I've arranged to talk to my surgeon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debrinha GT

Hello everybody, I've had so many questions ever since I joined this site that I've decided to make an appointment with my surgeon. Whenever I go to the cardio and ask him things, he doesn't really give me straight answers which ends up resulting in frustration. Here, we usually go to see a sugeon just before the operation, but I've worked up the courage and phoned mine without telling my cardio about it. There's so much I want to know regarding my next surgery and since he was the one who did my last one, I assume he's the right person to go after even though I feel a little scared of what he might say. I'm going to take my last three echo results as well as other exams and hope he won't beat about the bush. I'll obviously have to write down a list of questions so that I don't forget, and if you have any suggestions, I'd be more than happy to hear them. I've arranged to see Dr. Costa a week from Friday so, I'll have a lot of time to prepare my questions for the big day. Thanks for reading,

Débora

Good idea, Debora. He might be able to clarify some things for you and let you know how he is sizing things up. That did take some courage and I am very proud of you!

Good for you Debora !

You may want to start your meeting by telling him you are concerned about your condition and want to know where you stand BEFORE it becomes critical so that you can make an "informed decision" about how to proceed. Hopefully this will cause him to 'get real' and not give you a dismissive 'sugar coated' story and a pat on the back.

My doc's have commented favorably when I hand them a typed 'list of concerns' which they can place in my file. By separating and numbering each question, the doctor at least sees my concern and most of the time I get an answer. Sometimes that answer is "I don't know", but at least he has become aware of the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Best wishes,

'AL'

butterflies in my stomach

butterflies in my stomach

Thank you Betty and Al for your replies. That's true, just one of the things you feel you can no longer procrastinate, no matter what it takes. Although I have those annoying butterflies in my stomach, I know I've made the right decision and you never know, it might not be as bad as I fear. I know what you mean Al, an introduction like that always makes things a bit easier and should get the surgeon to be more objective in his answers if he sees that I'm knowledgeable. I'm well aware that they don't like long winded questions, but how can I make them brief without missing out anything? Hope you can help me there too for I don't want to sound that boring patient who doctors dread seeing.

Débora

Well Debora, I have found that doctors need to be quite self-confident to function in the positions they hold. I find by asking questions that requires their "opinion" seem to get more complete answers. A question such as "In your opinion, what should we be watching for to alert us that the time for another OHS is getting closer?" Try making a list like Al suggested and try answering the questions yourself to see if they logically lead you to the information you want to find out.

Let us know how it goes, OK?

good for you

good for you

I had an appt.. will tell you later how it went..my inr is 1.0.... again....

I guess that has to make you very nervous, Debora. Still, you're a brave soul, and you'll get that information you want. You still have a week to make up your list.

Best wishes,

Every little helps.

Every little helps.

Thanks for your concern and suggestions. I'll begin by saying that I don't want any surprises this time, I mean, last time it was horrible because one minute I had tickets to go to Scotland and the next, there I was, having an operation 5 days before Christmas 1995. Anyway,I know doctors are used to talking to patients who know next to nothing about hearts and valves, but that's no longer my case. I'll probably have more questions to ask than he'll have the time to answer so, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to leave some there so that he can get back to me later? Or do I run the risk of not hearing from him? Also, I've always thought that the echocardiogram was a really accurate exam, but by what I've been reading here lately, it seems it doesn't give you very precise answers as to the real situation of a replaced valve(in my case, the mitral). I only got the TEE done when the doctor wanted to make sure that it was really time for my last surgery, but what about now? My last echo result which was done at the end of July showed that it was opening to 2.68cm2, tricuspid valve, normal opening with mild regurgitation and sistolic pressure in the pulmonary artery was wstimated at 30mmhg. In this case, should I require a more detailed type of exam? Which one can give the doctor a clearer picture of the real situation? Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks.

Débora

Regarding ECHO test results, I made a chart, listing each parameter vertically with dates on the horizontal axis. Seeing how the numbers changed or stayed the same made it quite obvious what was going on and caught a couple of obvious erroneous readings.

Such a chart would be good to take with you, or at least a copy of ALL of your ECHO results.

'AL'

I'll do that

I'll do that

:confused: Thanks again Al, I'll be taking my last three echo results, some EKGs, stress test from a while back and a few blood test results too. I've also talked to my husband and he'll be going with me, just in case. I'm trying to prepare myself for whatever he might tell me, but I must say, I no longer feel as anxious as I thought I would by now as time gets closer. I have a lot of questions, but I'm going to list them in order of priority so that if we run out of time, I can at least get the answers to those.

Débora :confused:

Wish you luck.

Wish you luck.

Deborah,,,, its always hard.... wishing the very best results..love yaps

Deborah, my prayers will go with you. Good luck with your appointment. It's always a good idea to have someone else with you, they might hear something that you don't.

Very encouraging!

Very encouraging!

Hello again, last time I had to go and see the cardio back in July I really felt as if you were all there with me. At first I was a bit nervous sitting in the waiting room, but when I finally got called in, I began to relax and by the time he'd finished doing the echo, I was quite calm. I know that just seeing my surgeon agin WILL bring back some pretty bad memories, but what puts my mind at ease though, is the fact that I was the one who has arranged for this appointment, I mean, I think that if the time for the surgery had come, my cardio would have been the one to tell me to go there just like he did last time. It's now been 2 months since I did that last echo and I'm well aware that my condition could have worsened by now. Is there a chance that things might have got really bad over these past few weeks? Here are the results and any additional comments on that would be appreciated. Thank you again.

FEBRUARY14th, 03 Biological prosthesis with satisfactory cusps, sufficient and competent opening ,Maximum GRAD =16mmhg; medium grad med=08mmhg; valvular area (doppler)=4.09cm2. Enlarged Left Atrium.

JANUARY29th, 04 Biological prosthesis with slightly thickened cusps, sufficient and competent opening, max GRAD 14mmhg; Medium GRAD =08mmhg; valvular area (Doppler)= 2.99cm2. Enlarged left atrium

JULY22nd 2004, biological prosthesis with slightly thickened cusps, sufficient and competent opening, maximum GRAD = 14mmhg;Medium GRAD =7mmhg; valvular area (Doppler) = 2.68cm2. Increased left atrium.
Tricuspid valve, normal opening with mild regurgitation.
Sistolic pressure in the pulmonary artery estimated at 30mmh
:confused:

Latest posts

Back