New mechanical valve - no warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ALCapshaw2 said:
There IS and intermediate step. The On-X Valves show lower rates of clot formation and other morbid events than other mechanical valves on the market. On-X has been in use for 10 years in Europe, Africa, and the Pacific and 5 years in the USA. Early data is VERY promising. That is the Valve I have requested for my upcoming Mitral Valve Replacement. FDA has sanctioned studies for Aspirin or Plavix only protocol in Low Risk (aortic) patients and reduced anti-coagulation in Medium Risk patients. See www.onxvalves.com for info and contact info. They have been VERY helpful in sending supporting documentation to me and my doctors.

'AL Capshaw'

In retrospect, I would have chosen a different valve. I think anything that has even the hope of being less apt to clot when having to come off warfarin for brief periods of time would be a major plus. I had a lengthy visit with my neurosurgeon today and the issue of the length of time I would need to be off warfarin and the risks involved is the single reason I've not signed any papers for surgery yet.

This will take a wait-and-see. There have been similar claims made for other valves not that long ago. It would be great to see one pan out.

I am disappointed that nothing new seems to have come out of this valve discovery. If it's working, surely there should be more news of it by now, even if just speculation, or a discussion of how the trials are to be handled, or how the trials are progressing. Even a translation to other languages of what statements and articles are already extant. After all, this involves big news and big money if it's successful.

Silence isn't usually a harbinger of success.

A not-entirely-dissimilar valve was discussed in this short thread:
http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18971&highlight=polyurethane

Best wishes,

Well, these things take time. The first step is to complete the first 5
human trials. IF this goes well. The next step is to make a trial of
1000 human inplants. IF this is succesful, the valve will get an approval
and can be commercialized.(at least here in Europe, it´ll get a CE-certification)

The thing about this valve is also it has much less turbulence in the bloodflow
as it consists of three leaflets. The material is pure titan which is somewhat soft and and naturally gets small groth of cells onto it which reduces the
clicking sound.

I think taking one step at the time is the way to proceed. News or no news.

/
Martin

Latest posts

Back