"no surgery" valve replacement in 10 yrs

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hensylee

yesterday I saw on CNN that two elderly men in Germany (I think) had valve replacement without scalpel. The new valve (dacron, I believe) was inserted through the leg and into the old damaged valve and seated there. The reason it was done for these two men is that they were very old and the surgery would be too dangerous for them to undergo. The two men were interviewed. The dr said one of them woke up and was ready to go home. This is supposed to be in the U.S. in about 10 yrs.

Wow

Wow

Pretty amazing stuff. Perhaps in 15 years or so they may move this down in age and to the rest of us.

Ann

Ann

They have been in trials now for awhile on this new valve and it's to be FDA approved in about 2 years. I talked to my surgeon about this and he said with confindance that he plans on doing them within 5 years. He said my next replacement would be this way. Debbie :)

Notes of caution needed here.

Only suitable for small diameter valves as the bigger ones can't be catheterised.
Kept in place by friction pressure; in trials some have gone walkabout needing emergency OHS to rectify.
For a re-do they would not come out as they went in, so OHS needed.

I talked to the Dr who is pioneering these at Leeds. They would be wholly unsuitable for me as a re-do. Inactive little old ladies with first time small valves to replace seem to be the target recipients.

Early days, things may change in the future, but don't get excited now.

"I talked to the Dr who is pioneering these at Leeds. They would be wholly unsuitable for me as a re-do. Inactive little old ladies with first time small valves to replace seem to be the target recipients"

I actually spoke to Dr. Zahn who is located in Miami who did this surgery on a 9year old boy. I contacted him before my surgery to see if it was something I might be able to do instead of having OHS. He told me that he was only able to do it on this child because he already had an artifical valve in place. Here is the link to that story:

http://www.nbc6.net/dianagonzalez/15077805/detail.html

There was actually a better link that provided more detail, but I think it has expired.

Kim

kfay said:
"I talked to the Dr who is pioneering these at Leeds. They would be wholly unsuitable for me as a re-do. Inactive little old ladies with first time small valves to replace seem to be the target recipients"

I actually spoke to Dr. Zahn who is located in Miami who did this surgery on a 9year old boy. I contacted him before my surgery to see if it was something I might be able to do instead of having OHS. He told me that he was only able to do it on this child because he already had an artifical valve in place. Here is the link to that story:

http://www.nbc6.net/dianagonzalez/15077805/detail.html

There was actually a better link that provided more detail, but I think it has expired.

Kim

Thanks for that Kim, interesting. Maybe Dr Zahn is more gung ho than the Leeds Doc? Implanting in a child is in line with small valve sizes only. I wish the little lad well but wonder what happens as his heart grows? Not a totally convincing message from Zahn; Zahn said. "Once it's implanted, you take out the catheter and, if everything goes well, you're left with a good, functioning valve." I preceive some uncertainty there.

In my own case firstly there isn't a subcutaneous valve nearly large enough. Secondly, due to the amount of scarring and calcification around the homograft, which was itself a re-do of a mechanical, this procedure is a big no no.

I agree that I think this is still years away for the "general population" but I have my fingers and toes and all other body parts crossed that it is an option for me the next time I need OHS. Quiet honestly, at this moment in time, I don't know how I will bring myself to do it again.

Kim

My surgeon told me that they will be doing this on the general population in the future. He said those that have already had a valve replacement will be perfect candidates for it. I had a brain aneursym fixed the same way in Nov. 07. Ten years ago that was so out there. It is amazing how far they come each year.

Just
KathyM

My doctor wanted me to go to Cleveland Clinic for the percutaneous aortic valve, but when i called there they said the way the FDA study is set up the guidelines call for people to have to be 70 or older and with 30 days or less to live. She said my dr. could call the dr. and beg him to have me be part of the study, but my cardiac surgeon said he will definitely not call and beg for anything. Plus, anyway, transportation to Cleveland is near impossible for me. From what i've read about it though, it looks as though it will be a viable option down the road in 10 years, or so. The nurse at Cleveland Clinic told me it still is so new that they can't guarantee it's success at all. She said basically people are just guinea pigs and it's still in the investigational stage.

This is promising for sure, but I don't understand how they'd get an artificial valve OUT of the heart without OHS. I understand how they'd get the percutaneous valve IN. A mech valve, like mine - certainly would not come out that way. It's sutured in place, and those would have to be cut. Right?

Back