My introduction

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Murby, welcome aboard

its lunch time here in Australia ... so just thought I'd check in

Murby;n852163 said:
... Bottom line, he wanted the OHS within 2 weeks. The surgeon was busy, and I see him on 2-4. They told me to 'plan to stay awhile' and all of the pre-op testing will be done that day. I will probably get a surgery date then. Not looking forward to this AT ALL.

well the good thing is you don't have too much time to stew on it and elevate your anxiety. I lean towards getting it done as soon as possible rather than prostracination but then I'm jump in the pool kinda guy not lower myself in gently.

The proposed surgery is only the valve, not the aneurysm. The doctor said that only if the aneurysm tissue was weak,

from what little I know judging that sort of thing is vexed, having another surgery in a short order to treat an aneurysm which could have been treated early on would be frustrating. I had an aneurysm treated in my last surgery (and the did the valve as that was on the decline as well)

you may find this interesting
http://www.marfanaorticrootsupport.org/images/downloads/Treasure Pepper PEARS 2015.pdf

it is a discussion on the only surgical support for an aneurysm which is not yet dangerous and minimises surgical intervention (NB time on the pump) I understood that its mainly targeting avoiding having to actually break into the blood circulatory system (not something you can do) but may make the operation simpler too.

would he also do the aneurysm. I guess we shall see. I'm leaning toward a tissue valve...

I see from your bio that you're about 63, so for what its worth my view is that in your age group the differences between type are insignificant. If you go tissue do be sure to be doing yearly checkups and don't skip them because you get years of "all is good reports" (like I did).

Best Wishes

pellicle;n852164 said:
Hi Murby, welcome aboard

its lunch time here in Australia ... so just thought I'd check in

well the good thing is you don't have too much time to stew on it and elevate your anxiety. I lean towards getting it done as soon as possible rather than prostracination but then I'm jump in the pool kinda guy not lower myself in gently.

from what little I know judging that sort of thing is vexed, having another surgery in a short order to treat an aneurysm which could have been treated early on would be frustrating. I had an aneurysm treated in my last surgery (and the did the valve as that was on the decline as well)

you may find this interesting
http://www.marfanaorticrootsupport.org/images/downloads/Treasure Pepper PEARS 2015.pdf

it is a discussion on the only surgical support for an aneurysm which is not yet dangerous and minimises surgical intervention (NB time on the pump) I understood that its mainly targeting avoiding having to actually break into the blood circulatory system (not something you can do) but may make the operation simpler too.

I see from your bio that you're about 63, so for what its worth my view is that in your age group the differences between type are insignificant. If you go tissue do be sure to be doing yearly checkups and don't skip them because you get years of "all is good reports" (like I did).

Best Wishes
I can definitely see the idea behind getting both taking care of it once, two birds with one stone, I've been thinking that myself lately but coming at it from the other direction. My aneurysm appears to be stable at 4.8 cm but I've only had it measured twice so far, 6 months apart. My valve is in good shape so that supposed to stay but I understand these bicuspid valves have a tendency to go south over time and my thinking is the aneurysm could be stable for years and by the time it's big enough to require surgery whatever is going to go bad with the valve might already be far enough along that I would get it taken care of at the same time. Whereas the route I'm on now could have me taking care of the aneurysm now and having to get another surgery for the valve down the road. Just thinking out loud as my surgery date gets closer, not that I'm going to back out but sometimes I do feel like I'm on that stage in a roller coaster when you're ascending and you're wondering why you got strapped in the first place

Hi, pellicle,
I have a friend in Brisbane. I always refer to her as being "across the pond".
It is my understanding that they do not operate on aneurysms until they get to 5 or greater. Mine was found in 2007, 4 cm, and has remained at 4 cm. My valve, however, has continued to deteriorate. They watched it, and 1 is the time they like to do surgery. Mine is .96, with starting heart damage due to the narrow opening. I just started getting symptoms about 4 months ago.
Thank-you for your response and support.

I would imagine they generally don't operate on an aneurysm less than 5.0cm if that is the ONLY cause for surgery. If the valve needs replacing and you had a 4.7cm aneurysm I would want something done about it while they're doing the valve.

Hi, Murby!

Welcome to The Waiting Room - the virtual room where many folks await their own turns at valve surgery. It sounds like your stay in waiting will be short. Do make yourself at home, though, and ask all the questions you want. The folks here are a wealth of first-hand knowledge and are most generous at sharing it.

I had my aortic valve done at age 63 (no aneurysm here, though). I agree with pellicle in that at your age they will probably offer you the choice of either mechanical or tissue valves. The valves are all good. Each type has its plusses and minuses. We each have to consider them all and make our own choices. Many surgeons prefer mechanical valves for patients younger than a "certain age" (IIRC, Cleveland Clinic uses tissue valves for patients older than mid-50's). Their logic is that the immune systems of younger patients are stronger, and this contributes to calcification of tissue valves happening faster in younger patients than in older patients. Most docs seem to recommend tissue for those of us over 60, with the 50 to 60 folks having a tougher choice, and the younger folks being pushed toward mechanical.

Through it all, the only bad decision is the decision not to have the surgery. That choice only leads to declines in cardiac function, damage to the heart, and a shorter life span (sometimes very short). So - do your homework, prepare your plan, then just "work the plan." It sounds like it will be behind you soon, and then you can begin your "new" life.

Cldlhd,
Who actually wanted you to do the surgery now, since I see you said elsewhere that Dr Bavaria said 'I could take the wait and watch approach and it could be years before I NEED the operation.', and your cardiologist and cath surgeon said they would wait.
If you feel you were rushed into the decision there is nothing wrong with postponing until you feel more sure of whether you want to operate early, or wait and be followed up until your valve needs repair, which would be a safe option and maybe get you longer with your native valve overall, since repairs generally have a finite life. Or indeed decide you would still like early operation and do it in 3-6 months! I only say this because it does seem you are having second thoughts about the timing. Delaying is not backing out, after all, at any point you can decide again to move ahead. I don't want to confuse you, just to remind you that since , as the surgeon says, you don't need to do the operation now ( unlike Murby!) it's perfectly safe to delay things if you are not sure about the timing.

Welcome John and Murby! John, I'm glad you found all of us and can get whatever support you need. There's always someone around to answer questions or help calm your nerves. I'll echo what has already been said about the energy that can be wasted on worry. 98% of the time there's no cause to fret, and many of us agree it wasn't as bad as we thought it would be. I think my low point was 2-3 days about a month (5 weeks?) post-op when life was almost back to normal and I got scared. Maybe it was because the experience wasn't as hard as expected and I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. Fortunately my cardio set me straight and renewed my confidence.

Murby, you may want to start your own thread. I'll add in my encouragement to seek a second opinion on that baby aneurysm. As you can see in my signature, I had mine (which was never even called an aneurysm in my presence or in any of the test reports I've read) addressed when I had my valve repaired. Maybe my surgeon was unusual with his approach; or maybe a second opinion will save you some trouble down the road.

Chris, don't think of it as "backing out." If you think it might be better to wait, then consulting with another doctor could help you out. You have time now, but once you have surgery there's no second guessing.

Thanks northernlights,the decision was all mine. Dr Bavaria said if I didn't want to do it now he'd see me again in a year. I just felt like once it's done I'll be able to do some of the things I want to do that I can't now. Also they told me the cath is only considered valid for 1 year so I'd have to get another before he'd operate. I'm still pretty new to this but I thought maybe getting it repaired early before there's much damage might get me more years out of the valve. I'm just thinking out loud but I theorized that allowing my small leak to continue could damage the leaflets . I'm imagining the ''leaving edge" of the leaflets where they go from not leaking to leaking and the wear from the backflow that could occur.. Hope I didn't go too far into weeds there but like I said just thinking out loud.
Also right now I'm healthy and if I wait obviously that's subject to change and like most I'm not getting younger. Guess I'm just looking for different opinions and reassurance.

Thank-you everyone for your responses and encouragement. I have decided not to get another opinion. I have been watching my reports for months, watching the decline, researching doctors, getting referrals and opinions........it's wearing me out. I feel that I have made my best decision. Between my faith in The Lord and my faith in the doctor, I am ready to trust and move forward. I have made my plans 'either way'. I will continue to read your postings for encouragement, and to see how everyone is doing. This is like a family of support, and I greatly thank all of you.

Latest posts

Back