MRI required

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg

Earlier this year I was forced to find a new Cardio. The recommended one said I needed a brain MRI since I had never had one. He said sometimes BAV people had brain issues. He said I didn't have any of the symptoms, but needed it anyway. Later told me the MRI didn't show anything, so I guess that is good. I have not heard of this before. Has anyone else? Do you know what they were looking for?
Thanks.

Hi Greg . I just posted a similar thread in post surgery because of a study released on this issue in May 2010 at
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20439844
I have a bicuspid valve and had surgery in June on my aortic aneurysm. Next week Ill ask my doctor for a referral for an MRI just to be sure. In my case I have a little more reason to be concerned as my brother was treated for a cerebral aneurysm in Jan 2010.
I'm glad you found out you are in the clear.

Greg, I am a BAV guy, too, and back some 7-8 years ago my GP ordered a brain MRI for me because I was having from dizziness/unsteadiness. It turned out clear. Probable problem was inner-ear. Anyway, I enjoyed borrowing from something the old-time baseball pitcher Dizzy Dean once said, to the effect that they took an image of my brain and found nothing. :p I am glad yours was clear, too -- of any problem, that is. ;)

As for any possible connection between BAV and cerebral issues, I am clueless. Maybe someone will come along here who has better info. Cheers....

(I should have read Steve's post first -- I see he has linked to some important info on this subject.)

There is a fairly high correlation between congenital BAV and Connective Tissue Disorders.
Connective Tissue Disorders often result in Aortic Aneurysms and to a lesser degree, cerebral aneurysms.
That is probably why some Cardios want to see an Brain MRI or CT scan.

'AL Capshaw'

Just a quick note to let you all know that I had my MRI a couple of weeks ago just to make sure that I didnt have a cerebral aneurysm given my BAV? Got the results today. I'm in the clear. I only hope that when they do a bigger study on the relationship between BAVs and cerebral aneurysms they won't find a big correlation between the two so our BAV gang can avoid unnecessary MRIs.

This kind of concerns me.....my doctor didn't ask me anything about a family history of a cerebral aneurysm, which my sister had , at age 40. I am scheduled for surgery ( BAV/triple bypass ) next week, he mentioned an echo of my carotid artery , on the 15Th, as part of my pre-op ....but nothing about an MRI. Guess I need to add this to my list of last minute questions , when I let them know my valve choice on Friday.......
Think I need to find where I hid that last Hersey's chocolate bar with almonds.......and watch "Avatar".....
Renee

Last edited:
This kind of concerns me.....my doctor didn't ask me anything about a family history of a cerebral aneurysm, which my sister had , at age 40. I am scheduled for surgery ( BAV/triple bypass ) next week, he mentioned an echo of my carotid artery , on the 15Th, as part of my pre-op ....but nothing about an MRI. Guess I have need to add this to my list of last minute questions , when I let them know my valve choice on Friday.......
Think I need to find where I hide that last Hersey's chocolate bar with almonds.......and watch "Avatar".....
Renee

You might want to call and ask your cardiologist about this too, in case it would play any role in your valve choice. I personaly would call tomorrow so you have a little more time to think about it before you meet with the surgeon Friday. I know its only an extra day, but it could give you a little time to think about it and not have to make a snap decision.

I'm surprised they didn't ask if your family had any history of annuerysms.

My recollection of the study results is that 6% of the random BAV (or BAVR?) patients who were screened, had brain aneurysms that were detected by an MRI. On the one hand (if my recollection is right), that means that 94% tested "clean", i.e., it's not as if MOST BAV folks are at risk, or even a very large minority. (I don't know what % of brain aneurysms actually show up in an MRI.)

On the other hand, that 6% is much higher than the prevalence in a random sample of the population, which is why the study authors said that maybe we BAVers should all be tested.

BTW, after I had a very brief episode of neurological deficit a couple of days post-op (aphasia for <= 1 hour), I got a brain CT to check for detectable problems, and none were found.

I don't know if anybody's "done the math" on whether the benefits of routine screening would be enough to justify the risks or the effort (time, costs).

Among the many variables, it would be good to know
  1. If my 6% recollection is right, or not.
  2. The rate of false positives and false negatives in CT and MRI searches for brain aneurysms.
  3. What % of detected aneurysms can be successfully treated, and
  4. What that success rate looks like; and
  5. How many of the detectable aneurysms would cause problems if left untreated.

If those factors could be determined or reasonably well estimated, I think it would help determine whether we should all be tested or not.

So far, it's certainly not standard practice.

I sometimes get an 'exertional' headache or migraine following exercise so I was referred for MRI. The neurologist said there was a connection between BAV and brain anyeurisms. I was given the all clear - neuro said "you have a wonderful brain" - apparently my brain looks extra healthy, must be all the fish and fish oil I have :smile2:

Anne

I think there was a thread in the last 2 months with had a link to a BAV support group and that site had a story about a lady with BAV whose life was saved by her doctor who insisted that she have an MRI. They detected an aneurysm and she had surgery in which they put a permanent, miniature clamp over the problem artery.

My question is: could an aneurysm develop after having an MRI? How long would it take for one to develop where it could be detected before it burst?
John

I too had read about this study about the connection between BAV and cerebral aneurysm. I have had migraines for 20 years, so at my last appointment, I asked my neurologist and she said aboslutely not there is no connection there. ????? I really wish doctors could get on the same page.

this is a new one for discussion. I don't recall it ever showing up here in VR until now. All comments for future reference are needed. Anybody else have information or personal experience on this?

I left a message at Surgeon's office with his nurse on Thursday and again, on Friday....regarding this and my family history of brain aneurysm. Unfortunately, he is out of town till next week. I did discuss this with my youngest daughter's Neurologist ( whom I have known for 23 yrs, when he treated my oldest daughter for a stroke) on Thursday, at her appointment. He told me, he would not have surgery next week, without an MRI being done, so... hoping my surgery date does not have to be pushed back from my lucky St Paddy's day......
Renee

Renee, I'm sorry you found out about this so close to surgery and it may postpone surgery (hopefully it won't) But I'm glad you did find out and discussed it with your daughter's neurologist (I hope she is doing well) and can be checked. Maybe you could call your cardiologist and they can order the MRI, since you are having problems getting your surgeon to return your calls.

Here is a link to the other thread mentioned where this was discussed and it has a couple good links http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...ship-of-BAV-and-Cerebral-Aneurysms&highlight=
Hopefully things will clear, even tho I believe that 10% of the BAV patients had a cerebral anneuysm, compared to 1% of the general population, that still means 90% of the BAVs tested were fine. (and of the 10% many were smaller aneurysms you just had to watch -they didn't all need intervention.)

As for some of the questions, as far as I know just like any annie, they can start at any time, so If you were having screenings because you are in a higher risk group, they usually reccomend repeating them every 10 years.

I'm not sure what the over all success rate for coiled or clips are, and alot has to do with where the aneurysm is in your brain and how large it is, but usually IF you are able to have your annie coiled (by cath) the success rate is even better than if you need surgery and clips.
But if they are caught early, before symptons, even IF you need intervention the large majority do well with no problems- especially compared to people who have them get large enough to do some brain damage or compared to the terrible odds of surving a brain anuerysm rupture and large bleed.
More than half of the people who have a brain aneurysm rupture die in the hospital (IF they make it to the hospital) and of the people who do survive many have perm brain damage, since the blood has nowhere to go so presses on the brain tissue, before they are able to operate. Also out of the people who DO survive a ruptured brain aneurysm about 1/2 of them will end up with some perm brain damage

Also one of the things that increase the amount of blood hemmoraged so increases the morbitity and mortality of a rupture is anticoagulant, so I could see why it could make sense to have the screening before surgery and you make your final valve choice.

PS I would mention to your surgeon when you meet them how you're concerned that when you try to get ahold of him your phone calls aren't returned..you can even make it seem you are sure he isn't getting them because you KNOW if he was you're sure he would call back..ask how you can make sure he will get the message IF you need him post op.

Last edited:
Good point Lynlw, about the unreturned calls from the surgeon......and how to handle it. Thank you, I appreciate your input. I do not have a Cardiologist at present, Dr. Gregory is to refer me to one, in Fresno, after my surgery. I fired mine in December, when after him telling me, all my angiogram showed was 1 50% blocked proximal artery and alittle damage to my Aortic valve, but nothing we needed to worry about now, he could get my insurance approval for a stent in 2 days. ( He never even told me which artery or there are 2 different stents).... my own intuition, made me insist my insurance company allow me a second opinion....Dr Gregory looked at all my tests, examined me...looked at the DVD from the angiogram my cardiologist of 12 yrs had done, and told me the reason I had a heart murmur all my life, was a BAV ( no one had ever found it before), which now has severe stenosis and, not 1, but 3 proximal arteries, which are more than 75 % blocked. If Dr. Gregory is not back in town tomorrow....I will call my Family Practice Doctor, explain this to him, and ask if he will get my insurance to authorize an MRI before surgery Thursday.
It will probably be negative, but since learning all this ....,the fact that my sister had a brain aneurysm at 40 ( and a moderate heart attack during the emergency surgery) and my oldest daughter had a mild stroke at 19......I think I would feel safer going into surgery, if they do the MRI. I have fought hard to block the fear/anxiety, I feel about this up-coming surgery......this is not helping matters, as I have been unable to joke about it, a rare thing for me .... as humor is my major coping mechanism.
I appreciate so much the people on this site...their knowledge ,understanding and supportive caring.
I will pray, they authorize it faster than the almost 5 weeks it took them , to approve my second opinion with the Cardiothorasic surgeon :) I think a chocolate candy bar and watching Avatar will be a good thing for me today :)
Renee

Greg,

Greg, This is news to me, there has been no discussion of brain or other MRI tests from my heart practioning team. But unless any test is obstusive, why not?

I did curiously enough though have an MRI recently for a sports injury (shoulder separation). My concern about MRI was the heavy magnets and what that could do with any metal from the heart surgery. Was told that titanium products used in surgery were not magnetic and other than the MRI being the worse rock concert I have ever attended (smile), all went well

Gil

Well...............do not know if reading this thread was a good thing or a bad thing. I have had a surgery date of March 17Th since, Jan...I hand picked the day, I felt would be the luckiest. Have struggled hard, to maintain control of fears....like of a black & Decker saw , cutting my sternum in half....had finally resolved myself to the situation and was ready. Now.......due to me calling my surgeons office, looks like I may not make the 17Th, it will be pushed back, till MRI is done. I will know by the morning of the 16Th for sure.....but we are waiting on insurance approval for an MRI. This........so sucks !!!
Kinda wishing I had never opened my mouth now....and I now have my surgeon's nurse upset with me, for insisting she call my Doctor, and not just allow her to give me her generic responses. ( She is lucky I remained calm, civil and kind...and refrained from telling her what I really think ...."She is LAZY " ! )

Latest posts

Back