Pericardial Sac? Who can elaborate...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
almost_hectic - yes, the sac always remains open. I don't believe many surgeons close it. You are right - it cuts complications like pericardial effusion and cardiac tamponade (I had pericardial effusion after surgery (which can be common), but which cleared up on its own - thanks in part to the open sac I am sure). I believe it is also beneficial when it comes to having the heart remodel or reshape itself in the event that there is any LV enlargement due to a leaky AV (which i also had). Mine is open and it always will be - they never heal up on their own, but it's no big deal. After surgery you are typicalyl pretty aware of your heartbeat especially in quiet places and especially if it is mechanical. You get used to it though....

almost_hectic;n858165 said:
Okay so Ive had my follow up appointment at the surgeons office. Unfortunately however, my surgeon had to travel out of town so I was seen by a physicians assistant. I was explained thisprior to the appointment and while I was disappointed, I did not want to be a pain in the ass patient and make a fuss, I thought I was being helpful to my surgeon by accommodating his change in schedule. This was just a checkup to see that I was doing fine anyway.

Anyhow, one of the questions I had at my appointment was how strong my heartbeat felt at times and was that normal or something to be concerned about. Even if my heart rate is not elevated no my blood pressure, there are times when I can now feel my heartbeat throughout my torso as it will move my body with each beat, and other times its very calm. He said its because when operating on the heart they have to cut open the pericardial sac, and then after surgery the sac is left open. Well that was the short explanation, but without medical knowledge of what that meant Ive been trying to dig deeper on my own for a greater understanding. Ive found some info but not a lot. As I understand it the pericardium is the sac surrounding the heart. Its made of connective very strong connective tissue and acts as a cushion of sorts protecting the heart while the body is in active movement. And it also acts to restrict the heart from expaning to greatly at times during pumping. So with that knowledge I can now understand why at times I feel my heartbeat so pronounced.

What I dont completely understand is what to expect going forward. Ive read that some surgeons will close this sac back up to complete the surgery. However the vast majority routinely leave it open, it said to reduce complications after surgery with fluid drainage. Does anyone know will the sac always remain open. I started to read something I found stating that the sac will heal very quickly, but it wasnt clear if that meant it would close and resume its normal function. Im very curious to know if this exagerated sensation of my heartbeat at times is something I will always have or if it will diminish with time as the pericardium heals itself. Can anyone elaborate in this topic?
I had mechanical valve/vein/root replacement almost 10 months ago and my heart is still pounding but not quite as bad as it did in the beginning. I believe it is just something that you will have to live with. You will learn to live it and get used to it eventually.

W. Carter;n858344 said:
I had mechanical valve/vein/root replacement almost 10 months ago and my heart is still pounding but not quite as bad as it did in the beginning. I believe it is just something that you will have to live with. You will learn to live it and get used to it eventually.

Well I guess I'll have to remain patient and see what the future brings. But I'm hoping that over time things settle down. I have noticed that since stopping some of the post-op meds, (amiodarone, metoprolol) that my heartbeat in general is slight more erratic, but not bad. I thinks it's just acclimating to everything new. The pounding sensation is still what makes me feel uneasy. I suppose whatever the future brings I have to face, but I'm told my heart is so healthy, so I'm looking forward to full recovery and hoping it something I can put behind me without a Telltale Heart that drowns out the world around me with its pounding.

Almost. did you question the surgeon on what to expect, that is the greates souce of information instead of looking up unreliable outdated information. I did the same when I was looking forward to Cardiac Cath, wjhich I did not have for many years. All sites said the same thing, a couple nite stay inculding the day of the cathe and then home. Instead it was in one day, in a fews hours and then went home. Never depend on unreliable sources for intformation, go to WebMd, the Heart Association, valvereplacement, etc. to get the most current information. Good luck and hugs for today.

Latest posts

Back