Lancets, lancing settings for CoaguChek and InRatio

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protimenow

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I've been using a ProTime meter as my only meter for a while now. The test strips come with a lancing device - the Tenderlette.

I just got a CoaguChek S, and I'm trying to figure what size lancets make a big enough puncture to produce an adequate drop of blod -- what size, perhaps what lancing device, and what depth settings work best. I realize that this has something to do with the thickness of the skin, but I'm curious what others who test with CoaguChek or InRatio are using.

For now, it SEEMS as if a 21 gauge needle and the deepest setting may be the best for me. I wasn't sure about 26 gauge making a big enough puncture.

What's been YOUR experience?

We've discused this in the past. Lots of people use a 26, but I use a 21. 26 is too small to get a good drop.
And my setting is 4.5 on the lancing device.
I use InRatio

Being new to this site, I didn't see any discussions on the topic.

My skin is probably tough, like Olefin, so I'll use the 21.
R
(One concern -- it seems to be getting a bit more difficult to find 21 gauge lancets, because the largest part of the lancet market uses 30 or 33 gauge. I currently have plenty - enough for a few years of weekly testing - but I'm concerned that they'll be even harder to find 3, 4, 5 or more years from now. Have any of you run into problems finding 21 gauge?

I don't know what gauge my little needle thingies are, but I set the lancet at 3.5 and it works just fine. Are you a guy or a girlie?? That would make a difference.

Janie:
I use 21 gauge needles set at 5. And I'm a girlie. I just want that blood to spit out there and run that test ASAP!! In my next life, I want to be Lady Dracula. :)

Funny, when I tried doing the punctures with a lancing device and lancet, I barely felt a thing. The Tenderlette for ProTime seemed to make a broader cut, and each time I do a test with the ProTime, I FEEL the puncture. The almost complete lack of 'pain' I felt with the 21 gauge lancet was a welcome surprise -- and another reason, I guess, to consider a CoaguChek or InRatio.

If I had a choice of meters, I would take one that has internal controls, doesn't require much blood, and has strips that don't need refrigeration. (Sounds like a CoaguChek XS or InRatio 2, doesn't it?)

Hello there,
I've had the exact problem you describe and used to waste "S" strips all the time partly because of being nervous and doing things properly and the skin on my fingertips is dry and scaly in the winter.

So

during a previous topic posted a member named Hemosense (I think) referred me to
Owen Mumford Unistik 3 Dual, catalogue No. AT 1062, Gauge 18G (1.2 mm)
Depth: 1.8 mm.
Google for wwwowenmumford.com

I found their website and ordered a box and use them all winter.
Best of luck.

Thanks.

I haven't wasted many CoaguChek PT strips yet - I did some experimentation with various lancet sizes and depths. I've ordered some automatic lancing devices (they're called Bullseye) that claim to make an incision large enough to get 20-40 microliters of blood - more than enough for CoaguChek or InRatio. These haven't arrived yet. I don't know if they're going to be overkill or not.

When I test again, I'll try again with the 21 gauge.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

Softclix are made for blood sugar testing and are either 30 or 33 gauge. I don't think they mark the gauge on the box of Softclix because they're probably the finest (as in smallest, not necessarily best) available. Do these actually work for Prothrombin time testing? I got some in a bundle on eBay, and they didn't seem to make a big enough puncture (on my fingers, at least) to get a good sized blood drop.

Recently, Alere sent me a box of Unistik 3 lancets that are self-contained and resemble a childs toy "clicker". The box has the notation
"Normal for standart glucose testing". They are very easy to use and provide a good sample for my Coaguchek XS meter.

Where do y'all find the gauge of your needles? I get the soft-clicks by the box and just looked at a new box and there's no gauge size??

The gauge is on the pouch container of 12 that I receive from Alere Home Monitoring. Also different color, 23 ga is orange, I'm out of 21 ga but believe they are blue. They usually send me 23 ga, I've requested 21 ga several times, the next shipment will be 21 ga then they switch back to 23 ga. :eek2:
They once sent me a box of 50 Unistik 2 Extra. I like those best but they refuse to send me any more. They did have them for sale but I like the free stuff. :thumbup:

Where do y'all find the gauge of your needles? I get the soft-clicks by the box and just looked at a new box and there's no gauge size??

Look at the bottom of the box, bottom right hand corner (you may have to peel the bar code label back a bit). I have a blue dot that says 21G

Softclix are made for blood sugar testing and are either 30 or 33 gauge. I don't think they mark the gauge on the box of Softclix because they're probably the finest (as in smallest, not necessarily best) available. Do these actually work for Prothrombin time testing? I got some in a bundle on eBay, and they didn't seem to make a big enough puncture (on my fingers, at least) to get a good sized blood drop.

Softclix does mark the boxes (see above post)
IMPO CoaguChek Softclix Lancets are necessarily the best for my use.

Hi Janie
If needle depth and diameter are not printed on the outside of the box they are usually printed on the package insert.
Sandra
I bet it's hot in hill country right now.

Interesting....hmmmmm?

Interesting....hmmmmm?

OK girlies, I've checked the bottom right of the box and nada (nothing). It is imprinted with "100 lancets" and I checked the bar code and it's imprinted on the box, so no "lifting" required. Sandra - I even opened the box and there's no insert..!

They're the ACCU-CHEK Softclix mfg by Roche and they're white.. Maybe they're 'ghost' needles..:biggrin2:

Anyway, they have been working for me for over 10 years with no problems..:thumbup:

Yes, we're hot Sandra........100F today. I hope y'all are cool because we're coming up there soon..!

Latest posts

Back