New to Group

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Amy

I just went through open heart surgery on Mar 21/11 at age 55. You know what? Other then quality sleep was non existent in the hospital, I had an excellent experience. Developed Atrial fib which set me back a little. No big deal. I'm on a course of Amiodarone for 3 months. Appx 1/3 of AV replacement patients develop Atrial Fib. Just be prepared that you may be in this category, but it is curable.

Adjust your pain killer meds as directed by your physician. You want to be able to accomplish the breathing drills, walk and rest comfortably. This is difficult to do if you are in pain.

I like you had the On-X valve implanted and had an aneurysm of 4.2 of the ascending aorta removed and a graft spliced in. The surgeon reduced my INR from 2.5-3.5 to 2.0 to 3.0 because of the On-X.

I'm glad at your young age you chose a MHV over a tissue valve. I see way to many young folks ignoring the perils of additional reops predominantly because they do not want to manage ACT. A friend of mine lost a sister after 7 OHS in her 40's. Their was so much scar tissue from the procedures they could no longer operate. With no available heart transplant donor she died. If you were in your mid 50's noproblemo, tissue or a MHV would be acceptable.

On-X is having great success with it's clinical study, having select patients function with an INR of 1.5-2.0. By 2015, I expect this will be our zone!

Expect a great experience and go with the flow, these folks are pro's and this is their area of expertise. Let them take care of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you to all who have responded ........I do feel better knowing I'm not alone and knowing tha?t there are so many friendly and supportive people here!
I just had my cardiac cath and am recovering from that (developed a big hematoma :(
My surgery is in 1 week. I am reading and learning lots from this wonderful group. There is so much great info here.
Thanks again
Amy

Good luck with your surgery! You will find lots of great information here and all the members are very helpful!

Hi Hank

I saw that you edited my post. Oh yea, feeling like I was a rebal sent to the principles office at age 56. It's fun to be bad! He He. Actually I agree with the edit. Good catch!

HI Amy,

I will have my AVR on the 20th and the main thing I wanted to say is that I am staying positive and focused on that and not worrying about the "what if"s. We will both be fine. God bless you.

jeri

Hey Amy,

Just wanted to say Hi and wish you all the best with your surgery. I am 6 weeks post-op and feeling great. This one of the toughest things (mentally and physically)you will go through. You say this is your 1st major surgery, just think of it as just that, a simple surgery and move on!

It was great to find this forum for me also, it helps to be surrounded by others that understand and can shower us with advice and hope.
I spent 2 months in Homer City, Pa last year, I really enjoyed myself, you live in a wonderful State.

Hi Amy: Looks like we’re both scheduled for valve replacement on the 18th. I am also getting an On-X valve at HUP; I am seeing Dr. Pochettino. I like the idea of no more OHS (hopefully) and can deal with anticoagulation better than another op. My story is not too unlike yours – saw my regular doctor in mid Jan just to get med refills and here I am 12 weeks later looking at OHS. There is lots of stuff to learn and thankfully these guys here have been super helpful and have seen or heard most of it. I echo their inputs – get informed, make your choices and then accept what is going to happen and focus on the future after all the crazy stuff is done. I am sure that you will do fine- the folks at HUP are great and know their stuff. I’ll keep my eyes open for you around the unit :0)

Hi Larry
Dr Pochettino is my Surgeon too. Maybe we'll see each other there.
Best wishes
Amy

Latest posts

Back