On-X looks to be for me

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kevin21

The surgeon thinks On-X is the choice for me.

I guess quite a few here have them.

This appears to be a great product. Any comments from the peanut gallery on this sucker?

On-X installed 3 weeks ago

On-X installed 3 weeks ago

Im 3 weeks post-op and have an On-X installed in the aortic position. So far so good ! I had my procedure at the Cleveland Clinic and my surgeon, Gosta Pettersson is absolutely top shelf. He has installed about 50 of these at this point and he told me that if he needed a mechanical valve that this was the one he would want. That certainly carried some weight in my decision. You will still need the coumadin but this valve is currently in a study that may allow folks with this valve to eliminate coumadin in the future and only require a baby asprin daily. Results on that study however won't be ready until 2015 I think. That didn't really sway me one way or the other, it was simply the fact that this valve appears to be the most stable of the current generation. I saw various docs on the web that raved about it. Dr Pettersson told me that this valve is a little more technically difficult to put in due to the fact that the valve has a higher side profile. Not really sure what he meant but the fact that he had installed 50 of em I figured he has enough experience. You will probably hear from others on this as well, I actually spoke to a guy today who has the On-X as well, he was Dr Ps first On-X patient, quite gutsy on his side to be a surgeons first with a new product. That was 2 years ago and it sounds like he is going about 1000mph.

Good luck in your journey, keep us posted on your progress.

Quite a few on here have it- just put a search in for "On-X and you will come up with all the posts. Have you set a date yet?

It's most likely what I would go with if I had to have my St. Jude replaced now.

I've been toting one around for 6 months now and it's still flapping away. :)
I only hear it in bed, mostly when I'm laying on my right side.

Good luck

Yep, its a good un....probably one of the quieter ones from comments ive read.

I took a st jude because of the pre-attached dacron graft, had on-x had that feature (or if i hadn't had the anuersym) i'd have gone for on-x.

Best of luck.

Chloe's had her On-X for almost 7 years now and still going strong. If she ever had to have it replaced again (and please God she doesnt!) then we would go On-X again

xxx

I had the On-x valve replaced 3 weeks ago and felt so good yesterday I mowed my yard!! ( SHHH--dont tell my wife).
I have a little clicking sound I hear at night but Its no biggy!
All the mech valves seem to be very good, it just seems todays technology suggests that the ON-X seems to be a top choice if available.
Take Care and Good Luck! Zack

Me and my On-X

Me and my On-X

Kevin

I had an On-X implanted on May 15, 2007. By August I was back in good enough shape to have ridden in a two day charity bike ride here in Massachusetts. Sadly, a cousin of mine succumbed to cancer shortly before the ride weekend, so I was unable to take part in the event. But I will be riding this year, with my On-X quietly ticking away.

And I eagerly await the results of the FDA clinical trials being conducted now with the On-X.

Go for it!

Fast Eddie

Good Morning, All =)

Ready for the new week!

Well over the weekend Ray (hubby) decided (I made him) to check out this website and he read over a few of the posts. And he likes the sound of the On-X more than the Carbomedic. We go see our surgeon on Tuesday and if he says he won't do the On-X we will be off and looking for another surgeon....again.

He has such a great attitude about this surgery. I am so proud of him. I told him flat out he has to help me look this stuff up because I feel like he is relying on me to make the best decision for him and I just can't do that. So he really started looking into the On-X and the FDA clinical trials.

Like Karlynn stated in another post regardless of the clinical trials on low and no ACT the other factors in themselves make this an attractive valve to choose. Although we are very intersted in the outcome of that study.

Does anyone have any idea how long that study has been going on or a good website that explains in a better "real person speak" than all the medical terminology?

I am hoping that Dr. Trachiotis will do the On-X and we don't have to search for someone new. We are looking to set the surgery date next month. He (and me too) just want to get on to the next chapter of our lives and get this surgery and the recovery out of the way.

I hope you are all having a fantastic Monday and had a good holiday weekend.

Angela

URL for the PROACT trial

URL for the PROACT trial

Here is a link to the clinical trial document. Completion date is set at 2015.

On-X in Aortic position

On-X in Aortic position

AngelaR....If your surgeon doesn't want to proceed with an On-X and you do start looking again you may want to contact Gosta Pettersson at the Cleveland Clinic. He has completed 50+ of the On-X valves, did mine just over 3 weeks ago. I think this valve has been out there for 6 to 8 years and Dr P. is one of the most experienced in the procedure. From what I read its slightly more difficult to install due to the profile of the valve but it is supposed to be the best on the market currently. I know Cleveland is a bit of a way for you but I can tell you that once I contacted Dr. P and pleaded my case (letter describing who I am and my diagnosis) along with a copy of my most recent echo they had me lined up pretty quick for surgery. Actually about 10 days after he accepted me as his patient. That would be the one question I would ask any surgeon about the On-X. How many of these have you done ? Im not much for being a trail blazer, I want experience. The other thing about Dr P is that he did a minimally invasive procedure on me (incision is 4 to 5 inches), versus the standard 8. All I had done was Aortic Valve replacement, everything else was good to go which Im sure drove the type of procedure he leveraged.

Good luck ! Hopefully your guy comes through for you and its all a non-issue !

Scott

ctyguy said:
AngelaR....If your surgeon doesn't want to proceed with an On-X and you do start looking again you may want to contact Gosta Pettersson at the Cleveland Clinic. He has completed 50+ of the On-X valves, did mine just over 3 weeks ago. I think this valve has been out there for 6 to 8 years and Dr P. is one of the most experienced in the procedure. From what I read its slightly more difficult to install due to the profile of the valve but it is supposed to be the best on the market currently. I know Cleveland is a bit of a way for you but I can tell you that once I contacted Dr. P and pleaded my case (letter describing who I am and my diagnosis) along with a copy of my most recent echo they had me lined up pretty quick for surgery. Actually about 10 days after he accepted me as his patient. That would be the one question I would ask any surgeon about the On-X. How many of these have you done ? Im not much for being a trail blazer, I want experience. The other thing about Dr P is that he did a minimally invasive procedure on me (incision is 4 to 5 inches), versus the standard 8. All I had done was Aortic Valve replacement, everything else was good to go which Im sure drove the type of procedure he leveraged.

Good luck ! Hopefully your guy comes through for you and its all a non-issue !

Scott

Thanks, Scott. Good to hear you are doing so well Post Op. Yes, I will look at the Cleavland Clinic if he says no.

AngelaR said:
Good Morning, All =)

Ready for the new week!

Well over the weekend Ray (hubby) decided (I made him) to check out this website and he read over a few of the posts. And he likes the sound of the On-X more than the Carbomedic. We go see our surgeon on Tuesday and if he says he won't do the On-X we will be off and looking for another surgeon....again.

He has such a great attitude about this surgery. I am so proud of him. I told him flat out he has to help me look this stuff up because I feel like he is relying on me to make the best decision for him and I just can't do that. So he really started looking into the On-X and the FDA clinical trials.

Like Karlynn stated in another post regardless of the clinical trials on low and no ACT the other factors in themselves make this an attractive valve to choose. Although we are very intersted in the outcome of that study.

Does anyone have any idea how long that study has been going on or a good website that explains in a better "real person speak" than all the medical terminology?

I am hoping that Dr. Trachiotis will do the On-X and we don't have to search for someone new. We are looking to set the surgery date next month. He (and me too) just want to get on to the next chapter of our lives and get this surgery and the recovery out of the way.

I hope you are all having a fantastic Monday and had a good holiday weekend.

Angela

The Education and Promotion Manager for On-x is Catheran Burnett, RN.
She is a former Surgical Nurse (Baylor under Dr. Debakey) who has worked for Carbomedics, St. Jude, and now On-X over the past 20+ years. She "knows her stuff" about heart valves and is most helpful in answering questions. She can also give you the names of Surgeons who have used On-X valves anywhere in the country (or world), along with their contact information.

Catheran can be reached at 888-339-8000 ext. 265 or e-mail [email protected] (old adr) or [email protected] (new adr)

'AL Capshaw'

Back