porcine vs bovine--what tissue valve is a better choice?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sparklette77

porcine v. bovine--any thoughts on which type of tissue valve is a better choice? Or any pros and cons of picking one over the other?

I would like to pick a valve for my plan b in case my mitral valve repair turns into a replacement. I am interested in tissue over mechanical because I want to have kids (hopefully at some point) and while I understand with a mechanical valve I can potentially have kids it is not that easy. Now that I have a decided on a tissue valve for my plan b I am wondering what type of tissue valve I should choose.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

They were discussing something along the lines of this in active lifestyles. Bovine seems to be the stronger of the two, but it really depends on what you and your surgeon want to use.

The Bovine Pericardial Tissue Valves are approaching 20 years longevity (in older recipients...over age 60). MNmom got 10 or 11 years out of hers (and 2 kids).
The latest models have an anticalcification coating that is hoped to extend the lifetime several more years.

Untreated Porcine Tissue valves have lower durability, typically 8 to 12 years in older patients.

The "New and Improved" Porcine Valves have a very low gradient (which is a GOOD thing). They haven't been around long enough to really know how long they will last. Hopefully some knowledgable recipients can advise you on the projections (or ask the surgeons you interview).

The younger the patient, the less the longevity, for both types.

The surgeons I am considering are users of the Edwards Lifesciences Perimount Mitral valve---I read an article dated 9/4/08 this morning that Edwards company got FDA approval for a a Magna version of their mitral valve product and plan to make it immediately available in the US. I saw some other posts some people are very happy with their Magna Aortic Valve replacement. Sounds like they are doing the same for their MV as well now.

I have pasted the article from Medical News Today below:

Designed for the treatment of mitral valve disease, one of the most common forms of heart valve disease in the world, the PERIMOUNT Magna mitral valve is a pericardial tissue-based bioprosthetic device that replaces a patient's diseased mitral valve. Industry estimates indicate that there will be 35,000-40,000 surgical mitral valve replacements in the United States this year.

The PERIMOUNT Magna mitral valve is the first mitral tissue valve to feature an asymmetric shape that mimics the native mitral anatomy. This significant and unique design advancement provides the lowest effective profile and lowest ventricular projection for any tissue mitral valve in the industry.

"This valve provides patients and surgeons with an important option for mitral valve replacement," said A. Marc Gillinov, M.D., staff cardiac surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic Heart and Vascular Institute, and a paid consultant to Edwards Lifesciences. "The features of the valve, including its asymmetric shape, low profile and expansive sewing cuff, are designed to provide ease of implantation in a difficult valve position, low ventricular projection and strong hemodynamic performance."

The PERIMOUNT Magna mitral valve expands Edwards' Magna platform, utilizing the company's proprietary bovine pericardial tissue and incorporating 50 years of clinical experience and design technology.

"The PERIMOUNT Magna mitral valve represents a significant advancement for patients needing mitral valve replacement. It extends the exceptional hemodynamic performance and durability of the Magna valve platform to a design that is unique and specific to the mitral valve," said Donald E. Bobo, Jr., Edwards' corporate vice president, heart valve therapy. "When surgeons see the new PERIMOUNT Magna mitral valve, they immediately appreciate that its design offers an advanced and easily implantable option."

The PERIMOUNT Magna mitral valve was launched in Europe in September 2005. It incorporates features of the Carpentier-Edwards PERIMOUNT mitral valve -- which has demonstrated 16 years of durability -- including the treatment of the bovine pericardial tissue leaflets with the Carpentier-Edwards ThermaFix process. This anti-calcification technology was developed to help mitigate tissue heart valve leaflet calcification, which is one of the primary causes of tissue valve deterioration.

mitral durablility

mitral durablility

Can't really go wrong with either. True, new generation valves like Magna and Mosaic have limited long term data but were built on proven platforms.
From a data perspective both porcine and pericaridial have 20+ years of data, but it isn't great at twenty for mitrals.

I know the porcine data from memory, but will have to look up the pericardial data Monday, they are pretty equal long term though. Here is the porcine.

Borger 20 year Hancock 2 shows that 73 +/- 9% of patients get SVD if they are younger than 65. It does indeed get better when >65 years old as only 41 +/-11% developed SVD at twenty years.

Mosaic has 10 year published mitral data with zero failures (by Echo) but this is a small study with only about 50 patients. (Riess,2007) A 12 year update of this data was presented last summer and it still showed zero failures, but it has not been published.

I will get the 20 year pericaridial data Monday.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but after you have decided in consultation with your surgeon that tissue is the option for you, I don't recall any second-stage agonizing over whether porcine or bovine is "best." In my case, I needed a replacement of both aortic root and aortic valve, and I decided I preferred the stentless, combined root/valve device known as the Medtronics Freestyle. My surgeon thought it was an excellent choice. To my knowledge, that particular bio device comes only in porcine. (I might be wrong.)

Anyway, it is my sense that porcine versus bovine is not a huge consideration. In any event, I am happy with mine. I have a just-in-case echo and cardio visit this Friday to clear me for knee surgery so...knock on wood! :)

My take on this...

Please bear with me, as the beginning parts of this include information geared more to aortic valve work than mitral. But I will clarify it at the end.

The Freestyle (Medtronic preserved porcine) does seem to be a standout niche product, with a big niche in aortic replacements. It's based on the earlier, successful Hancock models, which are still available. It has all the technical extras (anticalcification treatments, nondamaging preservation technique) you'd look for in any up-to-date tissue valve, but also does that aortic root replacement when you need it, whereas other treated tissue valves need to be sewn to a dacron velour or similar sleeve to do any aorta replacement.

(Note: Some mechanical valves, like the St. Jude models, can come already integrated with a fabric tube for root replacements along with the valve. On-X currently doesn't, and has to be mated to a sleeve while you're on the table.)

For a while, it was popular to use the Freestyle in place of a stented model, such as the Perimount Magna (Carpentier-Edwards manufactured bovine pericardium) or the Mosaic (Medtronic preserved porcine), even when the root didn't require replacement. They needed to be individually cut at operation time for the individual and replaced more tissue than the simple valves (the tissue they're in holds their shape, like a wagon wheel, rather than a stent keeping them round). I've not read as much about the technique recently, but I'm sure it's still being used. A number of our members had this done.

The Toronto, marketed by St. Jude in the US, was a stentless porcine valve conceptually somewhat similar in approach to the Freestyle, but has not been sold in the US with any modern anticalcification treatments, and seems to achieve only about a 10-12-year lifespan without them, despite belief that it would go longer.

The CEPM (Magna) has a stent, but it can be placed supraannularly (above the shelf the valve is usually tied to), which allows one size larger valve (and thus one size larger opening - minus the stent width). The Mosaic has a half-thickness stent which maximizes the annulus size within the normal placement area. Their performance is very close.

Those three are the current, main candidates in the US for aortic repalcements. Within a year, St. Jude will likely have an anticalcification-treated porcine valve model available in the US as well. It has had prolonged testing in Europe.

For mitral work, the CEPM and the Mosaic are the current top tissue dogs. Neither will last as long in the mitral position as they will in the aortic. They are anticipated to be nearly equivalvent in life cycle, but there is longer-term data available for the CEPM at this time, so it is the one with the actual track record. Data from the Mosaic will be forthcoming soon, if it's not here already for the mitral position*. However, you wouldn't go wrong with either one.

*Just realized Scooby06 has data for the Mosaic. The 10-year data is already better than anything I've read before.

Best wishes,

as promised here is some long term EW pericardial mitral data

Marchand 14 year data (15 year paper)- <60 59% did not get svd
61-70 76% did not get SVD
66.% all comers did not get SVD at 14 years
Internal comunique' data shows freedom from explant for SVD of the following.
>70 At 15 year 98.9
>65-70 92.4 @ 16 years
>60-65 88.7% 16 years
< 60 56.9% @ 16 years.

Hope this is useful.

BTW this data is not all inclusive, just 1 peer reviewed, and 1 from marketing.

Structural valve dysfunction.
Thought it was covered higher, but thay asked about durability, and that is how physicians measure durability. SVD means failure that is the fault of the valve, like calcification or tear (not endocarditis, thrombus, pannus or other causes.)

It's a rare circumstance where a homograft is superior to the current xenografts anymore. If I remember it correctly, they are also more difficult to remove, becoming heavy and stiff "like lead pipe."

Best wishes,

Back