Post Surgery Shortness of Breath

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thank God you weren't hearing CODE BLUE!

This further proves that some people simply don't know they are in Afib.

This is true. I had slight shortness of breath a few weeks after surgery, but had no clue I was in Afib. Like Bigfish I ended up with a cardioversion and thankfully have not had a repeat. (Am sure amiodarone and metoprolol helped)

Last edited:
Went in to see my cardiologist Monday (4/12). He asked that an EKG be done prior to our consultation. When the technician finished the EKG she left immediately saying she had to see the nurse. Within 2 minutes I was surrounded by 2 nurses and a PA and was informed that they were taking me to the ER because of an elevated heart rate - 150! As I was entering Room 3 of the ER I heard over the PA system "Code Red, Room 3, Code Red, Room 3". I didn't know what Code Red was but I knew it couldn't be a good thing. Shortly an MD and several nurses and a lot of equipment appeared.

I was given adenosine and diltiazem IV and eventually my heart rate came down to 105. My cardiologist came in and said by atrial flutter was now a problem and that he would perform a transophageal echocardiogream and cardioversion (electoral shock to the heart to bring it back to rhythm) the next day. This was sucessfully done and my breathing improved significantly. Still not normal but any improvement was welcome.

Thanks for all of your helpful replies (especially those who urged me to get off my butt and see my cardiologist immediately). I think I dodged a bullet here.

Bigfish35
Wow! I haven't been on the site much; hadn't even seen your member name before and hadn't seen this thread. But as I read your first post on this thread, I was thinking, "That sounds like when I developed post-op A-fib/A-flutter." I was so winded, nearly panting, when it would come on.

Then I read the reply posts and I decided I should keep my opinion to myself, decided, "What do I know?" But I kept reading. And so that's what it turned out to be afterall? For what it's worth, I was temporarily rehospitalized to be put on Sotalol temporarily for my A-fib/A-flutter, and I was also given some magnesium IVs.

Glad you dodged the bullet. Or the big fish hook :D .

I did not have any shortness of breath after surgery, but several other complications that were finally sorted out.
I am sure the Dr's will help you work it out. After reading these posts, it sounds fairly common.

Good luck

You have quite a story. I'm glad you're on the other side of it.

In regard to Ross's comment: I have AFib on and off and I can't always tell when I'm having it. Sometimes I can barely function, other times I seem okay but low on energy. Most of the time I get SOB fairly easily. I think after a while your body adjusts to feeling like used chewing gum, and you become numb to it. I can still do "manly things," like chopping wood and carrying logs, but only in short bursts, and I have to "walk it off" frequently.

I have a BP cuff now that actually registers an icon when I am having rhythm issues. Although I have more than one arrhythmia, it does help to keep me in touch with more of my heart's status. I'm often surprised to find out when I'm not arrhythmic.

Best wishes,

Last edited:
Back