Recommendations for surgeon for mital valve replacement or repair?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mascasa

Back from my husband's tee. His mitral valve is severe and there is also a peravalvular leak around the aortic valve. The leak with the mitral has progressed in 15 months. As I have mentioned in an earlier post this could be his 5th open heart. If we stayed in California our surgeon will not be the main surgeon to perform the surgery. Suggestion was made yesterday to go to back to Cedars, where our surgeon is not currently at. but out surgeon might be in the operating room. Surgeons are doing a risk assessment this week. So I have been looking and talking with Cleveland Clinic. Any suggestions would be great.

Last edited:
You'll probably get a lot of recommendations out here as a lot of people are partial to their own surgeons, assuming everything turned out well. I guess I'm no exception in that regard because I would definitely recommend my surgeon of choice but he's on the other side of the country from you. Dr. Bavaria from the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.

I went to California from Seattle to Stanford and Dr. Craig Miller. A top surgeon and a top hospital. Good combination as it turns out, I needed both as my surgery and recovery were complex.

Chris

Thank you for the responses. I was able to contact the Cleveland Clinic. We sent medical records there and Dr. Gillinov will be reviewing. We are also pending a risk assessment from a surgeon recommended at Cedars Sinai from our own surgeon. Now the waiting begins...

Thank you for the responses. I was able to contact the Cleveland Clinic. We sent medical records there and Dr. Gillinov will be reviewing. We are also pending a risk assessment from a surgeon recommended at Cedars Sinai from our own surgeon. Now the waiting begins...

Looks like one recommendation from Cedars is to fix or plug the perivalvular leak first and see how my husband does. Then if the fixing of that leak doesn't help open mitral valve surgery. Still pending Cleveland which should or could be sometime next week. Anyone ever have a perivalvular leak fixed via the groin?

No, but I did have my mitral stenosis addressed via groin (valvuloplasty balloon) and that was awesome. I'll probably need the valve replaced in the next 1-5 years, but I've gotten 12 years out of it so far. They're thinking if that they fix the aortic perivalvular leak, the mitral may also resolve?

No they are possibly thinking that it may give take some of "pressure" off if this leak is fixed first. I get the impression no one is wanting to rush back into a 5th open heart. However, hearing that my husband's is a severe leak on the mitral with no possibility of "clipping" and being a little symptomatic they may want to wait. But again waiting for Cleveland to respond and see what their suggesting.

Back