Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to VR Mileena! I'm glad that you found us & hope that by answering some of your questions & giving you the support you seek, will make your recovery easier. Keep in mind that we all recover differently --- some people bounce back soon than others; I unfortunately, took about 1 yr & 1/2 to start feeling human again after my 3rd OHS. So don't get discouraged or depressed if you just don't have the strength or stamina that you wish you had. It will come back in due time.

For now, enjoy your new lease on life & take it easy! :)

I don't mind taking a pill every day and i sure don't want to go through another surgery again. Do you have any side affects taking Warfarin? My surgeon is recommending that i go with the mechanical because of my age. I do like to go out after softball with the guys to have a few beers each week. Does this pose a problem?

Pat

I don't mind taking a pill every day and i sure don't want to go through another surgery again. Do you have any side affects taking Warfarin? My surgeon is recommending that i go with the mechanical because of my age. I do like to go out after softball with the guys to have a few beers each week. Does this pose a problem?

Pat

I've never noticed any side affects with coumadin & as you read from my previous post, I've been on it an awful long time. Dick has been on coumadin for 42 years, so perhaps he can add his 2 cents worth here too.

As we mentioned, consistency is the key. If you want to have a drink or two with your friends occasionally, that should not be a problem. What do you mean by a few beers --- a six pack? One or two beers should be okay --- I'm not a drinker so perhaps some of our beer drinking buds can chime in here & give you a heads up.

Welcome Mileena!

You have definitely come to the right place! Best wishes to you! You will find so much information right here. It has been a Godsend for me.

Take care.

Just wanted to say Hello!! You have found a wonderful place!!!! You went back to work soon.. Please take care and don't try to do too much...

I love these Coumadin discussions ;)

Somewhat tongue-in-cheek:

1. In eight years of being on Coumadin I've never worried about my diet. (I do confess that I have used Coumadin as an excuse not to eat something I didn't want to - please don't tell my wife!).

2. I drink alcohol regularly and mostly moderately. I used to drink Merlot, but now prefer a good Shiraz - red wine is good for you ;). The only adverse affect has been on my waistline, not my INR. If my liver self-destructs in 20 years, well then it's been an enjoyable 20 years.

3. Contrary to common belief, relatively few people actually bleed to death in dentists' chairs while getting their teeth cleaned.

4. I regularly play with sharp & dangerous things: hobby knives, power saws, sledge hammers, wrenches, etc. I am skilled at busting my knuckles and have not bled to death from doing so.

5. I have crashed my triathlon bike at over 20 mph, cracking my helmet when my head hit the pavement. Slightly separated my shoulder, but did not bleed to death from my road rash or a closed head injury (but I did ruin my Lance Armstrong Livestrong bike jersey :( ).

Had someone tell me recently that Coumadin users often 'spontaneously' bleed to death. Not sure how to respond to that...

Just my $0.02. Your mileage may vary.

Mark

I love these Coumadin discussions ;)

Somewhat tongue-in-cheek:

1. In eight years of being on Coumadin I've never worried about my diet. (I do confess that I have used Coumadin as an excuse not to eat something I didn't want to - please don't tell my wife!).

2. I drink alcohol regularly and mostly moderately. I used to drink Merlot, but now prefer a good Shiraz - red wine is good for you ;). The only adverse affect has been on my waistline, not my INR. If my liver self-destructs in 20 years, well then it's been an enjoyable 20 years.

3. Contrary to common belief, relatively few people actually bleed to death in dentists' chairs while getting their teeth cleaned.

4. I regularly play with sharp & dangerous things: hobby knives, power saws, sledge hammers, wrenches, etc. I am skilled at busting my knuckles and have not bled to death from doing so.

5. I have crashed my triathlon bike at over 20 mph, cracking my helmet when my head hit the pavement. Slightly separated my shoulder, but did not bleed to death from my road rash or a closed head injury (but I did ruin my Lance Armstrong Livestrong bike jersey :( ).

Had someone tell me recently that Coumadin users often 'spontaneously' bleed to death. Not sure how to respond to that...

Just my $0.02. Your mileage may vary.

Mark
Minus the triathelon - that's pretty much my life too. I've never stopped myself from doing something because of Coumadin.

Matt, no offense, but around here, it's not a blood thinner, it's an anticoagulant. Thinner sounds like water to people. Your blood does not turn to water nor run like it, it merely inhibits it's ability to clot as fast. Do not fall for the fallacy of not eating the dark green vegetables. It's proven time and time again to be nonsense.

Ross,

True, coumadin (warfin) is an anticogaulant, but its also termed a blood thinner even though that's not what it really does.

Warfarin is used to prevent and treat harmful blood clots. This medication helps to keep blood flowing smoothly in your body by decreasing the amount of clotting proteins in the blood. Warfarin is sometimes commonly referred to as a "blood thinner," but its more correct term is "anticoagulant." Conditions which increase your risk of developing blood clots include a certain type of irregular heart rhythm (atrial fibrillation), heart valve replacement, or a recent heart attack. Preventing harmful blood clots helps to reduce the risk of a stroke or heart attack.

Sorry, but WRONG. Eat your vegetables, including the dark leafy greens. Dose the diet you eat, don't diet the dose of the drug. You can have Spinach or anything else. It can all be adjusted for. Diet plays a very small role in INR management
Heh...I eat vegetables daily, just keep my green leafies to a minimum. If someone is new to coumadin and and having a hard time regulating it this could be something to look at.

Alcohol, depending upon the person "May" raise your INR and in some, it does nothing or even lowers it. It's unpredictable until you've done it.
Completely true, I was merely sharing my experience. When I went to a party I didnt drink in moderation I was a kid. Kids don't understand moderation and my consumption was usually enough to have been hurling sometime that night :p

Nearly all of us are on a Aspirin regimen here. It works on the platelets differently then Coumadin does. This is NOT a no no.
Perhaps I should have clarified, if you are on an aspirin regimen that's one thing. I personally was on 1 aspirin a day to about the 1st year after my first valve replacement. then it was discontinued. Regardless, I was always told by my every cardiologists/thoracic surgeon not to use aspirin for headaches or pain (perk from the coumadin, at least for me is headaches are rare). I was always instructed to use tylenol but some doctors dont want you to take that either. Perhaps my DR's have been old school but that a rule I've always followed.

MarkU...Hillarious!

When I was a kid the Dr's wanted me on a low sodium diet and my parents (i was 8 at the time) went overboard. Ever heard of charlies chips...if not, you dont want to. They offer saltless chips...there should be a law! Have you ever tried to eat a saltless pretzel stick...its like eating bark. Currently I dont restrict myself in way, I just try to do things in moderation and my DR is okay with that.

2. I drink alcohol regularly and mostly moderately. I used to drink Merlot, but now prefer a good Shiraz - red wine is good for you . The only adverse affect has been on my waistline, not my INR. If my liver self-destructs in 20 years, well then it's been an enjoyable 20 years.
I've got two kids (7 and 13 months) with one on the way, of course I drink. Honestly, I'm more of a Vodka/martini guy but usually have a bottle of Yellow Tail Shiraz around for emergencies and will share some Reisling with the wife...she likes the sweet stuff...yuck :p

Are you kidding man! I always carry at least two pints of O neg on me at all times. Seriously, the only time I've had an issue with bleeding at the dentist is when I had my lower wisdom teeth pulled...Cardiologist had me discontinue coumadin for a few days on that deal. For valve recipients its more about the antibiotics to cover the valve against infection.

LOL, see item 3

5. I have crashed my triathlon bike at over 20 mph, cracking my helmet when my head hit the pavement. Slightly separated my shoulder, but did not bleed to death from my road rash or a closed head injury (but I did ruin my Lance Armstrong Livestrong bike jersey ).

Worst thing I think I've done is, I was told 'NO CONTACT SPORTS' but...I was 8 and peer pressure sucks. Anyway I got hit in the chest with a hockey stick which somehow bent one of the wires holding my sternum together up and it came thru the skin. Again, I was 8 and didnt want to get into trouble so I didn't tell my parents. Was able to hide it for a week till my mom found blood on a bunch of my shirts in the laundry not alot, but enough. Dont think I left my room for a month:p. There was the whole high school wrestling thing, told my parents I needed a physical for Track...that didnt end well either. LOL!

Funny story about bicycle's. I started my coumadin therapy at age 8 in 1979. In order to ride a bicycle I had to wear a helmet. Its an everyday requirement for kids today and they have some REALLY cool stuff available. In 1979 you didnt have to strap a baby into a car seat, wear a seat belt and and a bicycle saftey was just about unheard of but my parents found one. It was bight yellow, had about 2 inches of padding on the inside and a BIG black chip strap and unfortunately for me one of the handicapped kids at school had the same helmet because he would hit his head against the walls when he was mad. Ah, children are brutal and needless to say I stopped riding my bicycle shortly there after...heh.

Finally, not to be crude but...there is a certain benefit for most the gentlemen out there taking coumadin. I was talking with a bunch of guys when I as younger...you know guy talk. Anyway, there was a difference in...performance levels lets say. Afterward, I asked my cardiologist about it and he smirked and said yeah, thats probably the couamdin and added see all the side effects negative.

Ross,

Heh...I eat vegetables daily, just keep my green leafies to a minimum. If someone is new to coumadin and and having a hard time regulating it this could be something to look at.

I still disagree. If they minimize their intake, they are dieting the dose and will never become stable. If they eat a semi consistent amount each week, it's dosing the diet and the way it should be. It actually helps stability. Most often the problem is an incompetent Coumadin Manager behind the scenes, not what the people are eating. We see it every single day in the anticoag forum. Come down and have a look at some of threads where people have too low or too high INR's. ;)

We are trying very hard to convert people away from the "Thinner" term, around here, it's Anticoagulant. ;)

Sounds like you are doing very well. I had a flutter after my surgery, and it had to be converted. I know how you feel, since I have had the same fear that mine will come back. It hasn't, and I'm back to work, too. Like you, I have been recovering quickly, and I'm sure I simply overdid it too soon, so each day, I get stronger and the likelihood of it happening again gets reduced. But whatever happens, the problems you seem to be having are minor, and the good news is that things have gone well for you. I'm glad. Keep us posted.

I still disagree. If they minimize their intake, they are dieting the dose and will never become stable. If they eat a semi consistent amount each week, it's dosing the diet and the way it should be. It actually helps stability. Most often the problem is an incompetent Coumadin Manager behind the scenes, not what the people are eating. We see it every single day in the anticoag forum. Come down and have a look at some of threads where people have too low or too high INR's.

We are trying very hard to convert people away from the "Thinner" term, around here, it's Anticoagulant. ;)

Keep on hammering these messages home, Ross!

Jim

If they minimize their intake, they are dieting the dose and will never become stable. If they eat a semi consistent amount each week, it's dosing the diet and the way it should be. It actually helps stability.

It is a lifestyle situation, for me its almost impossible to be consistent with my diet. I travel almost on a weekly basis anywhere from 2-4 days per week and spend entirely too much time in airports and rental cars. Also with occassional international travel eating in and of itself can be an...adventure. I do agree though that if you can create that stability in your diet that is the best way to go.

With regards to the terminology for coumadin, I started taking it at age 8...ugh, good god 30 years ago!:eek: Anyway, I grew up calling it (as did my DR's and parents) the T word. It kind of ingrained there...like how I use the word Coke for any type of carbonated soft drink. I am still a n00b here and am still learning ;) so I will do my best to watch my cyber mouth as best I can. :cool:

I have a co-worker whose sister is on warfarin. Every now and then he refers to her being on blood-thinner, sees me open my mouth to say anticoagulant, and corrects himself. One person at a time:)

Latest posts

Back