On coumadin with flu

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbheart

Just last Saturday, I got my seasonal flu shot. It was suppose to be effective within 2 weeks but I came down with the flu yesterday. So it hasn't been effective. I was having great luck getting my yearly flu shot and avoiding the flu for the past 7 years. But apparently, I wan't fast enough this year. Any words of wisdom for heart patients on coumadin with St. Jude valves who have the flu?:(

First of all, be careful what you take for the flu - maybe call your phamacist and get a list of recommended and/or a list of no-no things to take. Make sure he/she is aware of ALL drugs (including vitamins, supplements etc.)

Second, your INR may go up/go down, depending on what you eat (up with less food); it may also go up if you stay home and rest, or at least if you are a bit less active than normal.

If you are taking a food supplement (like Ensure) be careful and choose one without a lot of Vitamin K

Other than that, I can't think of anything else, someone else might, except rest, eat, drink fluids and get better soon!

When did you get your flu shot? I wonder why it did not work for you, have you been around anyone with it? You have reg flu or swine flu?? Get plenty of rest and fluids!

Just last Saturday, I got my seasonal flu shot. It was suppose to be effective within 2 weeks but I came down with the flu yesterday. So it hasn't been effective. I was having great luck getting my yearly flu shot and avoiding the flu for the past 7 years. But apparently, I wan't fast enough this year. Any words of wisdom for heart patients on coumadin with St. Jude valves who have the flu?:(

Thanks for the advice! A friend who is a nurse thinks it is the swine flu because the seasonal flu hasn't hit NE Ohio yet (and I did just get a shot for the seasonal flu--although they said it would be two weeks until it would protect me). Guess I'll get a little vacation from work this week. :)

Flu?

Flu?

I got hit with H1N1 a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't any worse than other bouts with the flu I've had since AVR surgery. The virus pretty much ran it's course over 72 hours. We saw the same pattern with the majority of students in my high school who contracted H1N1. Some of the kids took a little longer than 72 hours to get back to school.

The fact that I'm on coumadin had no bearing on dealing with the flu at all. I took my counadin and did my weekly blood test just like I always do.

-Philip

Latest posts

Back