Mitral valve replacement along with discretionary aortic valve replacementt

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I am new to this forum and will post this question as a guest as the registration process seems to have a glitch.
My cardiologist just informed me that my mitral valve needs to be replaced because of moderate stenosis. He also mentioned that as long as the surgeon is in there he would also replace the aortic valve which shows mild regurgitation` and partial calcification.
Based on what he told me it sounded like the mitral valve required surgery; whereas the aortic did not at this time.
I will be discussing this with several surgeons, but based on your experience, am I (unnecessarily?) increasing the risk factor by having a lengthier and perhaps more complicated surgery by having both valves replaced?

We do have some members who have both mitral and aortic valve prostheses, but I'm not one of them. My own (very humble) opinion is that if your surgeon and/or cardiologist feel that your aortic valve will sometime need replacement, it is probably better to only open your chest and your heart one time and to fix both valves in that one trip to the OR. It just seems to me that the risk of a second full operation would be greater than the risk of a more complex procedure the first time.

Just an opinion, though, and you know what those are worth. . .

Hello guest .. l am a 55 yr old female about six weeks will undergo both mitral and aortic valve replacement. Sever mv stenosis and moderate cusp of sever Aortic stenosis. 2.5 YRS Ago was diagnosed with rheumatic heart disease. At that time was moderate aortic and sever mitral. . Both with sever regurgitation complicated by interstitial lung disease. Can't wait any longer l am awaiting a call and told early Sept 15. They waited until my aortic valve was deed replaceable to avoid 2 OHS. They will be as far as l no at this moment mechanical valve replacement verses repair. I only want to do this one time only! I also have a blockage at 80 % that l am on a waiting list to see a neroulogist for that as it is above the heart so a different procedure. Hope that helps some or your concerns. I visit the site reg and am so very grateful for the experience and knowledge of its members although don't post often. However the closer l get to go time the more concerns and questions l have of my own.

I was able to have my mitral stenosis fixed via a balloon procedure, no surgery. I will need surgery to replace my mitral valve probably in the next 3 years or so (they can't fix the regurgitation I know have via balloon), and I do have some damage to the aortic valve too, so I wonder if they will suggest going for both at that time when they do have to crack me open.

In my case, with rheumatic heart disease, things just degenerate so I can definitely see doing 2 replacements at once rather than trying to get a bit more mileage out of the aortic valve before it calcifies. The risks of a 2nd open heart surgery would seem to be more than those of a single more complex one.

Was just going through some old posts here and thought l would update it as l am here.
I will be having OHS for 2 valves replacement mitral and aorta both in severe regurgitation & stenosis both Machanical replacements. Rheumatic heart disease. Surgery most likely over Christmas. I have my pre administration clinic Dec 8th/15 and was told to be ready anytime after that but most likely over the holiday if l was ok with that. I am so okay .. and ready to roll.

Latest posts

Back