One Week Until The Big Cut!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lawdog, I just had surgery a few months ago at age 41(am 42 now) for aortic aneurysm with two kids age 6 and 8. My 6 year old was fine, just missed me the same way as if I were to be on business trip for a week (I am also a lawyer...assume you are from your moniker? I live in CT, surgery at Yale). My 8 year old is a very serious, introspective girl who understands everything and holds it all inside. She didn't say a word, and never cried before the surgery, but she became overly attentive when I came home (tried to visit in the hospital but she freaked out....my youngest was fine). With every sneeze or slight sound of discomfort by me after I was home,she came running to help and asked if I was ok. She now knows I am fine, but she is still concerned about me. It's just her nature. I tell her I am bionic so no need to worry! (I have a st Jude mechanical valve, with conduit to replace aorta as well). I joke that I have another 100 years at least! She tells me I might only make it to 100 total, so roughly 60 more years 😄. My sister had the same surgery, so I also try to reassure her that if she ever needs surgery (one of her fears) they will practically operate through her belly button at that point! My 6 year old was pretty much unfazed.

Ps good luck with surgery! The first few weeks are rough, but then you recover so swiftly. I am not even 4 months post op and back running at my old speed, no restriction. I can't even believe I had surgery. You will do great!

Lawdog, I am another one with mechanical valve, St. Judes' for 14 years in September. Not a bad way to live and most do not have sport restrictions. Good luck and post when you are feeling better after surgery. Hugs for today.

Best of luck Lawdog. I am now 29 months post op. I am doing just fine. I only occasionally hear my On-X valve.

I have been home testing my INR for just over a year now. (Coaguchek XS). My original target range was 2.0 to 2.5.
My new range is now 1.8-2.2 lowered because of this past April's ON-X approval for 1.5.

I test every two weeks.

The link in my signature shows my surgeon doing the procedure I had. However, this patient got a tissue valve.

DachsieMom;n857365 said:
Lawdog, I just had surgery a few months ago at age 41(am 42 now) for aortic aneurysm with two kids age 6 and 8. My 6 year old was fine, just missed me the same way as if I were to be on business trip for a week (I am also a lawyer...assume you are from your moniker? I live in CT, surgery at Yale). My 8 year old is a very serious, introspective girl who understands everything and holds it all inside. She didn't say a word, and never cried before the surgery, but she became overly attentive when I came home (tried to visit in the hospital but she freaked out....my youngest was fine). With every sneeze or slight sound of discomfort by me after I was home,she came running to help and asked if I was ok. She now knows I am fine, but she is still concerned about me. It's just her nature. I tell her I am bionic so no need to worry! (I have a st Jude mechanical valve, with conduit to replace aorta as well). I joke that I have another 100 years at least! She tells me I might only make it to 100 total, so roughly 60 more years 😄. My sister had the same surgery, so I also try to reassure her that if she ever needs surgery (one of her fears) they will practically operate through her belly button at that point! My 6 year old was pretty much unfazed.

I got the same treatment from my 8 yr old son for months post surgery. Every sneeze or cough he'd run out with the old " are you ok?". It's sweet but I finally told him I'm ok and to stop worrying about me so much.

Hey Lawdog, Tank again. As you are going to be 1 day post-op I will be going into the stainless steel chamber to get fixed up once more. You mentioned your kids and that they are young. Take advantage of the help they offer and the concern they show, as they get older and mature the dad isn't always their first concern. In my case it's the "cats in the cradle" thing. I spent so much time in the hospital and never really recovered from the back surgeries that I have had. Worked long hard days, missed a lot of ball games, golf tournaments and karate tournaments. My kids are now grown but still at home, which I love, but nothing can replace that little voice that says "are you ok". Let them help if they can, make them feel good as they make you feel good and appreciate all they do as they grow up fast. Good luck tomorrow and you'll be In prayers. God bless. Thanx, Tank

Tank;n857403 said:
Hey Lawdog, Tank again. As you are going to be 1 day post-op I will be going into the stainless steel chamber to get fixed up once more. You mentioned your kids and that they are young. Take advantage of the help they offer and the concern they show, as they get older and mature the dad isn't always their first concern. In my case it's the "cats in the cradle" thing. I spent so much time in the hospital and never really recovered from the back surgeries that I have had. Worked long hard days, missed a lot of ball games, golf tournaments and karate tournaments. My kids are now grown but still at home, which I love, but nothing can replace that little voice that says "are you ok". Let them help if they can, make them feel good as they make you feel good and appreciate all they do as they grow up fast. Good luck tomorrow and you'll be In prayers. God bless. Thanx, Tank
I know your message wasn't for me but I appreciate it. I think a lot of dads can relate to that song. I lost my dad last year and I can't believe my son is going to be 9 in a couple months- it's a cliche but it does fly by. I just watched him play some basketball in an outdoor summer league -can't beat it.

Latest posts

Back