Patient Prosthesis mismatch 1 year on!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracy66

Just coming up 1 year post AVR age 47- but just had pre-op today for my redo:-(
PPM - stenosis now classed as severe - just been in hospital for 5days with pre-syncope. My aortic root in normal range but a fair chance I will need root enlargement to accommodate a larger valve (I have 19mm carbomedics)
My original surgeon at 3 month echo said not to worry about high gradient s- normal with that kind of valve- lucky for me I didn't take his word for it!
Really worried as redo obviously carries higher risk and angry that this has happened to me.

sorry to hear of you needing a redo Tracy

Angry is understandable and worried too.

The chances are good that you'll come through your redo and be well again. I had my 'homograft' replaced when I was 48 (with a ATS mechanical) and that was my third OHS (first was at 10 2nd at 28). While it is more difficult than the initial operation with the better imaging tools we have today they can plan it better and identify where sensitive points (like nerves) are amid the scar tissues.

if there is anything you want to talk through (or just vent) I'm happy to listen.

Life is full of ups and downs, things happen which we don't expect and it often really hurts when you think you have it planned or understood.

Best Wishes

I'm really sorry to hear that you're back in line so soon. Can't offer much as to why these things happen, but they do. I guess the one thing you can be comfortable about now is that this time you have a better picture of what to expect.

Odds are well in your favor, so you can concentrate on what you want/need to do after. Hang in there - we're here for you.

So sorry to hear you have to go through this so soon, tracy 66. It is understandable that you are upset. This is not the news any of us want.
As the others have said, you can do this.
We will all be here waiting for the positive news in post-op.

Thinking of you,

Your anger is certainly understandable. I just wanted to let you know I actually found the second time around easier, and it was partly from knowing what to expect. My surgeon said the second surgery is not harder for the patient--it's harder for the surgeon. Wishing you a successful surgery and smooth road to recovery!

Latest posts

Back