One more test before AVR - haven't been on in awhile wanted to share what's next

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hello:

I recently shared that I was once again diagnosed with severe stenosis on May 28, 2013 after having an AVR on May 6, 2011 only 2 year old Edward Tissue Valve. My cardiologist told me we need to replace the tissue valuve with a mechanical valve. Since that day I had a Esophogeal Echocardiogram. He told me that the valve has a gradient across it and not enough blood can go through. Rush surgery is not necessary. So I made arrangements with my employer to be out in September.....I received a phone call from Cardiologist last week. He took my case to the Head of Cardlology at Morris Medical Center, Morristown, NJ. Out of 6 Drs one did not agree that I need an AVR all the rest agreed this tissue valve needs to be replaced. OH THE ROLLERCOASTER!

I am scheduled for another Echocardiogram on Aug 9 with the Head of Cardiology herself. She wants to see what is causing my symptoms and determine AVR. I know I need to have this AVR but my Cardiologist wants expert opinion. Guess I'm in good hands!

My symptoms are worse than prior to first AVR. I can't take stairs without heaving breathing on the top step. I get dizzy and light headed. And extremely tired. I recently lost 17 lbs which has helped my energy tremendously. Since I can't exercise I joined Ideal Protein to help get the weight off.

Bottom line my AVR will be confirmed on August 9th - I accept all this. I look forward to DAY ONE of REHAB so I can be athletic again and not be tired.

Heartfelft thanks for this forum!

Genine

Oh that is encouraging. I just turned 53 in July. I'm told that I can do blood testing at home and they are coming out with a new drug that won't require lab work. How is the clicking?? What is it really like?

thank you!
Genine

Only occasionally do I hear it. Usually late at night in bed. It is very subtle, not unpleasant. Have you picked a valve yet? Coumadin has not been an issue. I was driving after 4 weeks. Back to work in 10 weeks.

Oh that is encouraging. I just turned 53 in July. I'm told that I can do blood testing at home and they are coming out with a new drug that won't require lab work. How is the clicking?? What is it really like?

thank you!
Genine

Genine, sorry that the cardiologists aren't all on board yet with a replacement. Hopefully after the Aug. procedure they will be. I'm curious about the new drug that won't require lab work. Can you share the name?
Best wishes,
Mary

Hey there

sorry to hear that you are up for a redo so soon. I am sure that is as upsetting as I expect that it is. While it may seem anooying that various doctors dont agree it is at least encouraging that at least one is taking it so seriously.

Seriously, if you can avoid surgery thats the better route.

Further to your point on home testing and anticoagulation, there are indeed a bunch of bits of gear that you can use to self monitor and adjust your warfarin dose. They are convenient and reasonably priced.

From what I understand the alternative anticoagulants have as many issues (albeit different) to warfarin. Presently I am quite comfortable with warfarin and do not have any issues with it that would require lifestyle changes.

So that at least can be one weight off your shoulders.

Best wishes for the diagnosis, and feel free to yak here on the topic :)

Genine, I am so sorry you have to have repeat surgery. I chose an on-x valve prior to my AVR on May 23, 2013. I do feel it early in the morning beating but have only heard it clicking one time. I figure if I hear it clicking I am alive. I am 9 weeks out from OHS and they are still trying to adjust my Coumadin (which has really not been too bad to deal with). If I had to do it all over again...I would choose mechanical so as not to have repeat surgery any time soon. Good luck with your choice. Do your research and we will be here for you. - Kim

Back