Pacemaker for Johnny

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Stephens

OK, so I know I've been pretty quiet lately, but rest assured I check in everyday. Here's an update on what I've been cooking up:

I've been struggling with syncope (fainting/blackouts) since January. I've blacked out 3 times, and one time seriously messed up my back when I fell. I haven't been able to drive, and am spring-loaded to freak out on every little quiver I feel.

My doctors are arguing about whether I'm diabetic. My cardio says yes, since I have heart probs, he wants my glucose numbers lower; my internist thinks I'm OK, but begrudgingly does the tests and referrals.

I was just diagnosed with SEVERE sleep apnea after a night of fun in the sleep lab. They were checking out the apnea because it can aggravate pulmonary hypertension (which they've never conclusively said was gone since my surgery). They're giving me a CPAP machine for this- but I have to go back to the lab for another round of fun to get it adjusted. They have promised to knock me out.

I had an attack of gout so serious I was on crutches and wore a removable cast. Niacin for cholesterol and one of my diuretics raised my uric acid through the roof.

But wait - there's more - my new cardio is a thourough guy, and refers me to an Electrophysiologist for consult on my fainting. I walked out today with an appointment for a catheterization and probable Guidant pacemaker implantation. Now, I'm a gadget guy, but having two synthetic flapper thingies and a bunch of electronics in my chest was not in my plans.

So, as you can see, there hasn't been much to share, and things are pretty boring around my house.

Yep, just some new adventures in the life of a heart valve patient. :D
OTOH, fainting is nothing to fool around with.
Do whatever needs to be done on that score.

SO, what's with the NEW cardiologist?
There's got to be more to that story ;)

Well, what's it going to be for the Cath?
Lovenox or Heparin Drip?
"Inquiring minds want to know"

(Every time I think about having an invasive procedure,
I just bury my head in the sand and put it off...That plan won't work much longer :( )

Do you have a home test glucometer?
If not, get an RX from your internist.
(Mine GAVE me one).
I assume you are getting familiar with
the A1C - bloodsugar conversion chart...

"Stiff upper lip, old chap"

'AL Capshaw'

Johnny,
Do you think the episode where you fell on the slick sidewalk is attributable to the syncope?
You've sure got alot of things going on. I've suffered two flare ups of gout--Whoa! It hurt!
Good luck getting everything straightened out and back in order.

Johnny,
Well, heck...I wondered why I haven't seen you around much. Hoping everything gets back on track as soon as possible. The best to you.

Johnny,

Hope you're better handling that home blood glucose meter than I am. I am "prediabetic" and have been advised as of today to take my readings twice a day. Finally got a reading after mangling nearly every finger tonight....196, sounds high to me, but damned if I know if I took it correctly. (And a little sampling of my son's birthday cake may have bonked the results.)

Sure sounds like you do have a lot going on. I would think a diabetic condition could cause the fainting, but I suppose so could a lot of other things.

Hope you and your docs get to the bottom of it quickly and you feel better, with a little less of this kind of "adventure."

Bob

Boy Johnny! None of that sounds like much fun at all! I hope it gets straightened out pretty soon. Syncope is absolutely scary. If a pacemaker solves the problem then get it done quickly. Will this be your first cath post op? And by the way, how is your back doing now?

I was a gestational diabetic and was warned that it may show itself again as I get older but so far so good. Hopefully you won't have to manage diabetes as well as heart disease but if so, it is one other field where many advancements have been made in the last several years.

Thanks all -
Yep - the cath - pacemaker is already planned for Thursday, so it's moving quickly. I take my last Coumadin dose tomorow. I start the Lovenox bridge 2 days before-2 shots a day 12 hours apart.

No juicy story about the new cardio. My old one was a 'traveler' - contracted out from another system to the clinic out here in the youngish suburbs. There wasn't enough cardio business to support him, so they don't offer it at my clinic anymore. I could still see him if I wanted, but his home office is just as far away as the big hospital, so I went shopping. New guy is one "Seattle's 10 best Doctors" according to local press.

I'm only just now starting down the Diabetes path, so I don't know if I'll wind up doing daily testing or whatever- my wife has her own machine so I know the drill there.

Mary - yes, the fall was definitely syncope-related. It happened outside a busy restaurant and was witnessed by my wife and a dozen or so strangers. 911-rescue-sirens-lights-paramedics - I was awake again before they got there.

Yes, Betty - this is my first cath post-op. My back is probably back to 90%.

Johnny, sounds like you are quite the over-achiever! Sorry to hear you are having these issues. Let's hope this will get you fixed up for quite a while.

Johnny,

Sounds like you are going to be wearing a "transistor radio" on your shoulder like me :D . Mine is an AICD pacer and defib (although the pacer part has been turned off). I got the AICD after my cath due to the fact that my Cardio felt I was "a walking time bomb" and the AICD "MIGHT" buy me some time :eek: . Have not had any incidents of "therapy" as they like to refer to being ZAPPED and hope I stay that way :D . There are several Pacemaker/Defib forum sites you may want to check out. The "families" there also provide support, guidance and information to the newbies. I got a lot of information about my pending AICD that I was able to clarify with the Cardio.

As for the "Diabetes path" I am considered a "borderline diabetic", whatever that means (you either IS or ISN'T) :eek: . My briefing (military background) told me my sugar range should be between 65 to 106 in the morning when I first get up. Anything outside that range would require follow-up. Mine have stayed between 75 to 104 so far with my tester. Since I've been on Rehab they have taken it in the morning (before and after). I've been as low as 90 and as high as 126. The people there do not consider it a bad range. The nurse told me that until I hit 200 not to get too worried, especially if a rise could be attributed to eating that big piece of cake the night before. Just watch what I eat. As your wife is already "in the program" she can guide you in the testing. My sister-in-law helped me when I first started. Of course, diabetes comes with its own set of side effects, some which cross over with the heart.

Good luck in this new challenge. We will send prayers and good thoughts that things go well.

May God Bless,

Danny

Hi Johnny...

Hi Johnny...

Johnny Stephens said:
OK, so I know I've been pretty quiet lately, but rest assured I check in everyday. Here's an update on what I've been cooking up:

I've been struggling with syncope (fainting/blackouts) since January. I've blacked out 3 times, and one time seriously messed up my back when I fell. I haven't been able to drive, and am spring-loaded to freak out on every little quiver I feel.

My doctors are arguing about whether I'm diabetic. My cardio says yes, since I have heart probs, he wants my glucose numbers lower; my internist thinks I'm OK, but begrudgingly does the tests and referrals.

I was just diagnosed with SEVERE sleep apnea after a night of fun in the sleep lab. They were checking out the apnea because it can aggravate pulmonary hypertension (which they've never conclusively said was gone since my surgery). They're giving me a CPAP machine for this- but I have to go back to the lab for another round of fun to get it adjusted. They have promised to knock me out.

I had an attack of gout so serious I was on crutches and wore a removable cast. Niacin for cholesterol and one of my diuretics raised my uric acid through the roof.

But wait - there's more - my new cardio is a thourough guy, and refers me to an Electrophysiologist for consult on my fainting. I walked out today with an appointment for a catheterization and probable Guidant pacemaker implantation. Now, I'm a gadget guy, but having two synthetic flapper thingies and a bunch of electronics in my chest was not in my plans.

So, as you can see, there hasn't been much to share, and things are pretty boring around my house.

What you have going on is pretty much what I have going on, although I don't have a pacemaker yet, and I haven't had very many black out spells, I certainly have the Diabetes, and I also have Severe Sleep Apnea, and Pulmonary Hypertension IS a side effect of Sleep Apnea (I just found out about a year ago that I have it). I would like to suggest that you ask your doc about getting checked out by a urologist as I also have Gout, which is caused by an excessive amount of Uric Acid, thus leading to Kidney Stones. I say this because I have been through the Kidney Stone business (just last year) and the pain from it is absolutely unbearable...I am not kidding on this one, now I wouldn't want you to go through what I have gone through with the kidney pain, so I urge you to please, please get checked out by a urologist as Uric Acid is what my stones (and my Staghorn Calculus)(One Big Stone that blocks the kidney) were made of. It's better to be safe than sorry. All and all, you and I are matched pretty well as far as illnesses go... Gee, do you think it's because my mom is from Seattle? LOL Anyway, your in my thoughts and prayers, and please if you need any help with the cpap, feel free to PM me. Take Care, and let me know how you make out, as I am very concerned. Harrybaby
:D :D :D :D :D :eek: :eek: :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks Harry, yes my regular doctor is all over the Uric acid. I've dropped the Triamterene Hypochlorothiazide and the Niacin, both of which contribute to the climbing levels. This leaves me without one of my 2 diurectics, but I was only taking it for some Potassium problems last year anyway. I may not even need it anymore. I have no desire to add Kidney stones to my already long list of concerns, LOL.

Thanks for the input - I'll let you know when I get the CPAP. Should be on June 10 or earlier if there's a lab cancellation.

Dude what should I say? I'm falling apart pretty quickly, but I think you may well have won this prize already. I guess we start a new contest? Maybe one I can win this time?

Johnny-

I'm sorry to hear about the syncope episodes. Joe has a pacemaker and it helped him tremendously. He doesn't use it much. The readouts show few times when it kicked in, but when he needed it, it worked. He used to have fainting spells and he did injure himself, and he wasn't able to drive during that period of time. This was several years ago, and just a bad memory now.

I hope your doctors are checking out the PH situation. Even though it seems to be gone, all of the symptoms you are experiencing can also be symptoms of PH-- syncope, CHF, and sleep apnea.

By the way, our grandson told Joe he was half man and half machine :D

Wow, Johnny! Enough stuff there to keep you busy waiting in doctors' offices for years. Seems like you could use some time off for good behavior.

It looks like you've got a good crew working on you. They're concerened with problems that their own treatments might be causing, and even when they disagree, they seem to be cooperating with each other. While they're annoying to deal with and it seems like you chew up your life in their waiting rooms, these are the type of docs to have, if you've got to have them.

I hope your apnea gets taken care of, and that along with the pacemaker for dizzines/fainting, it relieves some of your other symptoms. I agree that you're pretty borderline (or under) for the diabetes, so maybe having the other issues resolved will relieve that one doctor's pressure on that. The internist should be more in line with determining that properly than the cardio anyway.

I hope you get out of this medical rut soon, and get your time back.

Very best wishes,

Hi Johnny, sorry to hear that you have so much going on! Wow, that is a lot to deal with all at once. Do you know what your blood sugar levels were? Having a home monitor as has been mentioned is a really good idea.

Just some thoughts about the sleep apnea and the CPAP. Make sure you get some support and help in dealing with getting the right mask and getting it fitted correctly. It can make all the difference in wether or not you are able to use the CPAP machine on a regular basis. If there is a sleep doc you can add to your team, try to do that, if not, a good resp. therapist can help. I would suggest you check out CPAP.com for their forum...gives a lot of interesting advice and ideas. Hopefully you will be one of the folks who just immediately take to CPAP without a problem. Apnea can certainly impact on all of your other medical issues, however!

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Hi Johnny

Hi Johnny

You know that I remember you..I had VR.surgery 3 weeks before you... :) and we joined VR.com around the same time....You are myVR.com buddy...Boy did we post a lot :D :D ..Still have to laugh about the toothpick thing..in your lunch.. Remember that?...I'm sorry to hear of your problems... :eek: Hope and pray that yor problems will be solved.. :) I still think that you are one of the most handsome men on VR.Com.. :) Love when you post just to get to see you.. :D Bonnie

Dear Johnny - I am sorry to hear all of this. The syncope I know about. My brother has it and has passed out all over the county. They talked of a pacemaker for him, too, but never did it. I wish you well in all of this. you will keep us posted - when you have the time and feel like it? Best of luch and good wishes......

Wow, Johnny!!!

Seems like you've been having lots of fun tormenting drs!!! I'm sorry you have to have the pacemaker, but VERY glad it will probably clear up the syncopal episode problem. Not glad about the diagnosis of diabetes, but know you will handle it with no problem.

We've been having a good time here, too. Tyce ended up in the hospital on Tuesday night with an infected toe.....which led to foot.....which led to cellulitis.....etc. After IV Augmentin which did nothing for him, they put him on IVCeflex and he got home Friday. Luckily the cardio said no problem with the valve as it was a localized infection.

INR has been fine, but the regular drs. have NO clue how to adjust coumadin. Thursday night he was 3.5....his NORMAL range.....they wanted to give him.1 instead of his 2.5 normal dose....Tyce threw a fit, said to call the cardio who said....'GIVE THE MAN WHAT HE NORMALLY TAKES!" tHANK GOODNESS FOR OUR CARDIO!!!

Be well!!!

Evelyn

Pacemaker installed - Borg assimilation nearly complete

Pacemaker installed - Borg assimilation nearly complete

I checked into the hospital Thursday afternoon and walked out Friday morning all wired-up with a Guidant Insignia Ultra pacemaker.

It wasn't 100% established that I'd need one, so they had to perform an EPS, or "Electrophysiology Study" first. During this test, they probe around with the catheter and stimulate the various natural pacing centers in your heart. The concern was that in addition to my left bundle block, which slows the distribution of the pacing signal, I had now developed a similar block on the right side. They were able to confirm this in a big way, and my heart stopped for several seconds. I nearly passed out, but was able to hear the "excitement" in the room while they paced me externally. The dizziness passed quickly, and they had their diagnosis.

I rolled out of the Procedure room after 2-1/2 hours with a sore spot near my left collarbone, where they inserted the pacemaker. They sealed it up with the Durabond skin adhesive - no stitches.

The best part: I was immediately cleared to resume driving, so I drove home from the hospital! Now, it's on to get my sleep apnea treatments started.

Latest posts

Back