New Cop on the Block-Newbee intro

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, and welcome. I had my surgery at 57. Without it I would most certainly not be here today. I think we were all shaken by Valerie's death - it happens, but the majority of valve surgeries are life-saving and life-giving events. Celebrate the expectation of a wonderful retirement!

Hi Bob and welcome, I am also 56 years old and on 7/30/2009 had an aortic aneurysm that was ready to blow removed. I will ditto what everyone else has said. Just make sure you do your homework and have a great surgeon. Wishing you lots of luck.

I have confidence in my surgeon, valve choice, hospital, cardio rehab, etc. but I must say I am still pretty freaked out about what awaits....

Bob - Oregon

Helllo Bob!

Believe me; you will be on an emotional roller coaster from now until surgery. Sometimes you will feel great about it and other times you may be faced with a great deal apprehension and just plain fear. This is all perfectly normal. I cried when my time in the waiting room was up even though I found out about my valve about 3 and half years before it was time for surgery. I also cried for at least 10 minutes after I arrived home from the hospital. Please do not hesitate to ask questions and or just express your concerns. We are here to help each other.

Karl

Dexter Bob? I knew a Bob Dexter.

My aneurysm did blow and guess what, I'm still here! One of the few, the lucky, and still have no idea why. It's kind of like double tap to the head, but you still have your brains.

Welcome Bob from another 56 yr old. Geez there are a lot of us that age hanging around here. I understand how you feel, only I've known aobut my AS for 10 years now, just watching it and living life normal. Now it seems to be gradually getting worse and my time will come soon enough I guess. I know exactly what you meant about Valerie and how it hit you like a ton of bricks. I felt it too. I was crying for Valerie, but also I think it was the first time I really cried over what was going to be coming sometime and just the anxiety of it all. I am so sorry for Valerie and sad for those who loved her, but I am also glad to hear what AL had to say in his post. I gathered from other things that I'd read that Valerie had other issue too that made her fall into that 1% category and IMHO I think maybe they waited too long for her surgery. It felt good to hear it said though.

Anyway - welcome to the forum!. It has helped me immensely and I'm sure it will you too. At least the waiting will be over for you soon enough and you'll be on the other side living large!

Rhena

Welcome to the site Bob, I am now nearly 5 months post-op and just this afternoon spent some time on my sailing boat doing all the things I did before, just better. You will come through just fine and feel the better for it!

Hi and Welcome. Glad you decided to post. Looking forward to hearing more from you. Thank you for the work you did as an officer. I sure would not want to do it.

Bob -

Try not to get too concerned about Valerie's fate happening to you. She had several co-morbidities, not to mention what appears to have been an undiagnosed aneurism which IMO should have ruled out the Ross Procedure. We'll probably never know what went wrong. I'll let it go at that...

The Question for you to ask your surgeon is "How much Experience do you have doing the Procedure I will need?" (and what are your results!?)

If you are satisfied with the answers you get, then you should be 'good to go'.

Also along with what Al said, If something doesn't seem "right" to you, based on what almost everyone elses experience is, question it. For example, I believe Val didn't have a pre op cath, CT or more recent MRI then when she was pregnant over 2 years ago. One of the reason almost every person I know of having heart surgery has these "routine tests" done, is it greatly lessons the chances of the surgeon being suprised when they open you, and depending what they find, could make a difference in what options are suggested to you as well as the surgeon's planning of what/how he will perform the surgery to get the best out come possible.. Would this have made any difference? as Al said we'll never know.
Granted even with the best tests available being done, surgeons are often surprised with how much worse a valve or aorta some other thing is than they were expecting, but IMO the more things the surgeons know about you before they even walk in to the OR, the better.
BUt back to my origonal thought, (and this isn't meant for you,it sounds to me you have everything coverred, but for anyone in general who reads post here needing surgery some day), IF anything your surgeon or cardiologists or any doctor tells you just doesn't seem right in your gut, question it. This is where getting 2nd opinions can also be helpful. Especially if you are having a complex surgery, a surgeon with alot of experience not only doing YOUR surgical choice but other complex surgeries, and they and the staff have seen almost everything and know the best, safest ways to deal with not only the planning and actually surgery, but any complications that MIGHT come up any where along the way. That surgeon might tell you different things / order different tests, than your first surgeon and in MY experience, this is where it is important to listen to your gut. I'm glad your cardiologist sent you right to a surgeon. So many times we read people's posts where their cardiologist keeps saying it isn't time for surgery yet, but they questioned that and listened to their gut so went ahead and scedualed an appt with a surgeon and ended up having surgery and finding out later that it was a good thing they did because they really could not have waited much longer with the shape they valve/aorta ect was in.
BTW my Dad is also a retired policeman, he was a Pa State Trooper. I'll keep you in my prayers.

welcome bob , i am 4 weeks post op and as said by many before the waiting truly is the hardest part , its a hell of an emotional rollercoaster you`ve step on, but they can fix you.

Being a police officer, you took a risk every time you stopped a car. You took precautions, you learned about what's best to do, you tried to strike a balance between ensuring your own safety and making a reasonable experience for the person you were stopping, and you looked for backup when it makes sense.

It's the same here. If you're otherwise healthy, your chances are 99% to get through. If you have other health problems, they're less. The other health problems are kind of like having distracting thoughts on your mind when making a traffic stop. It probably won't matter. But it might.

Of course we want everyone who comes onto the site to survive and do well. And an extreme percentage of them do. (I have a theory that it's because much older people who have comorbidities and are not on the internet as much, and don't have much representation on the site yet. As the tech-savvy age, this will shift.) When someone doesn't make it, it's a tragic blow to all of us.

This alone should make you feel better. if it happened all the time, we'd be much less responsive to it. However, having it out there in front of you can't help but feed that edge of fear that all normal humans all get before an OHS. Keep yourself distracted, go for a vacation in a place that you find beautiful, find some peace for when you go in.

I agree with Al, that the finding of an aneurysm should have negated the Ross Procedure for Val. Active connective tissue disease (such as is indicated by an aneurysm) is a high percentage predictor for eventual (even rapid) failure of the pulmonary valve that has been transplanted to the aortic position. I also agree with Al that the extent of the experience of the surgeon is a primary indicator for success.

I also agree with Lyn, insofar as you should not feel the least bit awkward about going for a second opinion. I was my own second opinion in a way this time around, and fired my old cardiologist and presented my case to my surgeon myself.

As an example, while they may not have done a cath on Val because she was so young and unlikely to need a bypass, her youth would have made her seem suspect for connective tissue disease, so it could have made sense to redo a CT scan or MRA of the arteries before surgery. Val's peak aortic pressure gradient was also very high before she finally get scheduled for surgery. This is hard on the heart and can be hard on all of the body's other organs in some circumstances. Some cardiologists delay surgery very long, trading the obvious risk of surgery for the less visible damage of the continued stress on the heart.

In another set of doctors, she might've been sent earlier, or might have had another MRI or CT scan. There's no saying that it would have made any difference, but there would have been less abuse to the heart before the surgery, and more understanding of what they would find when they got there to work on it. A less tired and beaten heart has more ability to function under the duress of an imperfect surgery and recover from an emergency second surgery that repairs a wrinkle in a pulmonary valve suture line. If the aneurysm had been detected ahead of time, the Ross Procedure might have been preempted by a different method, and there would've been no pulmonary aspect to the procedure.

Of course, it's very easy to second-guess a process after things have already gone wrong. I'm not a medical professional, and I don't do heart surgeries, so I have no skin in the game, and am not attempting to fault those who do. This is just to say that different doctors can create different experiences, and agreeing that if you feel uncomfortable with what you've been told (and you don't seem to, from your post) a second opinion is worth the time and effort, even if the opinion is the same.

As is the case for each of us, you are in your own situation. Not Val's, not Al's, not Ross's, not mine. You have a straightforward issue, you're otherwise generally healthy, and just slightly younger than me. In short, you're a great candidate for the 99%. Go forward with that knowledge.

Best wishes,

WOW! Thanks for all the support! I kinda had a rough week this last. On another front, my PSA level jumped up again necessitating another biopsy which are never fun:mad: My heart surgeon told me "Its no big deal, of course I have never had one." To which I told him, "Picture getting shot in the ass with a nailing gun twelve times!:eek:" His response "Now there's a visual!" Then I was off to the dentist for a couple of fillings. He was concerned about my AS so did not use the usual numbing shot since it had epinehrine in it; didn't want to raise my blood pressure. So after 6 six shots of the alternative I said my BP is surely jacked up from the pain I have just endured! Give me the good stuff next time!

So I loaded up the wife and two dogs and went for alittle R&R at our little vacation place in the Cascade Mountains. Nothing like some mountain air to settle me down. Woke up to the first snow of the season to boot. So I am again feeling positive about life and what lies ahead. I take great comfort from all of your well wishes and having this forum to turn to!!

Bob

What a great visual indeed! I mean the vacation place in the Cascades - not the biopsy! Beautfiul mountains and I have spent some time up there myself at my Uncle's cabin. After a big snowfall without a footprint in sight. I think it might be the most beautfiul sight ever. Keep that visual if the panice starts to rise and take lots of deep breaths!

Rhena

Welcome Bob! Of course everyone here had rather meet under better circumstances, but here we are. We are all in the same boat. Some of us are past the worst of it and some are still aiming toward the goal! I use to tell myself what a baby I was to be scared because there are little kids out there who go through OHS!

What happened to Val was as bad as it gets....and I hate to say it but I am glad I wasn't facing my own surgery as some of you are. I too, feel her situation was a unique one. I re-read all the post her husband wrote and I also recall telling her that I would question a surgeon who didn't order a cath before surgery. I, also am not laying blame....BUT I believe some of her issues could have been avoided. Would she still be with us? Probably not, but like others have said we will never know.

It is important that you put that out of your mind now. You have a surgery to get through and recovery and then the rest of your life. Don't cause yourself more stress than you already have, and don't be afraid to ask the doctor for any meds that might help you with stress.

Good LUCK! You Will be fine!!

Mileena

Hi there Bob and welcome.

Would you just look at how many folks had surgery around the age of 55 on here....me included. My cardio told me that's the most common age when the valves go south.

Along with some other folks, I agree that Val didn't get the best of care since a cardio cath is practically standard testing procedure. And then come to find out, she had an aneurysm....whoa..somebody dropped the ball there as a ross procedure was the last procedure she would have qualified for. Very sad.

Best of luck to you as you travel this journey to better health..!

I must say that I feel in pretty good company with number of folks in my age group having survived and thrived on this board. Safety in numbers!!

I reconnected with a fellow detective from my dept. who retired a week before I did. Six months after retiring he underwent OHS and had a five bypass operation! He is doing great, and had the same surgeon I will. He will be a good source of local support for me. We theorized that the 30 years of the stress of police work held our bodies together; retire, the stress goes away and we fall apart....:rolleyes:

Bob

Welcome Bob! Best of luck on your upcoming surgery.. sending prayers your way...

Greetings to all! I have been lurking for several weeks and feel I should make an intro. I am Bob, 56yrs, diagnosed 10/01/09 with AS after a very routine physical. I retired from police work after 30yrs in 2007:p So after surviving that career and ready for the good life, AVR is scheduled for 01/07/2010:eek:

With all the reading I have done on this fourm, I was feeling pretty good about the whole process coming up. That is until today when I read about Valerie Moriarty passing after her Ross procedure. I am trying to remain optimistic and hoping I am not in that 1% mortality like Val.

I have confidence in my surgeon, valve choice, hospital, cardio rehab, etc. but I must say I am still pretty freaked out about what awaits....

Bob - Oregon

Please remember that my wife's situation was one that rarely ever happens. Stay strong and confident, and trust the hands of the doctors.

Valerie was a one in a million case; please don't let what happened to her frighten you. I would still, to this day, suggest the Ross Procedure to anyone that it is available to. But, please PLEASE be careful and make sure to stay confident.

Back