My new dog -- Mr. Jackel & Dr. Hyde

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jean, you can buy doggie "chill pills" at the pet store. Use them sparingly. Also get an empty soda can, fill it with pennies, and shake it loudly by her ear when she misbehaves. Also, a water bottle filled with water will do the same thing. Tell her firmly, NO! SIT! If all of these dont work, behavior management classes. Best of luck.

Colleen, the shake can has its uses......like when you catch your dog stealing your food, or eating a plant, etc.
It is NOT useful at all for a dog who is afraid or has been abused.

I have seen the 2 types of aggression that have been experienced here;
the protecting aggression, and the unstable, uncontrollable aggression.
I have also seen the shades of grey in between,but usually the ones that
are trying to protect their property and people will have strict definitions
of family and non-family and will never bite or attack one labeled as "family".
The dogs of the other category,as Dennis describes, however you never know who
they will single out or when or even why they react- some of these are not even shelter
dogs with a past,they are just badly wired.
It sounds as if your dog is just protecting her people,but as Bina said the kids are
the priority,its a shame too since she may just be overly protective,but I don't think
anyone could tell you for sure.

Tie up or put the little doggie into her kennel when people are visiting. This is to protect everyone. I don't know about the laws where you live, but over here, if your dog attacks and bites anyone, there is provision for the council dog control officers to impound it and have it destroyed.
You can work on behaviour modification etc in your own time, but best to be on the safe side when you have visitors.
Good luck.

Back