Post-op Irritable Heart, Resting Heart Rate

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You certainly can get a good workout in 30 minutes using high intensity intervals. Instead of pounding the pavement at a steady pace for extended periods of time, it has been shown that shorter, high intensity intervals can achieve better results. By integrating some resistance, you work on your anaerobic function (all things you can google).

My GP is the one who told me about the ventricle. For me, I spike my heart rate into the 140s for up to maybe a minute, then let it drop down...then repeat. When you have the pedal resistance on full and you are pedaling as hard as you can...in a few minutes you can definitely feel it.

Okay just did something this morning. I took my pulse oxygen meter to bed with me. As soon as I woke up I clipped it on my finger laying in bed, my pulse as around 70bpm, then I sat up on the side of the bed for a moment, not suddenly - and my pulse rose to 100, then I eventually stood up and my pulse again rose to 119. Although repeated this experiment and get differing results if I wait long enough at each step for things to settle. Standing of course always at the highest bpm.

When I first came home after surgery this scenario was much worse and that was even on amiodarone and lopressor. My heart used to race and pound. But this sequence of events slowly calmed down little by little as the days passed. Now it actually seems and feels much more toned down even though I do notice. If it weren't for hearing the ticking I might not notice...

Hi

It sounds like improvement is happening :)

Are you doing walking ?

Have you tried the "dee- ep intake of breath ... deeper " then hold for 10 seconds and see if your heart rate slows?

This exersize worked for me. I would find my pulse at 120 just sitting in the car.

Your brain and neural system needs time to reprogram with the new parts :)

Yeah I can do the deep breathing technique and hold or very slowly exhale and it works normally, although it often seems only temporary and then inches back upward again, but maybe not quite as high.

Yeah the reprogramming as you call it is what I've wondered about. Just wondered how long this process should be expected to last; weeks, moths, up to a year? I know the body can heal remarkably well but this is kinda major stuff, so...

Standing up and having a heart rate of 119? Are you having some anxiety?

If you can find a medical doctor who thinks 'out of the box' (and doesn't tow the party line), that would help your cause. Mine sees straight through all the bs...he actually tries to follow the science. I send him an Excel spreadsheet twice a week with my readings.

almost_hectic;n859775 said:
Yeah the reprogramming as you call it is what I've wondered about. Just wondered how long this process should be expected to last; weeks, moths, up to a year? I know the body can heal remarkably well but this is kinda major stuff, so...

Expect significant improvement each week/month for many months to come. If you have any issues, you should be in contact with the appropriate medical personnel. And even then, continue to question everything and do your own research. Most cardiologists have a cookie cutter approach. But your case needs to be looked at differently than the 75 yo woman with heart disease from decades of living a bad lifestyle.

I thought I was the only one! I went for my annual cardiologist appointment last week and had some of the same questions for him -
Pounding heart - is this normal? He said,"Yes, as long as you recover from it quickly and you're not out of breath."
Residual chest pain/bone pain - is this normal? He said, "Yes, you're younger than the average patient, and young patients typically have more active nerve endings than older patients. You will feel the occasional twinge and pang, maybe for the rest of your life."
Crazy fluctuating heart-rates, like if I stand up and walk casually across the room, sometimes my heartrate feels very fast (I haven't measured it), is this normal? He said, "Yes, as long as you recover quickly, and you're not out of breath."

So there is my experience. I'm normal. And My surgery was 19 months ago.

almost_hectic;n859775 said:
Yeah I can do the deep breathing technique and hold or very slowly exhale and it works normally, although it often seems only temporary and then inches back upward again, but maybe not quite as high.

yeah ... that's how it was with me. I just kept it up and gradually over time it settled down

so it takes longer :)

Well then maybe I'm being somewhat impatient. But I guess I don't know how long this process should take... As long as it takes I suppose.

Hi

almost_hectic;n859803 said:
Well then maybe I'm being somewhat impatient. But I guess I don't know how long this process should take... As long as it takes I suppose.

It exactly takes as long as it takes. There are so many factors (previous fitness being but one, rehab effort, diet , your body ...) that its a big range. 3 months ... 12...

I just checked your bio, couldn't see when your surgery was. If it was less than 6 months ago consider that you're still recovering.

have you been doing your walking?

pellicle;n859804 said:
Hi

It exactly takes as long as it takes. There are so many factors (previous fitness being but one, rehab effort, diet , your body ...) that its a big range. 3 months ... 12...

I just checked your bio, couldn't see when your surgery was. If it was less than 6 months ago consider that you're still recovering.

have you been doing your walking?

Yeah it's only just under three months. I've been doing my walking, I think I may be overdoing it. I was walking every day I didn't have cardiac rehab. Normally two times a day for 2 to 3 miles each time. Seem excessive? My heart rate would range from 125-135 most of the time.

almost_hectic;n859805 said:
Yeah it's only just under three months. I've been doing my walking, I think I may be overdoing it. I was walking every day I didn't have cardiac rehab. Normally two times a day for 2 to 3 miles each time. Seem excessive? My heart rate would range from 125-135 most of the time.
*every time* my surgeon reviewed me he always asked "have you been doing your walking ... how many hours per day ..."

I asked about heart rate and he said there was no limit, I would find my own limits. The most significant issue was to not pressurize the system, meaning do not lift heavy things (so squats with 40Kg is a "not yet"). I was 48 YO and my upper limit before surgery was 160 before burn out (so if I was climbing a long hill on my bike and my HR went over 160 I knew that I'd only have a 45 seconds before I'd have to back off) ... so I used that. If you don't know what burn out is your body will let you know .. you'll feel you can't breathe to keep up with the pace.

If you walk around and you need to shuffle up that hill, well shuffle up ... use the web to research what is a good max heart rate for your training (based on your age usually) and shoot for 70% of that

it takes as long as it takes, but it takes less time if you treat rehab as if your life depended on it.

and it does.

:)

pellicle;n859806 said:
*every time* my surgeon reviewed me he always asked "have you been doing your walking ... how many hours per day ..."

I asked about heart rate and he said there was no limit, I would find my own limits. The most significant issue was to not pressurize the system, meaning do not lift heavy things (so squats with 40Kg is a "not yet"). I was 48 YO and my upper limit before surgery was 160 before burn out (so if I was climbing a long hill on my bike and my HR went over 160 I knew that I'd only have a 45 seconds before I'd have to back off) ... so I used that. If you don't know what burn out is your body will let you know .. you'll feel you can't breathe to keep up with the pace.

If you walk around and you need to shuffle up that hill, well shuffle up ... use the web to research what is a good max heart rate for your training (based on your age usually) and shoot for 70% of that

it takes as long as it takes, but it takes less time if you treat rehab as if your life depended on it.

and it does.

Well a few folks in here seemed to suggest rehab might be pushing me too hard possibly? And the fast morning pulse was an indicator of recovering from that

almost_hectic;n859807 said:
Well a few folks in here seemed to suggest rehab might be pushing me too hard possibly? And the fast morning pulse was an indicator of recovering from that
its possible

so far you have not answered any of my questions like:
what was your fitness before
are you doing your daily walking (and how far)
what is your general physical state like

so its impossible knowing nothing about tyou to know if you are being pushed too hard in rehab. We are all different.

I trained (even if it was at first just walking round my block) daily ... it took a few months before I was even remotely (read that again) like what I was before surgery.
It took 2 years of dedicated consistent hard work for me to get back to cross country skiing again.

Don't over train, but don't fail to push ... it seems contradictory but it can only be learned by you, it can't be taught. Its like playing piano.

If you've never trained before (as part of your lifestyle) then this will be a learning curve.

However don't be surprised if slow and gentle (which is the best way to increase your exersize levels) approach takes you at least a year to be back where you were.

Think of how serious an injury you've had ... its only that its all done surgically that you're not actually dead ... its a MASSIVE shock to your body and takes time to recover from it.

Listen to the people doing your rehab, they will know your situation better than anyone in here will (including me).

PS: get a vivofit or fitbit, use it every day to check
set modest attainable targets
attain them then exceed them

get a HR monitor (the Garmin vivofit takes one) and wear that on your walks.

Examine the charts

see the gradual changes over time ...

its like kids, you can't see the daily changes, but when family visit they say "wow, hasn't she grown since last month"

Like the Nike ad says ... Just do it

Prior to surgery I biked 4-5 days a week for about an hour. I was no athlete but was in decent shape and not overweight. I don't know what the intensity of those workouts was because I had no monitor nor did I track my pulse. But in general I looked and felt healthy. As I stated earlier yes I am walking anywhere from 4 to 5 miles four days a week. The other three days I'm in rehab where they get my heart rate from 125-145 for about 45 minutes on varying machines, treadmill, bike, etc. mostly I feel pretty good, aside from random palpitations and this phenomenon of having a faster resting heart rate in the mornings, that settles back down in the afternoon and evening. I've listened to the rehab team, but I'm starting to get the feeling maybe they aren't as skilled as I might hope. They had no clue when I asked them about it, only to say, that's interesting... Unless they're under strict orders to communicate only with the doctors when it pertains to patient health...

Hi

thanks for your information I'd not seen it in this thread before, and I didn't see it on your BIO, I don't conduct searches of older threads to find it.

almost_hectic;n859809 said:
Prior to surgery ... As I stated earlier yes I am walking anywhere from 4 to 5 miles four days a week. ...The other three days I'm in rehab where they get my heart rate from 125-145 for about 45 minutes on varying machines, treadmill, bike, etc. mostly I feel pretty good,...

sounds about "normal" ... in which case I'd say unless there is something really feeling "wrong" then just keep slowly pushing through.

Rehab is slow and difficult (and god knows why people would want to aim to do it twice or three times)

So I'm inclined to think what I said before does fit your situation.

, but I'm starting to get the feeling maybe they aren't as skilled as I might hope. They had no clue when I asked them about it, only to say, that's interesting... Unless they're under strict orders to communicate only with the doctors when it pertains to patient health...

quite possible. Firstly mostly they probably don't all have degrees in exersize physiology nor too much experience with younger valve patients. Mostly it will be people over 60 and may not being in good health either.

My HR (as I've said before) had bouts of being 120 just sitting around. For the first months it didn't get lower than 100 EVER

I had bouts of palpitations, and high HR. I still think its just a matter of give it more time. Keep at it, but if it feels "BAD" (you'll be in no doubt) then tell someone ... even us here.

pellicle;n859811 said:
Hi

thanks for your information I'd not seen it in this thread before, and I didn't see it on your BIO, I don't conduct searches of older threads to find it.

sounds about "normal" ... in which case I'd say unless there is something really feeling "wrong" then just keep slowly pushing through.

Rehab is slow and difficult (and god knows why people would want to aim to do it twice or three times)

So I'm inclined to think what I said before does fit your situation.

quite possible. Firstly mostly they probably don't all have degrees in exersize physiology nor too much experience with younger valve patients. Mostly it will be people over 60 and may not being in good health either.

My HR (as I've said before) had bouts of being 120 just sitting around. For the first months it didn't get lower than 100 EVER

I had bouts of palpitations, and high HR. I still think its just a matter of give it more time. Keep at it, but if it feels "BAD" (you'll be in no doubt) then tell someone ... even us here.

Thanks! I appreciate the insight.

this is some recent HR data from my Garmin

21077026655_36ac5959fe_b.jpg

My HR is now much better than even a year after surgery

Where is your resting blood pressure at, almost_hectic? When I got out of surgery, my BP was soft, my resting heart rate was higher to maintain cardiac output (high 80s). Over time, the BP increased and the heart rate came down.

MethodAir;n859824 said:
Where is your resting blood pressure at, almost_hectic? When I got out of surgery, my BP was soft, my resting heart rate was higher to maintain cardiac output (high 80s). Over time, the BP increased and the heart rate came down.

Oh around 105 over 60 is typical

Latest posts

Back