My Medtronic OpenPivot Aortic Valve Does Not Tick

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmstallard

I chose the OpenPivot, but I was very anxious about the noise. I found a few studies that show a lower volume with the OpenPivot, but I was shocked to find, in recovery, that there no clicking AT ALL, and I still hear no click seven days afterward. I do hear the heavy swoosh sound that most of us hear immediately afterward, but not a single click. My surgeon said that, because I'm not too thin (5'7" and 175lb), it probably wouldn't be very loud, but I assumed that meant I would still hear SOME clicking. I also got a root graft, so maybe that contributes to the lack of a click. Also, it's conceivable that there exists a click, but it's covered up by the current hard swooshing beats.

Your mileage may vary, naturally, but I wanted to share that with everyone.

No, instread mine thumps. I understood that this is related to the amounts of scar tissue buildup in the thoracic cavity.

Mine thumps quite audibly, but then mine was implanted as my third operation.

Season has been good here in Finland this year

9426716263_7a243ae85b.jpg

I know they taste good too, cos I ate the one missing from the right
;-)

Toom toom toom

You are very lucky! Mine's a Carbomedic 25mm inside a graft and I would describe the sound it makes as like a basketball hitting a hard wood floor! I am more lean, but still no one hears it except my cardio. I remember being in the hospital and thinking it was so quiet, but as soon as I got home where there was no more white noise, Wow, was it a ticker!
My second mechanical is a different pitch than my 1st one. I had to get used to it all over again.

I have an ATS and I can only hear it in the bathroom & sometimes when I lay down at night. I feared the ticking would drive me insane, but it doesn't bother me a bit. I am pretty small too, 5'4" 120 pounds. I think if I were a big barrel chested dude, I probably wouldn't hear it at all. :)

I have a St Judes mech and my wife tells our friends some nights she feels like she is sleeping with captian hook.

I can hear it especailly at night, but it does not bother me.

I love the Captain Hook reference! I also have a St. Jude's mechanical, and I run a fan at night so my husband and I don't have to hear me tick. I actually find it sort of comforting, better than no ticking!

Yes, I wish I could live by the ocean, where the crashing waves obliterated my ticking valve. We could only afford it for a weekend, sadly!

I have a St. Jude Regent, also. The only time I hear it is when I lie on my side in bed, and, most of the time the sound is so faint, it's like it's in another room.

I think the older St. Jude valves, like the Masters are noisier.

My Medtronic OpenPivot Aortic Valve Does Not Tick

Most people do not hear their own valves tick after the first few days. I heard mine tick when I took my first bath after returning home (about day 7 I believe) and have not heard it since. That was 14 years ago. My family hears it all the time.

I have a St. Jude aortic mechanical by the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes, I wish I could live by the ocean, where the crashing waves obliterated my ticking valve. We could only afford it for a weekend, sadly!

My house is about 2km straight line from the surf. The sound of the pounding is a gentle roar all night, I love it. However I wouldn't want to love closer as the salt spray rots everything. Car deteriorates faster, TV and computers die faster, e sorts of things you can grow in the garden are very limited.

Walks on the beach are good, but if the waves are close enough to make a significant sound inside ... well it costs a lot more than you'd think :)

Hope that makes you feel better about being further away :)

Pellicle you are living so close to the ocean, how wonderful!
We stayed at a condo right on the beach near Monterey, Ca, and it's heaven.
You can't build 'em like that there anymore, so these are special. The kitchen and master bedroom overlooks the crashing waves.
It is just steps to the long stretch of beach. If I won a lottery, I would buy one! There is one good thing about getting used to a loud valve, I don't hear my husband snore at night, or hear him get up at 4am. My brain blocks it out now.

Latest posts

Back