pounding heart and timing of medicine

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megan

hi all. does anyone think there is a relation between the timing of when you take your coumadin and having increased pounding in your heart? i have been fine during the days but at night- even if im sitting straight up-the pounding is almost unbearable til i fall asleep from pure exhaustion.

also-- any tips on how to get comfy in bed.. the tossing and turning is making my hubby sleepless too!

Never noticed this in relation to Warfarin. Are you on beta blockers and is it related to that ie. if you take 'em in the morning there will be a lower dose in your system by the time you go to bed.

yes on a beta blocker but i take it at night. but its almost 9 am now and its pounding right now too!

Many members have reported having a Pounding Heartbeat following surgery, especially if they had aortic stenosis. It tends to lessen as the heart 'adjusts' to having a 'new and improved' valve.

The cause is thought to be because the Heart Muscles had become conditioned to pumping against a stenotic (i.e. partially closed) valve and continue to pump accordingly. Hopefully it will 'recondition', but it does take time.

Many members also reported 'fitful' sleep in 2 or 3 hour spurts which eventually lengthens out but may or may not reach the recommended 7 or 8 hours of undisturbed sleep.

Many also report that sleeping in a Recliner or using a body pillow to prop up against is more comfortable than trying to sleep in a flat bed for the first several weeks.

'AL Capshaw'

i am dealing with all the same things you are megan. i am on two different beta blockers and find that depending on how long it is between the time i take them my heart feels like it pounding out of my chest. i tried sleeping with my body pilliow last night and although it still took me a while to find a comfortable position once i was able to i was able to sleep in that position for two or three hours without waking up then i would wake up and walk around for a bit and then go back to bed. i think the biggest thing that bothered me sleeping in my own bed for the first time last night was when i did wake up depending on which side i was sleeping on my hand would be numb and tingly but that would go away as soon as i rolled over or walked around for a bit. also it was a little difficult because the hubby tosses and turns alot and last night being the first night sleeping in the same bed since the surgery took some adjustment. especially when he would try to hold me. one time he rolled over and ended up hitting my left shoulder where i had the pacemaker put in. not hard or anything but i think anything little bump at this point will make it hurt. So those were my observations the first night in my bed.

Hi,

There are several threads on this subject. See for instance this one by Seth: http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29590

This might be something else, and there is also a good chance that it will diminish or even get away completely. For most it seems to do, for some of us not.

Isn't it as simply that you experience the pounding more in a silent environment and/or that it gets stronger when you recline, even if you are sitting in some way?

I mostly sleep now on my right side with two large hotel style pillows. It dampens the old fishing boat engine sensation in my chest somewhat.

::g

Last edited:
Hello everyone
Have not been here for awhile. The pounding heart post caught my attention. My aortic valve replacement and aneurysm repair was 4years ago. In the 1 -2 months following surgery, I complained to my cardio about my heart seamingly pounding out of my chest. She could not find a problem. All my follow up echos, CT scans, EKG's since then have shown no real problem. I still have episodes when my heart pounds so hard I can barely hear myself think. The episodes come and go for no apparent reason or correlation to any activity or change in meds. Completely mystifying.

Mine pounds hard too. Hard to fall asleep with all that commotion! Its been 10 months for me and still pounding away.Note to side sleepers, it helped me to lie on my side but kept my top arm back and on my waist...not letting in roll forward...its when you let it roll forward that the 'caved in' chest is not good for healing or breathing.

Latest posts

Back