I'm Back-CCRN

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCRN

hensylee said:
a bit late, but I will wish you, anyway: GODSPEED!

I guess God isn't ready for me yet. I ended up in the ER the day before my surgery. I had shortness of breath, nausea, and stabbing chest pain. I was evaluated by Chest CT with contrast to make sure everything was okay. I was given some medication to ease my anxiety.

My ascending aortic aneurysm was about 4.5 cm and my aortic valve was more unicuspid than bicuspid. The valve also had a nice sized clot hanging on it. The surgeon had to place me on circulatory arrest to comlete the procedure. It was repaired with a SJM conduit. I'm still comming to grips with it all, Thanks for all the wonderful posts

Welcome back to this side! Now didn't I tell you it would be tough, but you'd be fine? ;) Let me know when your well enough to pick on and make laugh. Don't wanna inflict pain before your ready! You know I wanna hear your story when your up to it.

Welcome back. A little last minute drama that you didn't need, but all is well now. Let the healing continue and may it be uneventful. Congratulations!

Had some last minute drama, eh? Glad to hear you came through it all and are well enough to post. I am sure you are exhausted but be sure and update us when you have some strength back.

Take care.

Congrats

Congrats

Sounds like you had quite a trip! But you're on the other side now and what could be better. I wish you a good recovery. I'm a nurse too and I agree it's both a blessing and a curse when it comes to our own health. (I'm still in the waiting room for AVR) But it's mostly a blessing. Be well. Keep us posted. Barbara

Just hadda wait one more day, huh?

Isn't it amazing how it all dovetailed together? You went right down to the wire with that one. Good thing you were in the right palce with the right people and they already had a good idea of the general situation. Very glad to see you back posting - and clicking.

Best wishes,

Good to see your post and we wish you a great and uneventful recovery. :)

Advice

Advice

pgruskin said:
Good to see your post and we wish you a great and uneventful recovery. :)

Thanks for all the well wishes. I had a pain med issue that took 3 hours to resolve and left me crying my eyes out in front of family and peers. Amazingly, less than 20 mins after a dilaudid injection I was up walking the floor and using my inspirometer. The next day my surgeon changed me to the same med to by mouth. I informed my nurse I had issues with my pain the evening before and she gave my first dose as asked but the second was held up by pharmacy due to an inequivalent unit dosage between the injectable and the tabs. Took an hour or so and the nursing supervisor investigated the problem. Found out it was the surgeon's fault as he did not write an order that could be filled by the pharmacy. :) Didn't do a lot for my confidence in receiving pain relief. They were also curious as to why I wasn't going to cardiac rehab. Seems my surgeon also forgot to order that, Ha! I'm still in awe of the fact that I'm alive and wondering why. I'm also angry all this has happened to me. Don't get me wrong. I am thankful.

See the Blade

See the Blade

brd said:
Sounds like you had quite a trip! But you're on the other side now and what could be better. I wish you a good recovery. I'm a nurse too and I agree it's both a blessing and a curse when it comes to our own health. (I'm still in the waiting room for AVR) But it's mostly a blessing. Be well. Keep us posted. Barbara

I hope you've already had a cardiothoracic surgeon's consult. My cardiologist is a great guy.....like him a lot....but he also thought I could wait till the first of August to get a second echo and after the results of the Jan. echo my surgeon suggested another in May which indicated surgical need. My cardiologist suggested I wait until after I enjoy the 4th of July holiday to have the surgery. I decided I would enjoy the holiday much more with a nice scar down my sternum. If I had followed only my cardio's advice I most probably would be either severly disabled or dead before the summer was over. Hindsite is golden and here's my advice: When you have something that can only be corrected by a surgeon, get a surgical consult as soon as you can.

I myself had some last minute adventures during my surgery and hospital stay last week, so I empathize! But you're over the mountain now, and I pray that your downward journey is more peaceful and sure-footed.

CCRN said:
Thanks for all the well wishes. I had a pain med issue that took 3 hours to resolve and left me crying my eyes out in front of family and peers. Amazingly, less than 20 mins after a dilaudid injection I was up walking the floor and using my inspirometer. The next day my surgeon changed me to the same med to by mouth. I informed my nurse I had issues with my pain the evening before and she gave my first dose as asked but the second was held up by pharmacy due to an inequivalent unit dosage between the injectable and the tabs. Took an hour or so and the nursing supervisor investigated the problem. Found out it was the surgeon's fault as he did not write an order that could be filled by the pharmacy. :) Didn't do a lot for my confidence in receiving pain relief. They were also curious as to why I wasn't going to cardiac rehab. Seems my surgeon also forgot to order that, Ha! I'm still in awe of the fact that I'm alive and wondering why. I'm also angry all this has happened to me. Don't get me wrong. I am thankful.
Sweety this is one of the things we meant by being on the receiving end. Now you understand why patients are sometimes a little beligerent with nurses and such. They go through it almost constantly and really, there is no excuse for it.

I'm just so happy to see you posting so soon. I was a complete basket case for months afterwards. ;)

CCRN said:
I'm still in awe of the fact that I'm alive and wondering why. I'm also angry all this has happened to me. Don't get me wrong. I am thankful.

Ah...the roller coaster of up'n'down emotions, otherwise known as "As The Emotions Turn" ;).

I, as I'm sure many others, can whole-heartedly (pun intended) relate to this phenomenon. You are not alone.

I can vividly remember the times I've felt "angry" that I've had to deal with heart issues all my life; yet, I can also vividly remember the times that I've been "thankful" that medicine and surgeries have kept me alive this long to be able to do what I want/like to do. As for the "why"s, well, we may never know...heh.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 31swm/pig valve/pacemaker
'72,6,9/'81,7.hobbies.chdQB = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
MC Guide = http://www.chevyasylum.com/mcspotter/main.html
"I'm just out to find the better part of me" ... 5 For Fighting ... 'Superman'

knightfan2691 said:
Ah...the roller coaster of up'n'down emotions, otherwise known as "As The Emotions Turn" ;).

I, as I'm sure many others, can whole-heartedly (pun intended) relate to this phenomenon. You are not alone.

I can vividly remember the times I've felt "angry" that I've had to deal with heart issues all my life; yet, I can also vividly remember the times that I've been "thankful" that medicine and surgeries have kept me alive this long to be able to do what I want/like to do. As for the "why"s, well, we may never know...heh.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 31swm/pig valve/pacemaker
'72,6,9/'81,7.hobbies.chdQB = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
MC Guide = http://www.chevyasylum.com/mcspotter/main.html
"I'm just out to find the better part of me" ... 5 For Fighting ... 'Superman'

Once again, the blessing of this forum reveals itself to me. (Not that I wasn't aware of this benefit, perhaps the sleeplessness has just made it rear up and smack me upside the head LOL).
While I'm glad I got my new valve, I'vd had about enough of this not feeling good. My head says I should feel better than before the surgery (I don't, not even close) but my body says "ain't happening yet". And I know I have to focus on the YET part of that sentence. Yesterday we went to the mall and walked--great for me to get out for something other than a doctors appointment. It's been too hot to walk much outdoors, I feel like I'm walking in a sauna. I'm stressed because I know I'm supposed to go back to work in 3 weeks, and I'm afraid I won't be able to.
Thank goodness this valve "family" is here to offer that ear to listen and shoulder to cry on. And the folks who are articulate enough to help the stubborn ones like me realize that "this too shall pass" and I WILL get through this. And appreciate the trials that we ALL have gone through, some worse than others.
CCRN, I think it's alot harder being a nurse (or in the medical profession for that matter) because we set our hurdles higher, not just for ourselves but for those who care for us. We know the standards of care but also know when someone has tripped up and forgotten something, be it a nurse or MD. I got aggravated when I was in the first time because the cardiology and surgical teams were telling me something different about when I could be discharged. Supposedly cardiology was in charge but surgery ended up "winning" in the end. I really didn't care as long as someone made the call.

Keep getting better!

Keep getting better!

Congratulations, CCRN! Sorry for all your personal drama, but I'll bet your professional training helped you weather the bumps in the road. Kind of interesting to hear about some of the surgeon's foibles since they usually come through in this forum as god-like heroes. I suspect the more important part was what went on while he was inside you!! Sounds like he knew what to do in there!! :D

Like so many who've been through this, the relief and unspoken bravery evident in the postings do reverberate in the minds of those of us who are waiting. Thanks for posting!

Good luck with the rest of your recovery!

Marguerite

perkicar said:
Once again, the blessing of this forum reveals itself to me. (Not that I wasn't aware of this benefit, perhaps the sleeplessness has just made it rear up and smack me upside the head LOL).

LOL! What an image that gives!

I, too, can remember how bitter I felt when I was stumbling through the post-surgery complications 2 years ago. I hated the idea that I had to be on Coumadin ... I hated the fact that I was told that complications are to be expected when I hadn't had any such complications after my 1st 2 surgeries. I hated the fact that some of my friends had decided that whatever I was going through was too much for them to even fathom. I hated knowing that doctors appointments and follow-ups and tests and such would/will always take vacation days away from me.

And, yet. Well, it's friends like Derek and Janie who gave me an offer/invitation I couldn't refuse Saturday afternoon to be able to join them and others at the Monte Carlo Nationals in Decatur IL. True, I wasn't there for the show, but I made it down to connect with old friends ... and meet new ones.

Life is demanding, funny, ironic and interesting ... all at the same time.

Some way, some how ... you just gotta stay positive. Heh....spose I should take a piece of my own advice/insight right about now...lol.

Irony rocks ;).

God Syndrome

God Syndrome

Marguerite53 said:
Congratulations, CCRN! Sorry for all your personal drama, but I'll bet your professional training helped you weather the bumps in the road. Kind of interesting to hear about some of the surgeon's foibles since they usually come through in this forum as god-like heroes. I suspect the more important part was what went on while he was inside you!! Sounds like he knew what to do in there!! :D

Like so many who've been through this, the relief and unspoken bravery evident in the postings do reverberate in the minds of those of us who are waiting. Thanks for posting!

Good luck with the rest of your recovery!

Marguerite

Yes, I have been told my surgeon is proud of himself........but I know he could never have done the job by himself and I believe deep down inside he knows it. I DO know he asked to make sure certain members of his regular team members would be there with him. My professional training helped insure my understanding of my care which made my anxiety level go to the top of Mount Everest. It also made me feel very ambivalent when I had to be a regular BIT__ to get my needs met. I have always been a big advocate of pain relief. I have argued with medical staff to the extent of being reprimanded over pain relief and my patients have always rewarded me with hugs for my efforts. My surgeon was just an instrument used by God so I may recover and continue to raise HE-double toothpicks so that future patients will not experience my drama. :)

The Grand Poo Bah

The Grand Poo Bah

CCRN said:
Yes, I have been told my surgeon is proud of himself........but I know he could never have done the job by himself and I believe deep down inside he knows it. I DO know he asked to make sure certain members of his regular team members would be there with him. My professional training helped insure my understanding of my care which made my anxiety level go to the top of Mount Everest. It also made me feel very ambivalent when I had to be a regular BIT__ to get my needs met. I have always been a big advocate of pain relief. I have argued with medical staff to the extent of being reprimanded over pain relief and my patients have always rewarded me with hugs for my efforts. My surgeon was just an instrument used by God so I may recover and continue to raise HE-double toothpicks so that future patients will not experience my drama. :)
LOL, that reminded me of something funny we heard while in the hospital. As they say, it's a small world--and a cardiologist that took care of my mom in the mid-90's in Dayton OH is now in practice at CCF. We ran in to him while we were out walking the halls, re-introduced myself. (He wasn't my mom's primary cardio but I liked him MUCH better than her attending, who I found to be rather condescending with our family). Of course, he asked why I was there--told him of my AVR earlier in the week. He asked who'd done it, and when I said "Bruce Lytle" he grinned and said "Oh, you had the Grand PooBah for your surgeon" LOL. I told him we just called him "Bruce Almighty" (after the Jim Carrey movie.) Like you, CCRN, I knew I was #1 in God's hands and that #2, He was guiding Dr Lytle and had given him his technical gifts as a surgeon. And as a nurse, it is harder when you know what needs to be happening and it isn't. Especially with pain control.

Latest posts

Back