Purple/Blue finger tips and nails

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustin

The last couple of month I frequently have purple/blue coloured finger tips and nails, especially afer some workout. Is this caused by my aortic stenosis?

Cheers,

Hi, Dustin, it could very well be from aortic stenosis.. After I had my Aorta Valve Replacement, I noticed how pink my fingernails looked, I hadn't even realized that they had had a bluish tint to them Rose

One of the questions my cardio always asks me is if I've noticed that about my own fngertips and nails. PLEASE call the cardio's office on monday and report this change. I do not suspect it to be an emergency, I do think that it is something new and should be reported. The doctors are very keen on changing symptoms and that may be one. So it is worth a phone call to report it and get some feedback on it.

Why don't you hold off on the workout until you have spoken to someone......just to be extra cautious.

Good detective work, by the way. I think it is very important to notice changes and report them. This is a slowly progressing disease but seems to kick into gear on a whim sometimes.

Probably nothing, but let us know what they say.

:) Marguerite

Before my surgery, my tongue was always purplish, and if I was tired, my lips and a ring around my mouth would turn blue. I never noticed my nails, but when I was in the hospital with RF, they always checked them just in case.

Yes..........

Yes..........

this can be related to your aortic stenosis - emphasis on can. Prior to Katie's valve replacement and fontan, her lips and fingers and toes would constantly get smurfy when she got winded, ill, or cold. I'll never forget one day at the beach. It was cloudy and 88 degrees, but the water was still pretty chilly. Within ten minutes, Katie was purple.............I mean purple! :eek: Had to take her inside and lie down next to her to try and get her warmed up. Scary! Anyway, it is due to poor circulation............and in Katie's case, oxygen sats of 80. Hugs. J.

Eric has blue tinted nails too....

Eric has blue tinted nails too....

due to his lowered o2 sats like Katie. His oxygen levels run in the upper 70's to low 80's and he gets winded easier. When he is very active he does look bluer - or as J has said of Katie - quite smurfy. I would report this change if you've never noticed it before. Our motto is better safe than sorry.

Janet -- I will never forget the first trip we took with Eric to the beach and we had him in the pool one evening as big sissy couldn't survive the night without going in the pool. Well, the water was warm but being night time an the air cooler -- Eric was blue then purple -- I was the nervous mom and started freaking out and got him out and wrapped him in like 2 or 3 towel and held him until he pinked up a little -- when we got home I asked his cardio and she so calmly replied -- oh yes, he will look blue and purple a lot easier but he's just fine -- he'll do that when he gets chilled...

Fingers and hands blueish

Fingers and hands blueish

I will have had my valve a year this May. The last couple of weeks we've noticed that occasionally my hands and fingers will look bluish. They're not cold and no tingling. We've wondered about this. I've felt OK other than this.

Thanks!

Now that my husband's AVR is almost a year and a half gone, we realize that, before his surgery, he had the same thing, gray face, big circles under his eyes, bluish fingers and always cold. It's amazing to see photos of before...and compare them to know.

Thanks for the informative replies. I'll definitely check with my cardio and see what he thinks about this. The colour of my tongue seems to be normal, but I have never really checked this frequently to notice a possible difference.

Latest posts

Back