I set the alarm off at the airport today!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sue943

For only the second time my 'hardware' has set off the security beeper in airport security. The first time was when it was very new and as I have flown a number of times since without setting off the alarm it came as a bit of a shock this morning.

As I was being 'manually' checked, ok frisked, I mentioned to the woman performing the search that I have mechanical valves and sternum wires. Then I had to remove my shoes for them to be scanned then they let me through.

Perhaps the metal detector at Manchester is just very sensitive and that nothing has changed with my scrap metal. :)

Are you sure it wasn't your bra? I've always been told that our valves and wires won't do it, and I've certainly been through many metal detectors, but who knows?

Every time I go thru Charlotte, NC, I set off the detectors. Have yet to do it anywhere else, but haven't been thru too many. I just got close to the unit in Charlotte and it went off. after explaining the mechanical valves and "trashbag" type ties am closed up with, the young TSA officer did a pat down search. Several years ago, with the hand wand, even my Sheriff's Office Star (badge) in my shirt pocket set it off. Boy, is that thing sensitive. Good luck in your future travels!

Sue:

I did that once -- while hand-carrying a cat through the walk-through security deal.

Not sure why I triggered the alarm, but I was more concerned than anything else that my cat would get away.
But luckily Persian cats' brains aren't able to think that fast, much less move that fast.

Security agents let me put the cat in his carrier before they dealt with me, but they did have to hand-wand the cat. :)

Well, there is the possibility that you had hidden a weapon in the cat's fur or between the folds of its face!

Are you sure it wasn't your bra? I've always been told that our valves and wires won't do it, and I've certainly been through many metal detectors, but who knows?

I don't wear underwired bras; I haven't since one caused me to get phlebo-thrombosis many years ago which lead to me having to have investigations for possible breast cancer. The wire pressed against a blood vessel and squashed it against a bone. Not something you want to experience and the surgeon I saw who diagnosed Mondor's Disease told me not to wear wired bras again.

I had no clothing with metal, my trousers have an elasticated waist; I was wearing a t-shirt and a sweatshirt; my shoes were slip-ons. My watch has never set one off either.

Pacemakers are a hassle in metal detectors. Not only can they trigger the alarm, but more importantly the magnetic scanners can reprogramme some older not very well shielded models. :eek:

Outward bound I flash my European Pacemaker Patient ID Card at UK airport security. Bypass the metal detectors and have a full body frisk. Return legs are hit and miss depending on the comprehension of foreign airport security. Turkey was a problem once, also one of the smaller Greek Islands, but in the main things go smoothly. :)

They let you wear your SHOES! and a WATCH! I'm betting on the watch. This was disappointing to read. I flew the first time since surgery recently and had no problems with the alarm. I had my Medtronics card ready with my photo id, but didn't need it.
I've wondered if the airline industry shouldn't just issue flight clothes, like the hospitals:rolleyes:.

They let you wear your SHOES! and a WATCH! I'm betting on the watch. This was disappointing to read. I flew the first time since surgery recently and had no problems with the alarm. I had my Medtronics card ready with my photo id, but didn't need it.
I've wondered if the airline industry shouldn't just issue flight clothes, like the hospitals:rolleyes:.

It's only in the States that they routinely make you take off your shoes.

Here I think it depends on the shoes, I have had to remove them at times. As for the watch, it has never caused the alarms to sound before nor has my MedicAlert bracelet, perhaps Manchester has extra sensitive equipment.

Latest posts

Back