Kryptonite Bone Cement for Sternum Closure-no Acrylates!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivetopless

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I saw wheret LuckyGuy17 was the first patient to use Kryptonite at his hospital and he seems to be doing well.

Some of you may recall my past posts about acrylate exposure during surgery (I have a severe allergy to anything with acrylates- methyl methacrylate and PMMA especially). I got in touch with the local Kryptonite distributor and am happy to report Kryptonite is unique and does NOT contain acrylates!

In fact, in the literature I received, Kryptonite is favorable compared in performance to PMMA (poly methyl methacrylate) based adhesives. So, if your surgery involves a sternotomy, it is worth asking for it. I have the brochure on this comparison, so if you'd like me to forward it send me a PM.

Kryptonite use for sternotomies is a newish concept. There is a pilot study going on called "STICK" (STernal Innovative Closure with Kryptonite) to confirm its effectiveness.

http://kempton.wordpress.com/2009/11/13/kryptonite-bone-glue/

Drivetopless, (here i go again on the vision), love your username

hear, hear, yes thank you for additional writings on KG, yep Kryptonite glue seems to have worked for me and it does not hurt for the pre op group, to ask the surgeon if he is aware, if he is willing and what his thoughts might be on this relatively new procedure. It is my understanding that it is used with the conventional wire, yet to be confirmed in my case?

My surgeon was slighlty aware, actually expressed relief, at my request (he needed patient request to proceed is how he put it), he met with the manufacturing rep, got educated and used it for me, really did not think i needed it as his stat was that only about 5% of patients really had major discomfort from sternum closure.....his main interest (his win), as expressed to me, was in gaining experience of Kryptonite as an alternative for talons, which he stated was sometimes complicated for certain patients.

So based on my experience so far, am glad he was open to trying, as torso for me has been solid from day 1, the only flinches i have had are, likely flesh healing, sutures, on the multi layers of heart, sac and whatever else they reconnect internally. Have not yet had debrief with surgeon for his impressions, but a young surgeon (surgical student i assume) did drop by at my bed a few days later and did express some initial panic/concern that they had, seems that if they had to go back in ...a special saw would have been required to do so and a special saw and blade were above my bed in ICU, with a big sign that said keep this closeby, if re op required.
Thankfully for me, immediate re op was not required, but have to wonder if some in the medical/surgical community will be concerned with a possible tougher time with sternum re-opening....this could be the one downfall/compromise, unless the young surgeon simply told me too much.

Suggestion for pre ops, ask your surgeon, if it could work for you

DT, an alternative method of closing the sternum was used in my AVR. Sternal Talons are a set of 3 titanium clamps that secure the sternum and allow no movement after they are in place. You can read more at:

http://www.rapidsternalclosure.com/

My experience with them was very positive. Immediately after surgery I had no pain from the sternum. I was stiff, bloated and sore like everyone else but I had no problem getting in and out of bed, walking, coughing or sneezing. For you these might be a consideration since Talons don't require any adhesives.

I am now 8 months post op so the swelling has all receded including most of the bump at the top of the sternum. When I lay back with a pillow under my lower spine, I can just feel two of the talons but there are no sharp edges and no sensation of discomfort.

Larry

Sternal Talons or Kryptonite . . .either way what a cool choice to make! The local Kryptonite rep says is it not yet FDA for sternal closure in the US. Doctors can use it off label, though. Not sure if insurance would cover it.

I asked to get the Kryptonite but was denied as I did not meet the criteria the Hospital set for its use.
Didn't have much pain after surgery but I am still sore , swollen and clicking 10 weeks later.
Wish I had it.

Don't tell Superbob. :eek2:

Ross, that's exactly what I was thinking! If this catches on we'll have a lot of members that won't be able to meet up with Superbob for a reunion! :eek2:

Out of curiosity, anyone know why that name was chosen?

I asked to get the Kryptonite but was denied as I did not meet the criteria the Hospital set for its use.
Didn't have much pain after surgery but I am still sore , swollen and clicking 10 weeks later.
Wish I had it.

Very curious, if you don't mind.
What was the criteria set by the hospital?

Ross, that's exactly what I was thinking! If this catches on we'll have a lot of members that won't be able to meet up with Superbob for a reunion! :eek2:

Out of curiosity, anyone know why that name was chosen?

Probably best to simply ask him.

Wish I had it.

Have it and am very glad for it.

Feel very lucky that my surgeon was curious enough about Kryptonite and gaining experience on me as his 1st test case, for his other possible cases and patients, where the sternum closure could be complicated and difficult. Surgeon pre op did not think i needed it and indicated that only about 5% of his patients had issue with the bone healing aspect...but i would believe his consideration of a normal healing as spanning many months....many members have noted twinges in this forum several months out and my cardiologist has given me these stats for normal non glue closure and bone healing: 75% healed at 3 months, 100% bone healed at 6 months, as the norm they use.
Am suspicious that Kryptonite adds to the surgery time and surgical effort and therefore, "many surgeons may prefer to use only when required and for their convenience".
My win with Kryptonite, was immediate solidity on bones and therefore in recovery I was only dealing with tissue healing.
In my case, I had only about a month of actual healing process, which may well be one half or one third normal time to pain free, from OHS.

If I require a 2nd surgery as there is a possibility with my expected 8-20 year aortic bio valve, am hoping that Kryptonite can be used then as well.
Am a believer in Kryptonite and encourage upcoming surgery patients to ask their surgeon if they would be willing to consider the glue process.

Gil

I really want Kryptonite or Sternal Talons because it seems like I would be able to return to my normal job activities sooner with less worry. I want to be able to haul my luggage around the airport and lift it over my head as soon as possible (3 months?). I have creepy visions of lifting my carryon over my head while twisting and my sternum cracking open 'cause I wasn't fully healed with those dinky little wires. Reinforcement just seems like a good idea. I also hear those wires can break and have to be surgically removed.

I really want Kryptonite or Sternal Talons because it seems like I would be able to return to my normal job activities sooner with less worry. I want to be able to haul my luggage around the airport and lift it over my head as soon as possible (3 months?). I have creepy visions of lifting my carryon over my head while twisting and my sternum cracking open 'cause I wasn't fully healed with those dinky little wires. Reinforcement just seems like a good idea. I also hear those wires can break and have to be surgically removed.

Am approaching 2 months and have been lifting objects above my head with no issue for weeks already. Lifting a 30 lb carry on bag to an overhead, would not be an issue.
Did a one week car trip in my 4th week post op, lugging 40 lb luggage in and out of car and up and down stairs was not a problem ....did some overhead cherry picking too, while on that trip.:thumbup:

It seems to me sternal talons and Kryptonite would be the real cats meow, but just maybe overkill. :biggrin2:

Although I have a similar work programme, am holding off for a few weeks more, not because of concern for physical, but am more concerned by the stress and requirement for high energy focus in delivering the best message.

I'm a little confused the FDA letter says it is a methyl- methacrylate http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/pdf9/K091382.pdf

Trade Name: Kryptonite Bone CementTM
Manufacturer: Doctors Research Group, Inc.
574 Heritage Road, Suite 202
Southbury, CT 06488
Telephone: (800) 371 - 2535
Fax: (203) 262 - 9340
Classification: 21 CFR §882.5300
Classification Name: Methyl methacrylate for cranioplasty
Class: I1
Product Code: GXP

Latest posts

Back