Is this not messed up??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mileena46

OK, some of you may remember when I came on here complaining that my doctor had started charging $60 if my INR was out of range....and only $10 in range. The reason being that you would then have to pay for an office call, because you HAD to see the doctor. I paid this twice...even though the last time I paid the nurses told me what to do just like always and I never once SAW the doctor.

I started using the clinic about 3 weeks ago and have had my INR checked twice...once at 3.4 and again at 3.6. It cost me $8.00 each visit, even though 3.6 was out of range. I wanted the clinic to do the INR and this doctor handle my other medical needs. I went to him today, and he asked why I hadn't gotten my INR checked and I told him because of his prices I was now having to use the clinic.

He flat out told me if thats what I wanted to do, then he thought it was a good idea....BUT that I should let the clinic handle ALL of my needs and wouldn't even write my prescripes, even though I had just handed his nurse a $50 check for an office visit.

Am I being too sensitive? This kind of hurt my feelings, not to mention that I felt he was uncaring and childish! What the hell is wrong with doctors these days?? I started to put a "stop payment" on the damn check!!

Mileena

Yes, it is messed up. But I would have to say good riddance to a Dr. like that anyway. If he can't understand that you are paying for these things out of pocket and that that might be a strain on you financially and be willing to work with you, he's not a very good Dr. in my opinion. It was stupid in the first place that they charged you a different amount for being in range and being out of range. I would have asked how much they get reimbursed from insurance and that's what I would be willing to pay. I know when I had to take coumadin, the couple of times my cardio took my inr he charged $50 and I think my insurance paid less than $10.

Two words--Fire Him! He's not looking out for your interests, he's looking at his own financial interests. You hired him, he works for you. If an employee is dead weight, you fire them.

You hire the doctor, you can fire the doctor. You don't need to be treated this way. Amazing, isn't it - you would think by now that the medical profession would realize that patients should be in control and that they should be working for the patient - not the other way around. With all the changes coming in medical care they will have to be able to compete!

I would have only two words for him as I walked out of his office. F... and Y...

Then I would write as much nasty stuff as I could online at medical review sites. He needs to leave the medical field before he kills someone.

Changing Doctors

Changing Doctors

I doubt that there's any shortage of doctors who'd enjoy working with you as their patient. Shop around and see if you can find one who is more focused upon you and your needs. I suspect there's one out there who won't mind you using the coumadin clinic.

Just smile and walk away from the one you're unhappy with. There's a certain degree of satisfaction in knowing that you'll not be supporting him financially any more.

-Philip

My advice is fire that doctor and, while making yourself as knowledgable as possible, get your regular cardio exams where you can afford. I have been unemployed for many months now and wonder what will happen to me when my COBRA wears out. You have to fight for any health care in this country if your circumstances mean you do not have any health insurance!

My dentists have turned into money-grubbers in recent years. They used to have a certificate posted in the waiting room that said they had been voted some of the best dentists in the DC area by a consumer magazine. Then they changed it to a sketch of the huge dental building they planned to build (funded, I guessed, by the increase in useless procedures and fees). I finally told them that I prefered it when they had the good-dentist-certificate rather than the we-are-building-an-expensive-building picture. They looked displeased, but they did remove the picture. (I think they will never get the best-dentist award again.) Yeah, we all need to look out for our financial needs, but, well, we ALL must look out for our financial needs, even we long-suffering consumers!

Thx everyone for the replies. I actually started wondering if I might just be over reacting! He was very nice when he basically told me not to come back (in so many words). Remember this is a very small rural Alabama town with a limited number of doctors. He is one of the older ones who probably should be retired by now. He claims to be the best "blood" doctor in town, but seeing the docs in this town, that really isn't saying much.

Al, I am using the primary health clinic here. The fees are on a sliding scale. I can get all my meds there for $5 @ 3 months supply. I havent done this yet, but I am looking into it. The office visit is $23.00 and I only have to see the doctor every 3 months unless something is wrong.

I think I will be much better off, I just hate it that this doctor had to be such an ass.

Mileena

I wouldn't be in a hurry to fire the doctor. He views the coumadin prescription and the INR tests as connected -- is there a liability question involved? Does he feel that if he prescribes coumadin, then he must also monitor its use? If he won't write other prescriptions, that's something else again.
I had a shock a few years ago when I couldn't find a doctor to write my coumadin prescription. Now the nurse who manages the coumadin clinic signs my prescriptions. I'm not sure she has the authority to do that, but it works, and I get my taste little rat poison pills, so it's fine by me.

Jim.

I think that was EXACTLY his issue. If he wrote the prescription, he also wanted to do the testing. I understand that. However, I wanted to be able to "keep" him as a doctor for my own peace of mind....and let the clinic handle the coumadin only. He basically told me....to have them handle all of my medical needs. The clinic does have a doctor at times and at times a nurse practioner. I really don't blame him for not wanted to keep me in coumadin, but I DO blame him for the way he did it. I was dismissed. Do you know the feeling?

Mileena

It still amazes me how insecure some doctors can be. At first my cardio was 'managing' my warfarin, poorly too. Then I had a visit with my PCP - he said that's ridiculous and sent me to an anti-coag clinic. They coordinated the Rx with him. Then I got my own machine (well, Phillips lease - crappy insurance company) and self-dose. I tell him what I need and he gets it done. He does make me see him every six months... not for the warfarin but for the BP Rx.

When I broke my elbow & wrist last December he made out like a bandit, though. Had to coordinate the lowering of my INR, etc. to get ready for surgery.

Mind Games

Mind Games

An ass is an ass regardless of whether or not he is warm and nice when he plays mind games with you to get you to do what he wants. Hopefully, you realize that his comment about the folks at the coumadin clinic handling all of your health care needs was simply intended to manipulate you into having testing done at his office.

If libility was an issue, I doubt any doctors in this country would provide perscriptions for those of us who home test. If this particular doctor (ass) is confused or concerned about potential libility issues that could result from providing perscriptions for someone who does testing somewhere else, he probably needs to retire.

I guess if you're happy being over-charged for INR tests by an ass who smiles warmly while he plays mind games with you, you don't really need to look for a new doctor.

-Philip

He definitely IS NOT looking out for your best interest! You need to find a Dr. more caring, concerning his patients. His beside manner bites!

I think that even a good person can have a bad moment. Maybe that's what happened here with your doctor?

It reminds me a bit of my experience here. I have a local family doctor that our family really likes but he sometimes has to cut to the chase because of low reimbursements from various insurance. Maybe your doctor's issue is somewhat similar? My insurance made some big change recently and now my doctor's office won't even do any blood draws for them because of how low the negotiated rate is. It's a big inconvenience for me but I still really like the doctor. I also had a problem during the few post-op months I was on ACT because of who was going to manage my INR and who was going to do the draws. I didn't realize it caused a hiccup with the insurance reimbursement, between my local doctor and my distant cardio.

Latest posts

Back