Life Expectancy after Valve Replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My doctor said if I didn't go through MVR I would be dead by the end of this year.He said now that you had MVR it will last at least 50 years.
I take one day at a time,I'm still 4 months out but I can now look to the future for once!

Seems pretty good to me:

"The mean age of the cohort was 75 (±5.6) years. Patients in the AVR alone group had a slightly higher median survival of 10.9 (95% CI 10.5 to 11.8) years than the AVR+CABG group which had a median survival of 9.6 (95% CI 8.7 to 10.1) years"

That means that on average the patients lived to the age of 85.9, nearly 86, which is probably the average age of most people who've not had AVR. The ones who had CABG too lived a year less which takes them to 85.6, so just over 85 1/2 - not bad considering they had atherosclosis.

In more detail from the study:

Median survival times in the AVR alone group across the age groups of ‘65–69’, ‘70–79’ and ‘80 or over’ were 15.1, 10.6 and 6.3 years, respectively. In the AVR+CABG group, median survival times for the same age groups were 12.5, 9.6 and 6.4 years, respectively.

So that means the ones who were younger at the time of surgery lived longer than the ones who were older which makes sense. So the 65 to 70 year olds lived an average of 15.1 years after surgery taking them up to 80 to 85.

Agian;n870769 said:
Dunno, but I hear more people with asthma die of asthma attacks than those without asthma.

Well I think we'll need some verification in that. I'd tend to agree with you but there appears to be a paucity of proper controlled studies on that topic.

Victoria sapientes vocat

pellicle;n870771 said:
Well I think we'll need some verification in that. I'd tend to agree with you but there appears to be a paucity of proper controlled studies on that topic.
You could have asthma that hasn't actually been diagnosed. You would then be non-asthmatic until you died of asthma... and then people would be like 'Damn, he had asthma.' Then again you could be a non-asthmatic who choked on a prawn.

Paleowoman;n870774 said:
Well this was life expectancy after valve replacement in Britain - might have something to do with the results ;-)
Correct, did they take into account the tea phenomenon? 'Give us a minute to finish my tea before you take me to hospital.' Drinking tea can delay life-saving interventions. This tends to occur only in British people.

The other thing I've noticed is there are more people on this thread who talk crap that are on Warfarin than those not on it. So there is a definite association between being on this thread, taking Warfarin and talking nonsense. I propose we do a pilot study to see if the findings are generalisable.

Superman;n870785 said:
All I know is that my valve has a lifetime guarantee! I sleep well with that knowledge.

Really? I work with too many weasel worders to be able to find any solace in that statement.

Back