Mitral valve replacement for 84 ear old womane

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Need info, is it a wise decision to have the surgery. What type of replacement is good?

Depends on the physical and mental health of the person and the support level they will have post surgery. It is a difficult surgery for the elderly. If you do a search on this forum you will find a number of stories of people that age having surgery. Generally the outcomes seem not to be that good. Both the success of surgery and the quality of post-operative life need to be considered.

I would think that some type of tissue valve would be the valve of choice.

I agree with dick0236 regarding the patient's physical and mental condition.

Couple of questions: How does she feel about it and what is her life expectancy without the surgery? Mine was about a year when I was diagnosed with severe aortic stenosis.

If it were my mom I would support her decision either way.

This sounds like just the type of situation that TAVR is intended for, and with that likelihood would mean a tissue valve and no need for Coumadin. Very easy recovery from what I understand

almost_hectic;n861587 said:
This sounds like just the type of situation that TAVR is intended for, and with that likelihood would mean a tissue valve and no need for Coumadin. Very easy recovery from what I understand

But TAVR is for aortic valve, and she needs to have her mitral valve replaced. As far as i know, there is not yet any approved (that is, not in experimental phase) mitral valve replacement procedure not requiring OHS.

Midpack;n861597 said:
But TAVR is for aortic valve, and she needs to have her mitral valve replaced. As far as i know, there is not yet any approved (that is, not in experimental phase) mitral valve replacement procedure not requiring OHS.

Oh , hadn't realized that

The first experimental TMVR (replaces the valve through blood vessels) was just done in the US this year. So she'd definitely be a very early adopter. Was done in Minnesota at Minneapolis Heart Institute where I go for care. If she has a very short life span or quality of life without surgery, and if she is unlikely to survive an open-heart surgery, she maybe could be a candidate for that experimental procedures but I'm guessing very few surgeons would try it. At her age a tissue valve via open heart surgery would be most likely - or just deciding to live with it.

IF she happens to have mitral stenosis (vs regurgitation) there IS a well-researched procedure similar to an angioplasty that uses a balloon to open a restricted mitral valve. That's what I had and I've gotten 12 years out of it so far. Just a couple days in the hospital and very little recovery. But I expect they would have mentioned that if it were a possibility for her. You have to have the right problem for that to be applicable.

Sorry she's going through this, hope the comments provide some help.

Latest posts

Back