Question for The Women (Plastic Surgery)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caligirl

This question is for the women of the group. I am 28 years old, have BAV with trace regurgitation, and a 4.3-4.5 Ascending Aortic Aneurysm. My aneurysm as of now is stable and I only see my cardio once a year. I want to get a breast augmentation, I have always wanted to have this procedure, and I was going to until my diagnoses of this heart condition last year. My cardiologist and the plastic surgeon I want to go with are both at Stanford. The plastic surgeon said my BAV and aneurysm shouldn't be a problem, but he will do the surgery in the OR at the hospital rather than at the outpatient center they usually use just in case, and I am planning to see my cardio once more before I actually have the procedure. My question is has anyone had this or any type of plastic surgery with BAV and or aneursym?

I haven't been in your situation, but I do have a suggestion for one additional consultation before you make a final decision. Meet with a valve surgeon and discusss it with him/her.

I would have 2 concerns that might be addressed. First, whether the plastic surgery now would make a valve/ aorta surgery more difficult or dangerous in the future. Also, whether it would limit your surgical options to a mini or full sternotomy. All things being equal, you may prefer a mini-thoracotomy because the scar is easier to hide. With an aneurism repair, a mini-thoracotomy may not be an option, plastic surgery or not.

The second concern is the scar itself from open heart surgery. I had a mini-sternotomy 3 months ago. Even though the scar is only 3", it is high on my chest, basically ending where my cleavage starts. At the current time, I cover it whenever I am outside to minimize exposure to the sun. Eventually, I expect it will be visible. You need to start thinking about how a scar like this will play into your body image if you have the plastic surgery.

I think GailinCA had her open heart surgeries at Stanford, so she may be able to recommend a surgeon. My surgery was up the road at Seqouia Hospital.

Best of luck in your decision. -- Suzanne

Caligirl,

The scars from open heart surgery won't be in the same place as your implants. The main scar will likely be a straight line down the center of your chest and it will fade over time to a white line. The chest drainage tubes will leave small scars on either side of your chest/abdomen (below the area you're concerned about). I've known women whose OHS scar was very faint. They didn't seem to have a problem with wearing whatever kind of blouse they wanted. I suppose a surgical scar could always be minimized later by a plastic surgeon if it bothered you. The decision to do your plastic surgery at the hospital sounds like a good idea so they're prepared in the extremely unlikely event you have heart-related complications during surgery. One final note... you say you've always wanted to have this plastic surgery. You might be reassured to know that a lot of men just don't care about whatever you think you're lacking. There's a lot to be said for 100% organic (except for the necessary heart surgery of course).

FWIW, I agree with Guyswell. You could always wait until a little while after your OHS and have a scar revision and the implants at the same time, by the plastic surgeon.

Latest posts

Back