Question about Second and Third Opinions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJC62

Hi all,

I have been asking questions to find out what others have gone through. My boyfriend will be going in for surgery soon and I want to know as far as having second and third opinions - he was going to see a surgeon in another state. Is it usually protocol for the new surgeon he is seeing to run more tests even though he brings his medical records of what tests have been performed already?

Thanks,
AJC62

When I went out of state for another opinion, they were happy to take the tests that had already been done, assuming they had been done within 30 days, except for an echo because they did a much, much more thorough echo. They also then ran many other tests that I hadn't already had run. I don't think it is unreasonable for a surgeon who is going to be opening you up to want his own tests done to make sure he has a complete and accurate picture. My insurance paid for it all.

Kim

Beside what kfay said, usually the surgeons will want CDs Dvds of the actual tests and not just the written report, so they can look at everything themselves. It isn't uncommon to just have all the tests etc sent to doctors farther away to get an opinion and not have to travel until you decide that is we're you want the surgery. Im a little confused, didn't he already have one or more opinion in the Boston area and then in north Carolina or wherever his mom lives?

It also can depend upon where those tests were done and who did them.
If the surgeon happens to know the facility or doctor who performed those tests and trusts the reliability of them, he would be more apt to accept them than if they were done at a heart center he has less first hand knowledge about.

As stated above, it would also depend how old those tests were and the quality of the CD's.

It's a little surprising his Mom didn't come to him (if that is possible) vs him going to NC. Boston has such fine heart centers one would think he would have opted for one of the top five heart centers in the U.S. right in his own backyard. Of course, none of that is my business and there well could be very good reasons.

Hi Kim

Thank you and that is totally understandable. He hadn't had any tests done since end of January I'm pretty sure so I bet they will run their own or maybe they already have. He was supposed to see the surgeon in NC on Monday. He told me he would let me know how it went but I haven't heard from him yet. He has been pretty depressed, which is understandable.

AJC62

Hi Lyn,

I know he was bringing the records with him and yes, he had an opinion from a surgeon in CT and then was going to NC to help his mom out who had knee replacement and while down there he was seeing a surgeon who was affiliated with Duke Medical which is a top rated hospital. I hope he opts for surgery there since his uncle went with him and there will be family to help him out.

Thanks,
AJC62

Yes, that is true. He had his last angiograph in the middle of January and he saw a doctor in CT a few weeks ago but he had brought his records for him to view.

Well, I agree with you - I kept telling him to go into Boston but I can't make his decisions for him and he was going to call a few in Boston but he was very overwhelmed so opted to go and talk to a surgeon at Duke in NC since his mom lives in the area and she had knee surgery probably about 3 weeks ago. He was going down with his uncle and would help his mom out and then when he has surgery she can in turn be there for him.

Thanks,
AJC62

Latest posts

Back