Rescheduled for Tuesday, March 2nd

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RANDYJEAN

Originally, my big day was February 16th. Arrived for pre-registration the day before with a cold. :( As predicted, the coordinator called the doc on his cell (it was a holiday) and he said to cancel and reschedule. Whew. A small reprieve!

But now I'm back to facing the music this Tuesday. Can't wait to get it all over with. I'm a little concerned that I'm still a bit congested from the cold, but I've been practicing with the spirometer and it's helping. A friend of mine who's a former respiratory therapist is gonna be with me every step of the way.

Once again, I have to say it seemed like the medical professional (this time the hospital cardiac center coordinator) seemed to be trying to steer me away from the portal access procedure, but oh well. My primary care doc says to pay no attention. :) Coordinator said the route through my ribs will be more painful than the sternotomy, but that the recovery will be easier. She also made a point of reminding me that in 10% of the cases, a sternotomy ends up happening anyway, so then she counted the extra incisions I'd have. (Made me feel a bit like a gambling idiot, but hey. I've made my choice.)

Meanwhile, my dad's been moved from the hospital back to the nursing/rehab place. Most of what's going on with him has fallen to me to take care of, so it's been hard to prepare for my own stuff. I tell myself that once I get through the surgery, anytime I start to feel sorry for myself--or complain about pain--I'll just think about how bravely he's faced everything in the past nine months.

Anyway, that's the update on me. Aortic valve replacement this Tuesday. Going with tissue. Oh, and for anyone interested, the surgeon is Dr. Eli Capouya and the hospital is St. Joseph's in Burbank, California.

Wish me well! I'll see y'all on the flipside. :)

Randy

Wishing you the very best, Randy. Hope you breeze through the surgery with portal access and have a bump free recovery.
Please let us know how you are doing as soon as you are able.

What's with the coordinator. One tried to talk me out of the port access as well. I have to say that I experienced no pain to speak of..........but everyone is different.
She kept dwelling on more pain through the ribs song too. I did not mention this to my surgeon.........but wanted to. I think the surgeons would be horrified with his habit of second guessing them and the patient.

Latest posts

Back