Johnny fall down go boom

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Stephens

Well I had a good birthday earlier this week, but the couple of days since are not among my fondest memories.

Thursday morning here was cold and icy. I was entering my building at work after having gone to get a cup of coffee, and slipped on the ice. I went down on my butt HARD - it happened so fast I didn't even have a chance to recover. It knocked the wind out of me and stunned me a bit. :eek: I was a true Seattle trooper, though, I didn't drop my laptop or spill my coffee :cool:

Over the course of the morning, the pain got better, and I seemed to be pretty much OK. I called my wife and let her know what had happened, and she asked me out for lunch :) (I think she wanted to see that I really was OK). We were walking up to the restaraunt, and I slipped AGAIN. This time, I don't even remember hitting the ground.

I woke up with my wife screaming in my ear "Johnny! Don't move!" and noticed that I was laying in the mud next to the sidewalk with my face in the grass. I asked her "did I black out?" I was very confused for several seconds and couldn't piece together where I was or what was going on. I wasn't going to lay there in the mud, so I got up anyway - to my wife's dismay. She told me I was out for about 30 seconds, my eyes were rolled back in my head and I was gasping for air. Oh, and by the way, the paramedics are on the way.

Sirens wailing and lights flashing, the paramedics arrived and checked me out. They found nothing wrong with me except for the fact that my heartbeat felt irregular the first time they checked it. BP, pupils, all the signs pointed to being "alert and oriented," with no signs of stroke. They didn't want to transport me to the hospital, but I had to commit to getting immediate attention from my doctor.

I am absolutely positive I didn't hit my head in either fall.

We saw my doctor about 90 min later, and during a rushed appointment he found nothing wrong but still wants to check me out. He ordered blood work which has since come back normal, except for showing that I was dehydrated. Potassium, electrolytes normal. Walked out with appointments for more tests and a prescription for Tylenol 3/Codeine. Slept very poorly that night, as my back was k i l l i n g me.

Yesterday I had an ultrasound of my carotid arteries, since he heard "bruits" (even though I've had them since before my valve surgery). My dad has 2 dacron grafts there, so there's family history of blocked carotids. The technician told us they looked good with no blockages (yay).

I also had a CT scan of my noggin, but don't know what that shows - will probably hear from my doc on Tuesday. Not worried about it as I don't have any neurological symptoms.

Monday I go in for an EEG. Unless that or the CT scan show something, I'm thinking we may never really know what caused all this. My money's on the dehydration, but who knows. I guess the question is, were the falls the cause or the result? My wife says I seemed to be steady on my feet before the 2nd fall.

I'll let you know once I hear something, but for right now, I'm just nursing a very stiff back.

Sorry this came out so long -

Johnny,
So sorry to hear about your misfortune. I hope everything turns out to be fine. My only thought on this is, if you were "out" for 30 seconds, SOMETHING caused it. Either you got dizzy which caused your falls and caused you to pass out during the second fall or you hit your head after you fell the second time which is why you were out.
Either way, the tests on your "noggin" were definitely in order.
I hope, for your sake, that you hit your head and just had a brief knockout. I will say a prayer that that is what happened and you will be just fine.
In the meantime - STAY OFF THE ICE.
Smiles, :)
Gina

Well, my goodness, Johnny. Glad to know that all has checked out well. You must have knocked your breath out again the second time if you were gasping for breath. I am sure that your doctors will stay on top of it and follow up all that needs be. Take care. Blessins

Johnny, not the best way to celebrate your birthday week. Let's hope the ice came before the falls and that your test show that.

Wow, what a series of problems. There is nothing more scary than when another person witnesses someone whose eye have rolled back in their head after a fall. I've seen that too many times. Absoutely petrifying. And Joe did end up with some injuries. He fell several times without any warning.

I am so glad that your doctor is pursuing the cause. There has to be a reason. For Joe, it was an irregular heartbeat that caused bradycardia. He got a pacemaker that stopped that nonesense.

For walking on ice, look into some YakTrax. They're wonderful and are easy to slip on over your shoes, and just as easy to take off. They give wonderful traction on ice. I use them every morning while walking the dog when the sun has not yet come up, and I can't see where the ice is.

Take good care, Johnny!

Hmm, doesn't sound like I can blame this one on the klutz ray from outer space. :confused: :D

Let me know what happens. Not too sure I like the fact that your eyeballs rolled back. Sounds more like a seizure.

Hey Johnny...

Hey Johnny...

I have heard that mud baths are supposed to be very theraputic...but...not the way you took one.... :p :D But seriously, I am very sorry to hear that you have taken these 2 slip and falls as you can really never know what may happen, and I am glad to hear that your alright. As for the irregular heartbeat, I have that myself, and let me tell you it really can get annoying, especially when the doctor tells you that you have an irregular heartbeat, but then tells you....Your fine...nothing's wrong....RIGHT AFTER HE TELLS YOU THAT YOU HAVE THE IRREGULAR HEARTBEAT...Go figure....

Anyway, I hope you get to feeling better. Take Care Harrybaby666 :D :D :D

Ross said:
Hmm, doesn't sound like I can blame this one on the klutz ray from outer space.

The KLUTZ RAY FROM OUTER SPACE??? ROFLMAO!!!!!! Ross, one of these days you are really gonna crack me up to the point of my dying of laughter!!!! That, or I am gonna have to start wearing "Depends"...LOL LOL You are just too funny!!!!! Keep it up will ya? God needs a good laugh himself!!!! :D :D :D Harrybaby666 :D :D :cool: :cool: :D :D

Ok, Johnny...You win! But, don't do that again! Hope everything turns out for the best!

Johnny

Make SURE you let us know how you're doing this week. I'll be thinking of you and praying it was nothing.

Evelyn

Dang, Johnny! I bet there are some sore bruises by now. Last time I slipped and fell down, I realized how long it had been since I'd done so. I'd forgotten how much it hurts. Glad to hear no concussion.

You don't always have to actually hit your head during a fall to shake your brain violently enough to cause a brief, semiconscious or unconscious state. Since you did it twice in fairly rapid succession, you may have been set up by the first one, and reacted to the second one.

This seems a reasonable explanation, especially since you vividly recall actually slipping both times. There's a difference between slipping on ice, and just dropping like a stone for no reason. So, if the doctors find no better answer, feel free to use this one. ;)

Sorry you have to go through all those tests. They can be such a pain.

Best wishes,

Hope the head is feeling OK Johnny.... and let's also hope you ARE a super klutz and there's nothing more sinister going on (or that they find it if there is).

Best wishes,
Anna : )

Johnny,

Keep an eye on things. I've banged myself up good a few times now, and the Coumadin bruise shows up a day or two later. I'd go for some extra strength Tylenol and a heating pad for the back, and just take it easy.

Glad to hear you're doing OK.

Johnny, my goodness take care of yourself. I bet it scared your wife to death. You will be in that prayers that all the tests show that nothing is wrong.

Hey Bruiser!

Hey Bruiser!

Johnny,

Better let your wife check your butt for a big ol' bruise in a couple of days!? :)

Chicagoland is expecting a big ice storm tonight and tomorrow so after reading about your misshap, I plan to be extra careful. Winter sucks!

Take it easy, will ya, Johnny?

Cheers!

I remember I fell last year when I was looking at the sky. I passed out and hit the back of my head on a rock, which went to the skull. I ended up getting one staple, and my chin had a HUGE bruise. My husband took me to the hospital, and the next day, of course the coumadin bruise showed up, and he said, "Dang, baby, you look like a battered wife!" I did too, and a lot of people asked me if I was. I always told them no. Well, take it easy, Johnny, use the heating pad on your tushy and take some tylenol for the rest of the pains. We're expecting more ice too, so BE CAREFUL!

Latest posts

Back