Question about Anuerysm symptoms

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caligirl

Hi everyone, I am looking for advice regarding symptoms I feel are associated with BAV and ascending/arch aneurysm. I was just diagnosed with everything in May of this year. My first echo showed the aneurysm to be 4 cm, went for a ct found it to be 4.4. I was not happy with that cardiologist, went to Stanford for a second opinion had a Stanford echo found it to be a max diameter of 4.5 and trace to mild aortic regurgitation, Stanford Cardiologist placed me on metoprolol 12.5 mg daily and wants to see me back in December for a follow up and new echo to check growth rate. On 06/20 I was rear ended in a car accident not too bad but I had a CT done at Stanford to ensure my aorta was not damaged. Stanford CT confirmed a for sure bicuspid valve Sievers type I and ascending aneurysm with a max diameter of 43 mm no dissection. My question is now I am having upper left back and chest pain all the time, its not severe but its definitely there. I have pretty bad shortness of breath since starting the beta blocker feels like I cant take a deep breath a lot of the time. I called Dr Millers office at Stanford and asked them to see me for a surgical consult I spoke to his nurse practitioner and she told me that the chest/back pain is unrelated to my aneurysm, and that when I am ready for surgery my cardiologist will refer me to them. I am just confused because every website I look at says that the symptoms I am having are related to my aneurysm and that symptomatic patients should have surgery regardless of size. I am a bit of a hypochondriac, and always think something is wrong for example last year I had an outer ear infection and was convinced it was malignant otitis externa, so I am wondering if the symptoms are anxiety related. Any advice will be appreciated.

Am I reading this correctly, that the pain is new or worse since you were rear ended last month? Have to gone to a doctor to have your back and neck checked? If not I probobly would, we actualy thinking about it when Justin wasrear ended a couple years ago after his 4th or 5th OHS, I cant remember, we were a little concerned about his heart and Aorta, but because of the timing of his pain we had his back checked and it turned out the pain was because of his back muscles. Hopefully yours is the same especially since you've had a CT of your Aorta that showed the Aorta wasnt worse, since the accident and Stanford said the pain is not related to your annuerysm.
Good luck getting answers

Thanks Lyn,

Yes the back pain has really only come about since the car accident. My chest pain has kind of always been there but 2 diff cardios have told me its unrelated to the aorta. The only thing that is scaring me about the back pain is that its right in between my shoulder blades to the left of my spine right where I would think my heart is.

Thanks Lyn,

Yes the back pain has really only come about since the car accident. My chest pain has kind of always been there but 2 diff cardios have told me its unrelated to the aorta. The only thing that is scaring me about the back pain is that its right in between my shoulder blades to the left of my spine right where I would think my heart is.

I have a similarly sized aortic root enlargement and I have had a sore point in my upper back, left hand side for a couple of years now. My consultant is not concerned, but I can't help but wonder. It's there much of the time, and on a scale of one to ten, the pain is only a two or three. If I try really hard to relax my shoulders it sort of goes, so I'm wondering if it's stress. Just wish it would have been on the right side instead!

dont go by what the nurse says, even if she is right. Go to your GP and get it assessed and they can always arrange for a referral to surgeon... no harm done, and peace of mind. Anxiety does create unusual pain.

Doctors as well as the nurse practitioner are saying the pain is not related to your aneurysm. Aneurysms are asymptomatic until something really bad is happening, like disection. Yours has not done that. That would constitute a medical/surgical emergency. So, I would be looking for other causes of your pain.

Also, I believe I may have recommended Miller to you. I referred myself to him, and based on my earlier echo results, he agreed to see me right away and strongly recommended surgery within 5 months. Your situation is different. You have a Stanford cardiologist now, and I think based on their assessment and perhaps Miller's, you are not yet a candidate for surgery and a meeting with Miller now is premature. And without saying it in so many words, that's what the nurse practitioner was indicating. They want to see you again in December. In the meantime, if your doctors are saying the pain is not cardiac-related, then what is it and what do they recommend?

Latest posts

Back