I restart training my resting HR starts to go down. Even if I've got sick for a few weeks with a persistent cold my resting HR sneaks up on me. When training regularly its low 60's when not training its high 70's or low 80's

I had to look it up. Lopressor = Metroprolol. So yes, a beta block slows the heart rate. We are typically put on it to reduce the stress on the heart for a while after surgery. Some longer than others.

The question is: what where your numbers before surgery? If they are back to what they were, you shouldn't be surprised.

My resting HR varies between 50 - 65. I've exercised pretty hard much of my life.

Reactions: Amy

Latest posts

Back