Ladies - clothing question please

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can wear them as soon as you want as long as you can devise a way to get them on without raising your arms over your head. Be aware that surgical openings can seep for a week or two, and should not be bandaged, so some tees or camisoles are a useful first layer anyway. Also you may find buttoning openings irritate those sites for some time.

I started wearing pullover shirts while I was still in the hospital. I didn't have any problems and no one told me I could not were pullover shirts.

Debbie

Post-op instructions seem to vary, but you'll be given any restrictions as part of the discharge routine. Mine were to avoid raising elbows higher than shoulder height and avoid reaching behind my back for six weeks. The purpose is to avoid separation of the sternum until it heals.

I was very careful – so take what I say with a grain of salt….your body is different than mine and your results may vary. Plus you may have your medical care staff telling you something different from what mine told me.

I was told to not raise my arms over my head after surgery because that movement could possibly shift the sternum before it’s got a chance to heal in place. I was also told to not use my arms….. at all…. so I avoided all weight bearing activities such as getting in or out of bed or helping myself out of a chair.

So… the most comfortable clothing for me were the shirts that buttoned up in the front. I also found that I could easily get into “pull-over” shirts by stepping into them feet first and then pulling those up – but I had my surgery in the summer so my clothes were breezy and loose.

I don’t remember how long I did this but my advice – talk to your doctor they should know best.

Oh – bring very loose fitting clothing with you to the hospital to wear on your way home - you’ll be glad you did.

Yes, loose fitting tops, bottoms, couldn't be stressed enough. I wore button down tops for the longest time and didn't even attempt to put on a bra. Since I've always been small chested, that was a great advantage to me.

Learning to wash your hair and bathing on your own can be pretty challenging at first but slowly you can find ways to do it without causing yourself a lot of pain. I was showering and washing my hair before I left the hospital so it can be done.....just carefully!

My doctors cautioned me not to use my elbows, arms, getting out of bed or chairs. Doing so puts a lot of pressure and strain on your recently opened sternum, so you don't want to do that. I was shown how to rock myself or kind of roll out of bed while still in the hospital. I'm sure they'll go through this with you as soon as they get you up to walk.

As stated before, we all heal differently so listen to what your body is telling you. Wishing you the best of luck with your upcoming surgery. You'll be fine! :)

Last edited:
I wore t-shirts immediately, as soon as they moved me out of ICU I swapped to gym pants and big t-shirts and refused to consider one of those hospital gowns again! I was told no sustained lifting of my arms over my head, and no weight bearing on my arms (i.e. using arms to help me get in and out of bed) but your sternum is held together rather well with wires, putting on a t-shirt isn't going to cause any damage - just be slow and careful!

I wore the same sweater home from the hospital post op that I wore when I came in and it pulled over my head. I had no difficulty. I pulled the hole over my head and then tucked my arms into the sleeves.

Thanks everyone again ! This is much reasuring - I will practice from now on putting on tops without raising my arms above my head !

At home I sleep on a futon on the floor so they will have to show me how to get up off the floor without using my arms - I am practicing 'getting up' from the waist so that I am in a sitting position and then tucking my knees under, don't know if that's the way to get up from the floor. If there's a problem I suppose I'll have to sleep on the sofa ?

Just practice now - I found that wiggling on my bum got me into a decent position from where I could stand up just using my legs. But if you're starting from the floor that will be challenging (can you put it on YouTube please heheh)! Can you get down to your futon without using your arms?

Can you get down to your futon without using your arms?
Yes - I get down on my knees, then turnover onto my bum, so I'm in a sitting upright position, then lower my back gently from the waist - not sure if that makes sense ? (can't put it on Youtube !) I will need to make sure my waist and lower back muscles keep strong.

Wiggling ON my bum pellicle, not wiggling my bum! Geez the forum has degenerated . . . (sorry paleogirl!)
I appreciated pellicle's joke - not to worry ski girl :D

Last edited:
I was able to wear a t-shirt within a week or so, I wore one home from the hospital. Getting my arms up to put it on was no problem for me.

Not a girl, but I can relate in some ways. My biggest trouble with t-shirts was taking them off. I usually do the "cross arms in front and grab opposite sides of the bottom and pull directly up" removal technique. That was just too uncomfortable to do right after surgery.

Hi everyone! I'm going under in two weeks, and I just bought myself some super comfy button-up pyjamas from Peter Alexander. Trying to work out whether I should get a bra that does up at the front.... I'm hoping to graduate to loose t-shirts by the end of my hospital stay. I think anything with a wide neckline should be ok? Will you have someone to help you in your initial days at home?

Will you have someone to help you in your initial days at home?
My husband will be at home to help me and to do all the cooking etc. I'm scheduled for surgery at the beginning of January, found out yesterday, so I'm in a mad rush to get things organised. I'm not buying a bra - I hate wearing them, so I'll stick with loose clothing and layers - it's winter here. Best of luck with your surgery !

Latest posts

Back