question about hospital stay

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crawal

Hi all
Well I am now 5 days and counting til my surgery. For those of you who have had AVR how long were you in ICU ...and what was your total hospital stay?
Trying to keep very busy for the next 5days!
Amy

Amy, my situation was far from normal. I had some complications after surgery, so I spent about 5 days in ICU, then 4 more days in the coronary unit. Others will remind us that your experience may (should) be different. . .

Hi Amy, was in ICU for 44 hours (counting the time from the anesthesia and being wheeled out of ICU, in a wheelchair of course). I had asked for a semi-private room and they told me that it would take a few hours longer before one became available so maybe my stay in ICU may have been shorter, I'm not sure. The total length of stay was 4 days. In on Monday pm and left Friday pm.
Best of luck, I'm sure everything will be fine.

I had mitral replacement and was in CICU under 24 hours. I was moved to step down and walked the first day post op.

I came home on day 5 post op.

I had an AVR last October and was in ICU less than 24 hours and then home on Day 5 post op. No complications and walked as much as I could to get out of there as soon as possible.

HI Amy,

I am scheduled for the 20th so I am in the same boat as you. But my surgeon informed me that 24 hours ICU and possibly a week total but I expect to be out before then. I've been very busy getting work done with my clients and then trying to get my house clean and organized for when I get home....not a lot of time to dwell on this. I feel positive for us.....we will be fine...we're in great hands. Hang in there with positive energy and prayers to you.

Jeri

I had AVR plus ascending aorta replaced--surgery was about 6 hours--was in ICU less than 24 hours--went home the 5th day after surgery. I could have gone home a day sooner except that I was in afib and did not feel comfortable going home yet so they let me stay another day.

I was told the average stay is 4-7 days. I, like Steve had a few complications so I spent a total of 16 days in hospital with 3 days in ICU (but that definitely is NOT the norm and I was in the minority so don't use me as a gage).

I too am the exception and stayed in Club H way too long ....family damn near went broke with parking fees only after I was out did we find out that they offered weekly/monthly passes at reduced rates

Last edited:
I was in CICU for less than 24 hours, in surgery Monday morning and out Friday morning. I walked (leaning on a wheel chair) from my CICU room to the step down unit, and I was lucky enough to get a private room. When I was readmitted for atrial flutter I had a shared room, and I now understand how valuable that private room was for me the days after surgery!

Admitted 3/25 for pre-op cath. Surgery for MV repair, 3/26 AM. Sat in chair in ICU, 3/27 AM. Moved to step-down, 3/27 evening. Discharge, 3/31.

Hi Amy,
I had an AVR and spent the first two days in CICU, was moved to telemetry for two more days and then released. I wish you the best and look forward to you feeling better after your surgery.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back