Mechanical Valve Ideas

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau Johnson

I have a Bovine Aortic Sorin Mitroflow Tissue Valve right now and my Cardioligist says that when this valve goes depending on my age I can go with a Mechanical Valve, My question is, What brands are best to go with, and should I go with a Mech Valve :confused:.....Thank You !!!

Beau,

The short answer is that most brands are largely the same, and will perform well. As long as it is a bi-leaflet mechanical valve, made with pyrolytic carbon, it's good. Some of the major brands out there are St Jude, ATS, On-X and Carbo Medics. Most surgeons have some preference but the bottom line is there is no data that says one is vastly better than another. I have an On-X, and it claims to be better in a number of areas, but this has yet to be proven. St. Judes have been around for a long time and they have been proven to work for up to 30 years, I think. Some people think ATS valves are the quietest. Carbo Medics valves look really cool!

Do some research and decide what's best for you, then see what your surgeon is comfortable putting in. I think the skill of the surgeon is the most important factor in success. I chose On-X because I though some of the new features might be proven to be a benefit at some point. They also sent me a cool carbon ring.

Best wishes to you in your search!
-Steve

Welcome Beau,
Are you just being pro-active? How long have you had your bovine valve. Since I too have a bovine valve I would be curious to learn more about your history. There are several brands of mechanical valves out on the market, there are several threads regarding the pros and cons on this site if you query mechanical valves. I think there may be a sticky also. In any case, best of luck in your search for information.

hi beau, am i right in thinking your valve is 0ne year old? if it is hopefully you will get many many years out of it,wouldnt be looking yet at what type you might need, just enjoy your valve for the time being, saying that no harm in asking

What brands are best to go with, and should I go with a Mech Valve :confused:

Hello and welcome, Beau. How old are you now? That certainly could influence your second question. IF your current valve is still doing just fine, I would certainly echo Neil's point about not spending too much time worrying about what's next. Of course, at the same time, I am more than a little guilty of some casual "browsing" of the valve market for next time myself. I'm sort of taking a holistic approach, researching everything mechanical and tissue, not leaning in any direction, just observing for now. Hopefully your current valve is in good shape, which could possibly bring some good news for next time in that a few of the hypotheticals for the current valve market might actually be proven out. Of course, by then, there will likely be a new batch of valves with their own unproven promises. :rolleyes2: But such is progress.

In any case, it's pretty easy to both enjoy life and absorb background knowledge for your future valve "purchase", and as a starting point, this site is a great place to observe and learn from a very diverse group of fellow valve "customers".

Latest posts

Back