My experience so far ...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustin

Dear Valvers,

I’ve been lurking here for quite some time and read many of your heart related stories. Let me hereby take the opportunity to wish all of you the best health possible and many years of intense joy with your families, kids, and partners. Your frankness and openness has magically removed a lot of my own anxiety, since I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve stenosis. Now that I’m 31 years of age, the road in front of me appears to get rockier and some dark storms are looming in the horizon…

I was born in Holland, 1974, Europe, and the first three months of my life were great, being a good baby by keeping my parents awake at night like good babies are supposed to do. But after three months of my promising debut, I developed a serious flu and the doctor had to come over to check upon this cute little gentleman. It was at that very moment my doctor heard a “murmur”, and shortly afterwards I was diagnosed with a bicuspid aortic valve stenosis. Luckily, the stenosis was labelled “mild”, where the cardiologist remarked that I would likely develop symptoms later in life. This was good news back then, considering the various scenarios associated with bicuspid aortic stenosis.

As a kid I was fully aware of my “condition” since my mom would frequently take me to the cardiologist to check the progress of the aortic valve disease. But at the age of 21, when I was performing great at the technical university, I took my life in my own hands and decided to skip the valve checkups. Call it the burden of youth, but I felt super strong, almost immortal, and I was on a mission to proof it. Indeed, I participated in various sports events at university just to show that I could beat people: running, rowing, and cycling. There was nothing putting a brake on my momentum, and I enjoyed summers with my friends in the Alps Mountains, hiking and climbing without thinking about the stenosis. Very rarely there were times that I experienced a shortness of breath, a feeling of inhaling very cold air, for example, accompanied with some sort of pressure on the chest. Of course, I refused to connect the dots at those instances, and, looking back, I was in major denial, not even remotely acknowledging my valve issues.

There it was, March 16th 2004, the day my denial ended. Without hesitation, and to a large extent routine, I went for a run in the park. The sun was shining and I felt a chilly wind blowing, saw families with kids playing, so general happiness everywhere. There was this lovely passage in the park with overhanging trees, where the sun would show itself, intermittingly, and I could feel the little warmth on my face like a flashlight going on and off. The pond next to the path I was running on seemed like a giant mirror of bright crystals, partially blinding me. Some sort of wooziness and light-headedness annoyed me that morning but it was somehow new to me, progressively getting worse during the workout. While I was running under the trees, the flashes of sun light amplified my disorientation and lack of balance. Suddenly, something pulled me to the left, and I tried to compensate yet my body refused to respond. By the time I reached the side of the grass, a tunnel vision kicked in accompanied with viscous vertigo, some sense of nausea had announced its presence as well. For a split second I realised the gravity of the situation. I managed to find a nearby tree to latch on to, bending forward, attempting to stabilize myself. Strong dizziness remained for a couple of minutes. My heart was beating erratically, and for a moment I felled like crashing to the ground. In a panick, I decided to walk, pushing my arms up and down while getting my breathing under control. The panick and terror was quite overwhelming, and even though it was quite cold, my fear caused me to sweat profusely.

Back home I took a shower, looked in the mirror, and came to the grim conclusion that 10 years of professional and consistent denial had come to an end rather brutally. Picking up the phone that day was a little humiliating: I had created this image that I was fine, perfect, nothing to worry about, but that image got shattered and I fully enjoyed a deep sinking feeling of a proper reality check.

The cardiologist became a little upset to hear about my ten year check-up celibacy, shaking his head. After the cycling test it turned out that my blood pressure did not increase while working out, proving the advancement of the aortic stenosis. He concluded that, according to my experience in the park, toning down my sports became an absolute necessity if I wanted to reduce the risk of a total collapse with its associated risks.

Just over a week ago I had my first cardiac catherization, which was largely painless in itself. During the procedure I could watch the monitors and see what was happening, but this wasn’t particular comforting when the catheter caused my heart rate to change. When the catheter entered my left ventricle to measure the pressure drop across the aortic valve, I experienced severe arrhythmia. Now, a week later, I have returned to the gym and feel generally OK. No wooziness as of yet or shortness of breath, so perhaps my episode in the park shows that my days of heavy sports have come to an end.

At the 13th of January I have another appointment with my cardiologist to talk about the catherization results. In case my cardiologist believes operation is required, I will definitely go for a mechanical valve such as the St. Jude Regent, ATS, or On-X. These valves are top notch, and with proper INR management, I should be getting 20+ years of good performance without giving up my active lifestyle too much. When I listen to all of you, I will be given a second chance when OHS is required. I call this a blessing, not a burden.

So after this long introduction, I wish you all a lovely and enjoyable Christmas with your families. To those who experienced an OHS recently, your good health is on top of my wish list.

“Do not fear dark storms looming in the horizon, for we will learn how to sail our ships.”

Best wishes,

Dustin.

Welcome Dustin...

Welcome Dustin...

My name is Christina and I am also from The Netherlands but have been living in the US since 1977. I was also born with a Aortic valve defect and had my valve replaced in August of 2000. My surgeon chose a mechanical for me and I have a St. Jude's, 19mm. Am home testing with the Protime and been doing that since January 2001.
I want to "welkom" you to our VR.com family and your questions will be answered by the nicest people, I can guarantee you that. I've been a member since July 2000.

Met de allerbeste wensen vanuit een zonnig Arizona.

Dustin-Welcome!

Dustin-Welcome!

Althought I didn't detect any question in your post, I have one for you:

In your quote above.......
"should be getting 20+ years of good performance"

Why such low expectations?:( Some of us here are nearing 30 years and one over 30 years.:) These were all very early style valves. Nothing like the one you will get.:D I'm curious about what you have been told.:confused:

Welcome to the site. My husband has two mechanicals. One, the aortic is 28 years old. The other is a St. Jude mitral. That's a baby by comparison.

So far, everything is chugging along.

Christina said:
My name is Christina and I am also from The Netherlands but have been living in the US since 1977. I was also born with a Aortic valve defect and had my valve replaced in August of 2000. My surgeon chose a mechanical for me and I have a St. Jude's, 19mm. Am home testing with the Protime and been doing that since January 2001.
I want to "welkom" you to our VR.com family and your questions will be answered by the nicest people, I can guarantee you that. I've been a member since July 2000.

Met de allerbeste wensen vanuit een zonnig Arizona.

The world is a small place after all, but the whether should be a lot better in Arizona than in Holland. Does it actually rain in Arizona? ;)

I hope to be using a home tester as well, further reducing the statistics and make life with warfarin almost a non-issue.

RCB said:
Althought I didn't detect any question in your post, I have one for you:

In your quote above.......
"should be getting 20+ years of good performance"

Why such low expectations?:( Some of us here are nearing 30 years and one over 30 years.:) These were all very early style valves. Nothing like the one you will get.:D I'm curious about what you have been told.:confused:

You're right. The bionics among us should be clicking for as long as it takes to reach retirement, and comfortably live beyond that. :) I was using the 20+ estimate of the anti-coagulation consultant on this board, I can't remember his/her name. Technically, the mechanical valve should last for over a century. No?

Nancy said:
Welcome to the site. My husband has two mechanicals. One, the aortic is 28 years old. The other is a St. Jude mitral. That's a baby by comparison.

So far, everything is chugging along.

28 years is perfect performance indeed. I need to revise my mechanical durability estimates signifantly upwards. I do not wish to be intrusive, but has your husband experienced any thromboembolic event at all during those 28 years?

Well Written Story!

Well Written Story!

Dustin, Welcome! Denial isn't a very healthy strategy. I tried it too, though for a much shorter time. My doctor pursued me! You are on the right track now! Nice to hear you've been doing your homework. I suspect you will do very well once you get through the surgery. I don't keep myself in shape consistently, but have been more active than many of my peers. I've enjoyed skiing, cycling, kayaking, and sailing beachcats since my operation with no ill affects. If any of you doubt sailing being a physically demanding sport, spend a day with my Fleet when the wind is up! You have a lot of great sailors over there! Keep us posted! All the best, Brian

Welcome, Dustin. It's amazing that so many of us make it through our teens and early twenties - I think many many of us have the same attitude you had - nothing bad can happen to me!!!

Your attitude has certainly changed and you sound like you're really ready to resolve this whole thing. We'll be interested to hear what your cardiologist has to say in January.

Merry Christmas to you and yours; from Illinois where the weather's really a lot like the Netherlands' - except maybe colder. Not like sunny Arizone (Christina had to write that in Dutch because at this time of year the rest of us can hardly stand to think about the warm, sunny climes . . . ;) )

Dustin said:
The world is a small place after all, but the weather should be a lot better in Arizona than in Holland. Does it actually rain in Arizona? ;)

I hope to be using a home tester as well, further reducing the statistics and make life with warfarin almost a non-issue.

Dustin,:)

Yes, at times it does rain in Arizona but not that much since we live in the desert.:) :) I live in the SW about an hour from the Mexican border and we get about 350 days of sunshine a year.:) :) During the winter months we get more rain and during the summer we get the monsoon rains. (natte moeson) It does get very hot here during July & August (40+ degrees Celcius:eek: :eek: :eek: ), but it beats shoveling snow and being cold anytime.:D :D :D AC works great.:cool: :cool: :cool:
Our nights can get very cold and it does freeze at times. Depends on the elevation. Early mornings can be chilly during the winter months and you would need a light sweatshirt/jacket to keep warm. During the day the temperatures can get up to 80+ degrees Fahrenheit. (26 Celcius):cool: :cool: :cool:

BTW...your English is very good...

Christina said:
Dustin,:)

Yes, at times it does rain in Arizona but not that much since we live in the desert.:) :) I live in the SW about an hour from the Mexican border and we get about 350 days of sunshine a year.:) :) During the winter months we get more rain and during the summer we get the monsoon rains. (natte moeson) It does get very hot here during July & August (40+ degrees Celcius:eek: :eek: :eek: ), but it beats shoveling snow and being cold anytime.:D :D :D AC works great.:cool: :cool: :cool:
Our nights can get very cold and it does freeze at times. Depends on the elevation. Early mornings can be chilly during the winter months and you would need a light sweatshirt/jacket to keep warm. During the day the temperatures can get up to 80+ degrees Fahrenheit. (26 Celcius):cool: :cool: :cool:

BTW...your English is very good...

Those 350 days of sunshine a year should virtually eliminate all signs of mental depression in your state. :) At the moment, I'm getting up in the dark here, clouds all day, cold wind, and brutal hail. You can imagine what that does to your mood ...

BTW: I lived in Britain for a couple of years, so I picked up some tricks to bluff my way through good English. ;)

Welcome, Dustin...

This is a really great place, but I'm sure you know that by now. Please keep us posted on your appointment results and we will all be looking out for you. My husband, Tyce, and I have been here 3+ years.....the people are the best!!!

Welcome aboard.

Evelyn

Dustin,

Welcome aboard. I think almost all of us here have been guilty of "sticking our head in the sand" when it came to heart issues, just maybe not as long as you.:D I had that feeling that "what I didn't know wouldn't hurt me". WRONG!!!!!:eek: :eek: :D

You've found a wonderful bunch of guys (if I do say so myself) that will help you through this. As you've already found out, you are not alone. Someone is usually "home" 24/7. We will leave the light on for you.:) :) :)

Happy sailing (you've got the helm:D----the rest of us are watching the compass to help guide you:) ) and,

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

May God Bless,

Danny

I agree you should reap well over twenty years from your new valve, when you receive it. Usually, when those valves need to be replaced, it's due to a change in the heart's condition, rather than a fault of the valve. The healthier your heart stays in other ways, the longer the valve should be able to stay in place.

Both ATS and On-X are making noise about alternative or reduced AntiCoagulation Treatment (ACT). St. Jude's strong suit is its long track record. It might be worth some time to check them out as thoroughly as possible. You can also search on this site from "Search" on the top bar. I find the "Advanced Search" option is most healpful.

Although you may well have already visited them, here are some manufacturer links to start:

http://www.atsmedical.com/Content/iropvalve.php

http://www.onxvalves.com/ValveInformation.asp

http://www.sjm.com/devices/device.aspx?name=SJM+Regent®+Valve&location=us&type=18

Glad to have you aboard.

Best wishes,

Hello, Dustin, and welcome to The Waiting Room -- the virtual room in which many of us await our turns at valve surgery.

I'm another owner of a "probable" bicuspid aortic valve, also stenotic. Mine, however, was never diagnosed until the discovery of a murmur during a routine physical when I was in my early 50's. I'm still waiting, remaining as physically active as a 58 year old with a heart condition can be (jogging 20 miles/week, 10:00/mile, etc.). I know my time is coming, but all the friends and family here have helped me to prepare, and I'm in a far better state of mind with their help.

Stay around a while. Ask all the questions that come to mind -- my own opinion is that there is more usable information here than we find in most doctors' offices. . . and the folks are simply wonderful!

tobagotwo said:
I agree you should reap well over twenty years from your new valve, when you receive it. Usually, when those valves need to be replaced, it's due to a change in the heart's condition, rather than a fault of the valve. The healthier your heart stays in other ways, the longer the valve should be able to stay in place.

Both ATS and On-X are making noise about alternative or reduced AntiCoagulation Treatment (ACT). St. Jude's strong suit is its long track record. It might be worth some time to check them out as thoroughly as possible. You can also search on this site from "Search" on the top bar. I find the "Advanced Search" option is most healpful.

Although you may well have already visited them, here are some manufacturer links to start:

http://www.atsmedical.com/Content/iropvalve.php

http://www.onxvalves.com/ValveInformation.asp

http://www.sjm.com/devices/device.aspx?name=SJM+Regent®+Valve&location=us&type=18

Glad to have you aboard.

Best wishes,

Those were my thoughts as well. The structural durability of mechanical valves does not appear to be the problem, but the tissue surrounding the valve and the condition of the heart are determining factors instead.

As far as the thromboresistance of the ATS and On-X valves is concerned, I'm cautiously optimistic but would not turn to an aspirin-only program myself: in Germany they have initiated an aspirin-only therapy, so things are progressing, though we probably need 10+ years of follow-up to be sure whether aspirin is enough to avoid valve thrombosis.

Take care.

epstns said:
Hello, Dustin, and welcome to The Waiting Room -- the virtual room in which many of us await our turns at valve surgery.

I'm another owner of a "probable" bicuspid aortic valve, also stenotic. Mine, however, was never diagnosed until the discovery of a murmur during a routine physical when I was in my early 50's. I'm still waiting, remaining as physically active as a 58 year old with a heart condition can be (jogging 20 miles/week, 10:00/mile, etc.). I know my time is coming, but all the friends and family here have helped me to prepare, and I'm in a far better state of mind with their help.

Stay around a while. Ask all the questions that come to mind -- my own opinion is that there is more usable information here than we find in most doctors' offices. . . and the folks are simply wonderful!

Hi epstns,

I must say that your valve issue has remained under the radar for a long time. I do not know the statistics in the US, but in Holland the registered number of babies born with aortic stenosis, assuming bicuspid for the moment, is approx. 1200 per year. Considering the fact that many stenosis patients can function perfectly up to relatively old age, I would expect this number to be a lot higher.

Take care.

Dustin. Welcome to this wonderful site. Good luck is on your side that you got a stern enough warning and paid attention to it!! I did not hear you mention that over the years you were wise enough to remember to take antibiotics prior to invasive procedures. Every trip to the dentist should be "covered" to prevent the dreaded endocarditis. Please do not continue to tempt fate by ignoring this necessity (if you have been). And, I think you'll hear from others.....get to a dentist regularly!

Glad you popped in to join us. Please come by regularly with questions and concerns. We truly learn from each other and everyone's input adds new dimension to the learning.

Happy Holidays to you, too!

:) Marguerite

Latest posts

Back