left and right catherizations

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giro

When my cardiologist first told me that I needed surgery to replace valves he said that he will schedule a catherization soon. In seeing his written report he mentions that he will be doing a left and right catherization. Based on my limited research I have learned that a tube enters an artery for one and a vein for another. I assume this means that there are two separate entry points in the groin i.e.. an artery and a vein; It makes sense that there would be but I have seen nothing specifically confirming this. Is my assumption correct or does one tube somehow branch off at some point?
Thanks

giro-you are correct, there are two entry points…when I had mine done a couple of years ago, they used the radial artery in my right arm, and the carotid artery in my neck. The radial entry point is an easier recover than the more common femoral artery in your groin. The cardio doing the procedure will do what they think best…Mine was done as outpatient, I was home before dinner, and back at work after two days. Good luck.

Joe

Bear in mind that (I think) the entry point may be chosen to give the docs the best view of the parts of your heart that they need to see. When I had my cath done, it was in prep for aortic valve replacement. There was no discussion - the entry point was my femoral artery. I believe that some arteries and veins facilitate viewing different parts of your heart, so they choose what suits the need.

Latest posts

Back