Me too!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first surgery was an emergency and I know I bumped someone but even as they came to wheel me down to surgery from CICU, my nurse told me to not be surprised if I got down there and was bumped by someone even more emergent than I was.

Thankfully that didn't happen but I remembered all that when scheduled for my second OHS. Oh No.... how would I handle it if I got bumped.

Huge Thank you that did not happen but I know it happened to my surgeon's patient who was scheduled for the day after me. There were no beds in CICU so he couldn't operate he told me that next morning.

It is so hard to have the date changed and I truly feel for you.

Thanks JKM7.....I just wish I could go home and tell them to call me when they are ready. I too wonder if I will actually get the 4/28 date. If the surgeon has been on vacation for two weeks...there may be lots of people who could bump me.......At the consult he told me he would go as far as June on my surgery...but any longer than that and he would worry about heart damage.....so I guess they would look at my case as "bump able" LOL!!

Jen, I was 2 months out when I went to Fla. I only went for 5 days to visit Mom. I did print out a med alert card saying I was on Coumadinand listed my othere meds. I did pre board which was nice. I was afraid of being elbowed by some one loading the overhead compartment.

Jenifer, I had all of my pre-testing done in May of last year and returned in July for my surgery. My husband, four children, 1 daughter in-law, 2 parents and 2 sisters all traveled to CC from North and South Carolina as this was my 2nd OHS. It was scheduled on a Friday, I had been in the hospital since Monday for anti-coagulation therapy because of having to come off coumadin (had a mechanical valve for 51/2 years. My surgery had to be bumped to Monday (another case was more critical than mine), my family had to leave on Tuesday because of work except for my husband and 1 sister. Unfortunately, that morning is when all of my complications started. I was in the CC for a total of five weeks. I had to stay in the intercontinental for a few days after release before they would finally let me go home. I had a wonderful brother -in-law that met me in front of the intercontinental with a diesel pusher motorhome with a great recliner to see me home. I had to go into the hospital within days of being home in South Carolina because of pleural effusions. It was a nightmare, I don't want to be a downer but, the chips will fall as they may. We can't control a lot when it comes to this issue but, you will be in a place where no stone was left unturned in the quest to save my life and I will always be grateful for that. Complications can happen to anyone, hopefully yours will go as smoothly as my first OHS did, less than a week in the hospital and a 12 week recovery. The waiting is very hard, it took me seven months to finally get to surgery after learning I was in trouble again. I do feel you are in the best place and if I have to have a 3rd (which is a good possibility) I know where I am going. Take care and I wish you an uneventful surgery and quick recovery.

Sorry that your surgery had to be postponed, and I know how frustrating it can be. My surgery was moved back two days and even that made me feel anxious. My mom said, "Don't worry about it. You waited 30 years for surgery, what's another couple days?"

Wishing you the best, though, as your date approaches.

Hugs,

Cancellations and postponements ................

Cancellations and postponements ................

are the worst part of the surgery. I'm glad they gave you a date. The end of April is not so far away either.
My pre-surgery tests (including TEE and Catheterization) were done in September/October, were not repeated and my surgery was late January. Hopefully yours won't have to be repeated either.
Best wishes for a successful surgery and a comfortable recovery in beautiful May.

Thanks you guys.....the encouragement never stops coming. I pray that I will be as helpful and supportive to others.

sorry to read about your surgery being bumped but at least the weather is improving ! Your going to get some decent Ohio spring weather in the next few weeks so try to take some pleasure in that. The fact that your in CC and have a kick a:)s surgeon lined up is great. Your in good hands.

Latest posts

Back