I'm sure this has been done before...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't told about coumadin til after the surgery either. I would still choose a mechanical and I have been a real cry baby about coumadin in the past. Maybe I've grown up a bit but I've learned it's not that bad. I truly believe it's better than another operation.... yes I know it can fail also, but I went with the odds. Just my personel feelings. We are all different. Good luck.

Tabitha,

I just had a St Jude Mechanical installed last week. Also aortic root replacement. I was told that alot of the choice has to do with: your age; the condition of your heart; and your habits. I am 39 yrs old. 6'0 185lbs. Play golf, move furniture, hike etc.. Because my heart was at 8cm and I am young and active, my surgeon really didn't offer a choice. He said straight up that the St Jude Mechanical was the only way to go. He wasn't pushy about it but I couldn't help but feel like I was buying a used Honda Civic. Ultimately for me, it ended up being the best decision I ever made. It's a little noisy especially during that quiet time when you lie in bed but I consider it to be the "sound of life". Most importantly I feel as though I could run 10 miles and not worry about blowing the thing sky high out of my chest. It's a pretty bullet proof piece of equipment. I dreaded the thought of taking that rat poison they call Coumadin, but it really is a breeze and I haven't had one problem. Good luck to you and be well.

I had a mechanical put in 8 weeks ago. I chose it because I have already had 3 surgeries and don't like them. Given an opportunity to avoid a big one in the future, I took it.

Warfarin is no problem to me. I have a St. Jude which has a recommended INR range of 2-3, but 2-2.5 is what is optimum per my doctors. I also have hemrhoids and have had about 3 since the surgery. They healed quickly (1 day) with over the counter medication and were no worse than before warfarin. I also eat a lot of greens in this spring season, lettuce, asparagus, bok choy, spinach, etc. I am not worried, my surgeon and cardiologist said that for my type of valve (St. Jude) if I go a little less than 2, it's not a problem. For me, the biggest negative with warfarin is having to spend the 1 hour for the blood test ever week or so, but I am going the home testing route soon.

Dear Tabitha,

Your choice of what valve to choose is entirely your decision.

But I totally agree with what 'superman' said at the end of his reply: " Just know that neither choice is a guarantee. Tissue doesn't guarantee no warfarin, and mechanical doesn't guarantee against repeat surgery. It took until my second OHS after knowing about my condition my entire life having one OHS already, to finally come to terms with the notion that this isn't something that is just fixed and goes away. No matter what route you choose, you'll always have to be just a little bit more aware of your cardiac health than your peers.

Whatever you decide, don't let the fear of having to be on anticoagulants for the rest of your life be the reason you decide NOT to go mechanical. I've been on coumadin for 37 years and it's never gotten in the way of anything!

Best of luck to you! :)

One note: However, if you are of childbearing age and have to be on anticoagulants, this might bring on higher risks of you become pregnant. Not that some women have not gone on to have babies with mechanical valves, but you will have to be very careful if this is the route you chose.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back