Reminder: Medical Alert info bracelet, necklace, etc.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Info on my bracelet gives a phone number and says CALL COLLECT........

I wouldn't know how to call anyone collect today. (Do we have telephone operators anymore?)

Yours doesn't have the tollfree 800 number? Maybe you need to update your emblem..I can't imagine many people would know how to make a collect call either

Last edited:
As a recent aortic valve recipient, I hadn't even thought about getting a med alert bracelet/necklace. So, taking your advice, I have ordered mine today! Thanks for the reminder...

Catwoman

What is "Call Collect" ?
I have only ever heard of toll free 1-800 numbers.

Some times they call it reversing the charge, Its when you want to call someone, but it cost money (either because you're using a pay phone or it is long distance ect) and you don't want to pay or don't have money for the payphone (do they still have many pay phones?) you go thru the operator by dialing "O" before the number, and tell the operator you want to have who you are calling pay for the call. The operator stays on the line and when the person you are calling answers the phone, the operator says so and so wants to collect call, will you accept the charges? IF the person agrees they let the call go thru, if the person refuses you can't talk to them and the call doesn't go thru.

Is the bracelet just for people who have mechanical valves and are on coumadin? Is there any reason to have one for those of us that have tissue valves?

Is the bracelet just for people who have mechanical valves and are on coumadin? Is there any reason to have one for those of us that have tissue valves?

Many people who have tissue valves and don't take a coumadin don't have them. Unless they have them for another reason that doctors need to know incase of an emergency. When Justin had his pacemaker he wore his 24/7, but now that he doesn't have that and isn't on any meds, he usually doesn't wear his, unless he is snowboarding or working out of town for a few days (at a job people can pretty easily get hurt at) and that is mainly because I ask him to.

If the dog tag has all the information on it such as i have a St Jude Mech Valve serial number etc and i am on coumadin what is the 1 800 number for and what are the yearly fees for.

Last edited:
If the dog tag has all the information on it such as i have a St Jude Mech Valve serial number etc and i am on coumadin what is the 1 800 number for and what are the yearly fees for.

When you sign up you get a medical ID number and that number is on the emblem along with the 800 number. Depending what condition you are in, or if they have your purse or wallet, if you're unconcious it would help to be able to find out your name, address, home phone number ect. also who to contact in the case of an ER, (I think we had 3 people to try to contact) and who your doctors are and their contact info and even what language you speak.
When you sign up for medicalert You list all your medical conditions and any surgeries you've had, and meds you are on and anything you think it would be important for the doctors to know if you can't or might forget to tell them.
If anything changes (Including your ER contact people or their numbers, THAT is something I forget about) you just call and they update your info, or you can just go online and update your files.
You can sign up online ect, but if you do it over the phone, I thought they were pretty helpfull at deciding what should be on the emblem for them to see right away and what is fine just to have on their files. They also asked some questions, I wouldn't have thought to mention when I was filling out the forms.
You could probably get an idea by going thru the sign up process and seeing the questions they ask, then you could just cancle instead of signing up at the end.
The fees probably go to pay for the medic alert staff and operators ect.

Do you have a Medicalert bracelet with an 1-800 phone number that they can call and get alot more info than is what is on your emblem (such as surgeries, doctors contacts people to call in case of an emergency?) or one of the other companys that just have the bracelet and no other service? I think if you have an actual medicalert.org or one like that with the phone service, you are probably fine with just the bracelet.

On my medicalert bracelet there is a phone number for the UK with like a code of letter and numbers in it, then a brief description of what i've had done,
So mines like:
Tel UK (gives Number)
Aortic valve replacement,
On: Anticogualnts
(Code)

xxxx

On my medicalert bracelet there is a phone number for the UK with like a code of letter and numbers in it, then a brief description of what i've had done,
So mines like:
Tel UK (gives Number)
Aortic valve replacement,
On: Anticogualnts
(Code)

xxxx

I personally think you'd be fine with out your card.

the 800 number also provides medical Contact info ...mine is regitered with the whole soup to nuts from the hospital and the team my GP, Cardio, Surgeon, endo.,nephro,.EP., etc to the nuts........ ME

The fact that your meds list is readily on hand ESP if it is as extensive as mine so that anyoone treating use has the tools to do the job if you can't help and the chances of that is real

Just got my Medical History Bracelet referred to by DriveTopless. Think its great, particularly for anyone who travels or participates in athletics. You just pay one time fee for the flash drive type device that fastens as a bracelet around your wrist. No annual fees. You plug it into the USB port in your computer and input your personal info, medical history, allergies, points of contact, doctor's name and number, medications, blood type, etc. Even allows you to include a picture of yourself. If you need to you can update at any time. I could not find it locally so I ordered through the mail and it arrived in less than a week. The website is www.medicalhistorybracelet.com And its affordable too.

I have all my info on a flashdrive that's in keyring holster. The holster is labeled I.C.E. (In case of emergency) I have several types of files, which should be readable by any computer. (PDF, doc, richtext)

I included all my medical conditions, my meds, my procedures, my doctors, my anuloplasty band info, height, weight, birthdate, insurance info, picture, emergency contact info.

Considering all my "issues", I should probably get a bracelet, too.

Latest posts

Back