Reposting as a member - surgery in April

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DachsieMom

I was having techincal difficulties and could not post last week as a member (only guest, and couldn't respond), but seem to have these issues resolved -- so posting again. I am scheduled for surgery in April to replace my aortic valve with a mechanical valve and a portion of my aorta due to a thoracic aortic aneurysm. I am a little unusual - my aneurysm is quite small, but I am very small (4'10", 100 lbs). I am 41 years old. My sister recently had the same operation (successful!). I am just wondering if there is anyone else like me on these boards with young children. I have so many questions about what I will be able to do during my recovery and when -- I know everyone is different, and I am finding some answers by reading these boards. My basic questions revolve around when I can be left alone (I think after the first week), when you drove/went back to work, and silly questions like when I can go in a lake with my children (I am thinking I might need to wait a bit due to bacteria/other gross items in a lake). Also, I think my husband will only be able stay with me the first night in the hospital, so he can be back at home with the kids the other nights -- is that okay? Do I need someone with me overnight in the hospital after the first night? I don't think I will have too many visitors in the hospital, as my parents and husband will have to be helping my children, and the hospital over an hour from my house. My regular doctor also mentioned that I should inquire with my cardiologist about a home coumadin monitor. Any recommendations? Does insurance cover this expense (machine and test strips)? I have no idea of the cost. I think I will finally meet my ridiculous deductible this year, so ig a home minitor and test strips are prescribed, this is the year to buy them (I know test strips are an ongoing item)! Thank you in advance. This board is very helpful.

Welcome! I had my AVR and aneurysm repair a year and a half ago and have some thoughts for you. the first night after surgery you will be in ICU, with very restricted visitation. Eventually, you'll be moved to a room for the remainder of your hospital stay. I found having my wife stay, once I got in the room, to be a comfort, although not necessary. Your husband might as well go home the night of surgery, as he won't be able to be with you much, and would be sleeping in a lounge. I also lived about an hour from the hospital. Swimming won't be possible for a while after surgery-as far as I recall, a month to get in the water, due to infection concerns. Once I got home, I felt comfortable being alone, you just won't be able to lift anything. The coumadin monitor would only be useful if you elect to receive a mechanical valve-coumadin is not necessary with biological valves. Good luck!

Joe

Latest posts

Back