Interesting Letter from QAS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njean

Premium Level
Supporting Member
I just received a letter from QAS informing me that they had partnered with Tapestry for all my anticoagulation needs. I will continue to call QAS to give them the results everytime I test but I will have to contact Tapestry for supplies. This of course, was not news because I had already read earlier posts from Janie & Dick concerning the merger of companies.

However, one thing I find odd in the letter it states, & I quote:
"there are other providers other than Tapestry who offer these services BUT if you decide to go with another provider, we (QAS) would have to collect your meter!!" :eek: Ah.... excuse me..... but my insurance paid for my meter so I don't think this is right of QAS! And, it doesn't say they would BUY my meter back from me!

Am I wrong here, anyone??? :confused:

That's highway robbery ..............

That's highway robbery ..............

You bought and paid for your monitor and they think they have the right to take it back:eek: How come? Are you allowed to keep your hands at your sides while so doing?;)
It sounds to me they sent a one-size-fits all letter to every customer.
I remember receiving a letter from my optomitrist sending me a letter demanding return of my "borrowed" contact lenses. It seems they forget who they gave the "loaners" to and this was their way of finding out.

It sounds to me they sent a one-size-fits all letter to every customer.

Norma,
Lance is probably right. I received the same, or similar, letter, but in my case QAS does own the meter. I am in a program with my Medicare Advantage Plan where I pay 20% of each test(about $6)which includes all supplies and the use of their meter in my home. I have been told that my Medicare Advantage Plan does not permit the purchase of the machine....only the rental. Apparently, some insurance plans permit the purchase of the machine and others only permit the use of the machine. You may want to verify, with your insurer, that they did buy the machine and keep the purchase record in your file, in the event you need proof of ownership.

Not bought, just loaned

Not bought, just loaned

My dear, Norm:

Al and I have had much difficulty with obtaining monitoring for both of us.

In the 2001's, there was only one...yep, just one source..that being QAS. In 2001 and some years later, they were great. At that time Medicare did not cover home testing. Finally, Medicare dragged it self from the dark ages and decided to cover at home testing.

There was a time when QAS and Raytell were the only two companies who were approved to provide this service.

Throughout all of this, we decided to get the rubber band off the bank roll and and purchase our first monitor, the ProTime Microgoagulation System, from QAS. Woody, of QAS was so helpful and we were happy with our decision. When we needed cuvettes and lancets, they always arrived quickly.

Then, when we were both Medicare age, we decided to get the new, super, duper monitor, the INRatio. Medicare approved the purchase, but when we saw their stipulations, we decided that we did wanted to lessen the stress and purchas our own monitor outright. We own our INRatio. We paid for it from our own funds. We do not report to anyone. We buy our own strips, (about $6.00 each).

We had very big concerns when we saw that people were getting INR-monitors and leasing them. I don't know when this began, but I do know that it has caused some concern for some people. At one time, I thought I might change monitors. But, when I read the materials provided, I saw that I was, in effect renting the monitor. That is what I see happening with Medicare.

It worries me because people think they own their monitors, when in fact, they really do rent them....That is why QAS and other vendors can say, that if you don't follow their directions your must return the monitor. Why? Because it is NOT your monitor anymore...and you must deal with the dealers that the dealers say you must....THis is not ownership, this is.......

The bottom line, Norm, is that, indeed, you do not own your monitor...you rent it. Your insurance did not purchase it for you...it just rented it. From my position, I think that is very sad.

Blanche

Well, thank God that I'm the type of person that saves receipts & every piece of important documentation because "you never know when it's going to come in handy."

I started looking thru my records & files & found the introduction packet & all the documentation that QAS sent me when I bought my INratio2 monitior. In the paperwork was the receipt which shows $1698.00 charged to my Mastercard as payment for the meter! When I got this receipt from QAS, I filled out an insurance form to BCBS of IL & sent it along with the receipt for payment to me for the meter. A few weeks later, I received a reimbursement check for the meter!

So, the meter is all MINE, MINE, MINE without any questions!!! :) Oh, and I do plan to call QAS & if they wish, I will fax them a copy of my receipts, etc.!

All I can say, is save all your receipts, paperwork, reports, etc., because "you never know when you're gonna need them!" :p

I'm sure it's a one size fits all letter. There is a lot of change going on at QAS and just for the sake of saving time, this is probably the only letter they typed up and left it up to the user to determine if it applies to them or not. If you do NOT own your machine, there will be a plate on the bottom of the meter stating "Property of Quality Assured Services" You can't miss it.

I just want to let everyone know I'm looking into this from my side to see what "truth" there is behind this regarding returns and the exact stipulations. As soon as I get an answer I will try to forward it on, this is complete news to me and I know if this letter is going out to everyone we will be getting calls shortly regarding it.

I am holding on the phone as we speak to talk to one of the reps. See what they have to say.....

Hummmm......just got a message saying they are closed at the present time..... :rolleyes:

If you do NOT own your machine, there will be a plate on the bottom of the meter stating "Property of Quality Assured Services" You can't miss it.

Thanks Ross. I had never looked on the backside of my machine. There is also an 800 number to reorder supplies.

I have a question for those who have purchased their machine. Several months ago, when I started self-testing, I weighed the advantage of "buying or renting" the machine. I chose to "rent" for the following reasons.

1. My insurance pays 80%($25+) and I pay 20%($6) per test.This $6 includes the use of the machine, strips and lancets. QAS even provides bandaids and alcohol swabs.

2. Since I do not own the machine, if it malfunctions or fails, QAS will replace it at no cost to me. I assume that if a significant meter advancement is made, I will be sent an advanced meter:confused:.

3. Should home testing become a "non-covered" medical expense, which is unlikely, I will return the meter and get my testing at my PCP.

4. If I screw up a test, the cost of that strip is -0- to me.

5. When I have needed strips, I call QAS and receive two container of 6 within a few days.

6. I did not have to come up with $1600 to buy machine or a few hundred dollas to buy strips etc and then seek reimbursement.

I have done this for about 7 months and have not seen a downside so far. Am I missing something?

Incidently, I have been advised by QAS that due to my insurance plan (Medicare Advantage), I will continue to be serviced by QAS and not Tapestry.

Prior to being on Medicare Dick, I never had to call in my INR results to anyone! And I have never had any complaints whatsoever about QAS & the quality of service they have provided. They have been excellent & continue to be to date. Whenever I've ordered supplies, within 3 business days I have them on my front door. And when sending in to my insurance for reimbursement, that too has never been a problem. And now that I'm on Medicare, I've yet to see a bill for any charges.....so I'm NOT complaining! :D

I am not voicing a complaint against QAS at all. Just curiosity concerning the "one size fits all letter" that I received. And I have a feeling this is all it is. Hopefully I can get through to this 800 number & get an answer.

Mystery solved!

Mystery solved!

Mystery Solved!

I just got through & spoke to a QAS rep & she said that if I had bought the meter out of my own pocket, then this paragraph did NOT apply to me & to disregard. The letters that went out this way applied ONLY to those patients who lease or rent their machines.

You were right Ross....as always...."one size fits all letter!" :)

I have a question for those who have purchased their machine. Several months ago, when I started self-testing, I weighed the advantage of "buying or renting" the machine. I chose to "rent" for the following reasons.

1. My insurance pays 80%($25+) and I pay 20%($6) per test.This $6 includes the use of the machine, strips and lancets. QAS even provides bandaids and alcohol swabs.

2. Since I do not own the machine, if it malfunctions or fails, QAS will replace it at no cost to me. I assume that if a significant meter advancement is made, I will be sent an advanced meter:confused:.

3. Should home testing become a "non-covered" medical expense, which is unlikely, I will return the meter and get my testing at my PCP.

4. If I screw up a test, the cost of that strip is -0- to me.

5. When I have needed strips, I call QAS and receive two container of 6 within a few days.

6. I did not have to come up with $1600 to buy machine or a few hundred dollas to buy strips etc and then seek reimbursement.

I have done this for about 7 months and have not seen a downside so far. Am I missing something?

Incidently, I have been advised by QAS that due to my insurance plan (Medicare Advantage), I will continue to be serviced by QAS and not Tapestry.

If it works for you, that's great.

I didn't want to rent a monitor because:

1. We went through that for at least one, maybe two CPAP machines for my husband. The first vendor went out of network, and the machine had to be returned.
Insurance would NOT purchase the machine outright because they weren't certain it would be a long-term DME expenditure. Finally, it said it would purchase the machine, and John coughed up his co-pay.
I didn't want to go through this with an INR monitor.

2. I prefer the autonomy of not having to report INRs to some third party that in turn contacts my PCP's office and the chance that a nitwit at my PCP's office would freak out. Last week my INR was 3.9; I didn't change my dosage. My results have been very stable for several months, so I decided to wait until my next test. Someone else might have set me on a roller-coaster ride.

3. I get my test strips for about $5.50 each. I buy Band-Aids and gauze pads in bulk through a friend who is a safety director for a large company. (Love those boxes of 100 Band-Aids!)

When you let a vendor & insurance handle all, there can be billing problems. And I did have those with one company -- a lot of problems.

In a nutshell: Do what you're comfortable with and what works for you. Someday I may change and get a rental unit because that may work out best for me at that stage in my life.

This is very interesting. I've just started the process for getting a machine, and I'll be sure to insist that it be a purchase. I hope they give me a choice!

Billing! What a headache! I went to my clinic for my monthly test. The hospital charged me $73.18 for the test, and made me pay the entire thing. They got payed 28.18 and then said I payed $45 copay. I called the insurance company, and they billed as an outpatient procedure instead of a lab. If they billed it as a lab, I would have payed 10%, or $7.32. Now I have to call the hospital. What a cluster!

Well done! I agree with you.

Well done! I agree with you.

Marsha:
I was about to post about the current discussion on monitors--to buy or to rent. Thank you very much for saying what is in my mind and heart.

Purchasing the monitor works for us too. Different strokes for different folks.

Thank you for sharing your ideas with us. You hit our nail right on the head. At our ages, what I perceive to be convenience weighs very heavily in our decisions. And, I will say that having two of us using the monitor did enter in the decision to buy our second monitor, the INRatio...but not by a whole lot.

Again, thanks,

Blanche

This is very interesting. I've just started the process for getting a machine, and I'll be sure to insist that it be a purchase. I hope they give me a choice!

Billing! What a headache! I went to my clinic for my monthly test. The hospital charged me $73.18 for the test, and made me pay the entire thing. They got payed 28.18 and then said I payed $45 copay. I called the insurance company, and they billed as an outpatient procedure instead of a lab. If they billed it as a lab, I would have payed 10%, or $7.32. Now I have to call the hospital. What a cluster!

I'm going through almost the same darn thing with my Oxygen supplier. I really want to print up some invoices and start charging them for MY TIME to correct THEIR billing errors. They keep charging me 20% of the billed amount and I'm supposed to be paying 20% of the Medicare allowed amount. Big difference in what they bill and what they get paid.

They keep charging me 20% of the billed amount and I'm supposed to be paying 20% of the Medicare allowed amount. Big difference in what they bill and what they get paid.

Yep Ross, that is an old provider trick:rolleyes:, and you'd be surprised at the people who will pay the additional amount without question. I always pay only AFTER I receive the EOB. That tells me what I really owe if the provider is "in network" or "out network".

....and thanks to those who have shared their experience about "owning or renting".

I prefer to rent the monitor. Actually, it's the same as owning it except if something goes wrong with it - it belongs to them, not me. I pay nothing to rent the machine and I suspect I'll get the latest and greatest when a new machine comes out. They automatically send out strips. I never call.

QAS sent the letter out with a new form for me to add/correct and send it on to Tapestry. I noticed there's a website on there, so have a look at http://coagnow.com/patient/ as it explains a few things.

Guess I'm just a lucky duck since I pay zero for supplies, zero co-pays, blah, blah, blah..:D WooHoo Medicare Advantage...and WooHoo my cardiologist's nurse practitioner...!!

I'm on Medicare and could care less that I don't 'own' the monitor. I use it just like it was mine and will as long as I'm able to use it. If it breaks they replace it for free. Test strips and supplies are all free. I wouldn't have any use for a monitor if I wasn't going to be using it.

The only requirement from Medicare is that I call the automated number to report my INR. That takes about a minute or so.

I've had GREAT service from Tapestry. QAS sent me a form to fill out, I filled it out, faxed it to Tapestry... in a few days received a shipment of test strips and needles. I wasn't needing any but they must wanted to be sure I had plenty.

Back