MRI/CT of the Aorta

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

marka

Hi all

I've had two echos done a year apart, my Aortic Root measured 3.7 on the first and recently 3.8. Should I be in a rush to get a MRI/CT of the Aorta? My Cardio is aware of the connective problems with BAV but suggested a MRI/CT at undetermined later date, I felt no urgency from the cardio.

I'm seeing another Cardio for a third opinion next week and will suggest this.

I hate this stuff, I wish I could actually trust the cardios.

Thanks
Mark

I don't see any reason for you to be in a rush. 38mm for the aortic root is above average, but certainly not life-threatening.

Furthermore, even if an echo isn't "accurate," they are usually "consistent." Since your measurement from one year to the next was "consistent" (only a small change from 37 mm to 38 mm) I don't think you need to be too worried. It doesn't seem to be enlarging at a rate that would cause worry. If the echo shows a steady increase in aortic root over the next few years or a "jump" from any one year to the next, a CT scan would probably be in order.

Best,

Brad

Thanks Brad.

I was just a bit concerend that the echo couldn't see the ascending aorta and it may be larger than the root, is this valid?

Thanks

Were they able to visualize the ascending aorta in past echos? If so, and there was no sign of enlargement I wouldn't be too worried. If there was previous enlargement of the ascending aorta I might be more worried. I am bit surprised they couldn't visualize the ascending aorta. Usually this isn't that difficult and if the technician has trouble, the cardio can usually come in and find it.

Either way, if you continue to worry about enlargement of the ascending aorta and a CT scan will put your mind at rest, I don't see any reason not to get it (assuming there are no financial issues). It won't hurt.

Brad

I should have said "if" it couldn't see the ascending aorta, I don't know if the echo can usually see it, they just quoted root dimensions. I'm seeing the cardio in two weeks and will ask them to check it.

Thanks

Hi Marka:

I think you are wise to ascertain the diameter of your ascending aorta since you have a BAV and known dilation of the root. You cannot assume your ascending aorta was visualized on your transthoracic echo. Mine never has been. Knowing your root dimension while it is of a size that is dilated but not a cause for concern presents the opportunity to monitor it (most likely and hopefully) over a long period of time. It is also an opportunity to identify any underlying blood pressure problems (labile hypertension is a hallmark of BAVD) and establish excellent control and, perhaps, arrest progression of the disease. You should get yourself a blood pressure cuff (if you don't have one already) and in the next two weeks take your BP when you are exercising, when you're upset, angry, etc. and see what your BP is doing, so you can go to your cardio appt. with data. http://www.csmc.edu/3893.html#1
You are lucky to have this info at 3.8cm--it gives you the opportunity to be proactive and perhaps avoid surgery altogether. Good luck!

Mri

Mri

If you have a bicupid valve problem you might want to insist on at least a CT with contrast of your ascending aorta. My root was "slightly enlarged" according to echo but my cath 4 days prior to surgery showed a 4.7 mm aneurysm......pretty big for a person of my size. Hind sight is golden, and I was told IF that fact had been known I would have had surgery about 5 months earlier. AND....no, an echo cannot be used to gauge the size of your ascending aorta. I asked why I never had that CT 5 months prior and still have not received the explanation. :)

I've tried to search the internet for the normal fluctation of BP but haven't come up with much.

My BP usually sits around 110 to 120/70ish, I've tested when I've been stressed and it jumped to 135/something, but I haven't seen this again.

What would be an acceptable fluction range from resting to exercising?

Thanks
Mark

re: your bp

re: your bp

Your bp fluctuation range seems quite normal. If you test your bp at different times during the day (8am, noon, 5 pm, 11pm, etc.), you'll see that it can vary during the day, and then have a different pattern the next day. the range you mentioned seems quite normal.

Latest posts

Back