New to list Overwelmed =0

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome aboard. I am glad to read you're staying positive, this helps a great deal. I used to have occasional dry coughs before the surgery. Try to sleep on more pillows and see if this helps.

Best wishes and prayers, :)

Hi Gary,

Welcome to the site. This is a very knowledgable and caring group. I havent been here long and i'm so glad i found this.

I didn't know i had heart issues until i went to er in complete heart failure. my symptoms were i hadn't been able to lay down because i would start coughing and couldnt get a breath. i am much better since i had my mvr april 2007,. i wasnt able to lay down immediately after surgery but approx. 3 months later i could. i currently take lasix to help with those issues which helps. I sleep with my husband again :). That is the best thing since my surgery lol. wink.

I wish the best for you. Really surgery recovery wasnt as horrible as you would think.

let us know how you are doing.

cindy

Garyman, I joined this group when I was diagnosed with aortic stenosis a week before you did. It is a lot to take in to suddenly learn that your heart is failing. A few days ago a friend suggested I was grieving for the my life as I knew it before. Perhaps that is so. My GP says its now time to begin preparing for a new and better future. She thinks it is easier to bid good bye to an old self image if you start now building a new one. Part of that might be setting a goal for next year. When I told my cardiologist I had not been on a long bike ride in two years, he challenged me to meet him for the Hotter'n Hell Hundred next August. I've not been able to ride for the past year so that sounds pretty good right now.

As for the cough, I only experience it while sitting or standing. Like others said, it's more of a tickling down in the throat. My GP says it may be associated with poor blood flow out of the lungs. I have found that all of the symptoms abate when I consciously reduce my active hours, take a nap in the afternoon and try to get a good night's sleep. For a while, this is our life but we are the lucky ones because we can be fixed.

Take care of yourself and start making plans. Bye for now, I have to go air up my tires. Mentu

Gary ~ I just wanted to say Hi and welcome to VR. I, for some reason, am unusual in that i don't have any trouble breathing when i'm laying down. It's when i get up that i have trouble breathing. I'm on diuretics, but my legs swell more when i'm in bed. Makes no sense at all, but that's the way i am for some reason.

Sorry i can't be of much help, and that i can only be supportive. When i first joined i was going to have my bicuspid valve replaced in mid-July, but then doctors decided i was inoperable so there is probably nothing more they can do for me. Surgery is scary i know (i was scared thinking about it) but, like Mentu just said, consider yourself blessed that you can have surgery and a chance at living many, many wonderful years!

My best wishes and prayers are with you,

Dawn-Marie

Latest posts

Back